Cosplay

Solitudes_Grace

This is sort of a nerdy topic, but I thought I might make a thread about cosplaying. For those who are unaware, cosplay is an activity where a person dresses up as a character from a novel, movie, television series, comic, video game, anime, etc. Often cosplayers will have photos taken of themselves or go to conventions in costume. A lot of people really get into it, and a subculture has even sort of formed around it. Many cosplayers even make their costumes from scratch. Anyway, I have been finding cosplay more and more interesting lately. It seems like it could be a lot of fun. Has anyone here ever cosplayed? Did you have fun? Who did you cosplay as? For anyone who has never cosplayed, who would you like to cosplay as if you had the opportunity to do so?

I have never cosplayed before (unless you count a really lame V from V for Vendetta costume I wore for Halloween once). I probably never will since I am so shy; I'm even a little embarrassed for simply making this thread about it. Plus, it can be a lot of work if your costume is very elaborate. Regardless, I still think I might enjoy cosplaying as Naoya from the video game Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor or as Tsukasa from the anime .hack//SIGN if I ever actually did cosplay. I probably wouldn't even need a wig for these two characters since I could just cut my hair and use some temporary hair dye. Sooo...yeah...

bg_naoya_top.jpg

Naoya from Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

hacksign_10_1024.bmp

Tsukasa from .hack//SIGN (he is also the character I use for my avatar)

Last edited:

Niteowl

Ooooh don't be embarrassed for the thread - I think cosplay is REALLY cool. I've never done it, but I've got a crazy amount of admiration for people who do. I've just never had the opportunity - I think it would be great fun. I'd do it.

If you ever wanted to go to a cosplay event, you COULD start out dressing up as a masked or hooded character. I don't know which characters you might like which wear masks, but then nobody would be able to see YOU - you could feel more in-character, and maybe next time you wouldn't be so shy about it. I'm not sure who you could go with, like if you have any friends or family who would do it too, but on a cosplay forum I bet you could meet a few people who will be going in advance - or you might group up with similarly dressed cosplayers. People dressed as the Justice League might tend to congregate, for pictures I suppose.

You can also just have a bit of fun with the idea, and make some costumes to wear at home - or even just to keep and not wear. You can take pictures still. I don't know what your living arrangements are, but if you live with family, I can relate. I wouldn't start walking round the house in a Batman cape but, actually, sometimes you just have to do it. Somebody at college turned up a few times dressed as a frog. No one really thought anything of it after so many times, haha. I also think it's immensely creative, making costumes and dressing up - I hope you feel confident to do it at some point.

The customary picture: (just look at that helmet)

dak1n3-big-daddy-hit-girl.jpg

Last edited:

Solitudes_Grace

Glad you think cosplay is cool :)

I've never done it, but I've got a crazy amount of admiration for people who do.
I do too.
If you ever wanted to go to a cosplay event, you COULD start out dressing up as a masked or hooded character. I don't know which characters you might like which wear masks, but then nobody would be able to see YOU - you could feel more in-character, and maybe next time you wouldn't be so shy about it.
Great idea. That would be much easier.

You can also just have a bit of fun with the idea, and make some costumes to wear at home - or even just to keep and not wear. You can take pictures still. I don't know what your living arrangements are, but if you live with family, I can relate.
Yeah, if only I lived alone. I don't even have my own room. Maybe when I get my own place one day, I can experiment at home.

Epic Kick-Ass picture!

Last edited:

chibiXphantom

sooo many characters i wanna cosplay, but im really wanting to cosplay as Chell from Portal 2
images

just need a portal gun really

other ones i wanna cosplay as: splicer from bioshock, a nurse from Silent Hill, Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid), alois trancy from black butler, riku from kingdom hearts 2.... i wish i had money or sewing ability

and im one of those people who would just wear a cosplay to the mall just to be weird cause its fun lol

WeirdyMcGee

A girl I knew in highschool, went to University to do costume design for stage.
All of her first and second year projects were cosplay from anime/videogames.

I'd been to quite a few conventions during highschool, so I cosplayed some, yeah.
Some people just have the perfect androgynous face that they can pull off any costume. I don't. haha

I cosplayed a few times but it's been negative for me since I have been told I am too ugly to cosplay girls with my long nose and that I look like a man. So the last time I cosplayed was in April as Secret Police Miku since she wears a face mask. Even then I felt so ugly that I quickly changed out of my costume.

The year before I was Stocking from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. (Too scared to show my Stocking cosplay)

Yet I wear Lolita (japanese street fashion) and am fine with myself, haha. Maybe it's because I pile on the makeup, fake lashes, circle lenses and wigs.

My horrible Secret Police Miku cosplay. The guy next to me is Naoto Hirooka from the Japanese gothic/punk clothing brand h.Naoto.
537059_376589592374553_1658308810_n.jpg

God, that wig was a pain. I dunno if I will ever cosplay again though, the cosplay world can be pretty harsh when it comes to looks.