Dealing with Hyperhidrosis

Phoenix_Elite

I'm 14 years old and I have palmar, plantar, as well as some minor axillary hyperhidrosis. I have learned as much as I can about the condition. I use Drionic HF (iontophoresis), normally for 10 through 15 days monthly. I've noticed it tends to work for about two weeks max, and then I have to go back to it, which is, needless to say, somewhat frustrating. You might think my case is extreme, but I wouldn't classify it as such. I'm going to start treatment again today and try a new routine: 30-minute treatments for 14 days followed by 30-minute treatments say, every Monday and Friday (feedback if you please). Additionally, I use a solution that contains 20% Aluminum Chloride and 93% Ethyl Alcohol v/v every night on the hands and feet. I also apply a spray called 'Arrid Extra Dry' which contains 24.6% Aluminum Chlorohydrate once or twice a day (although this may be just for show). :wink:

My condition is accompanied by hypersensitivity, which makes it even worse. It is either only present when I'm sweating or much more perceivable. Concerning this, my question is as follows: is this normal?

What are perhaps the most annoying parts of it are: the evident social embarassment issues that occur, but I play the piano, and I feel like I can't play half as good when I'm sweating, which is only when I'm on my own; and my belief that it may be psychological make me feel as if regardless of what I do there is no way to control this condition, even short-term (except with iontophoresis- perhaps I am partly writing this seeking moral support from those who understand what hyperhidrosis is like). Regarding this, I know that I get overly anxious when I'm at school (long and dreary story), but I don't know if it applies to a mere trip to the mall with my family, on which case I have no reason to feel, nor do I belive I feel, anxious. Still, I am not yet ready to discard the possibility, although I'm trying to set it aside. :)

Finally, I wanted to ask whether Anticholinergics (pills) such as Avert and Robinul were worth a try, and whether the side effects were serious. If they are worth a try, which do you recommend?

I would appreciate it if you guys could comment on my story and compare yours, as as on the treatment I'm applying, for I'm afraid it might be a bit harsh, as well as the few questions I posted. I Googled hyperhidrosis (for the hundredth time) and came upon this board, which seems to be a good site to discuss hyperhidrosis.

Any and all contributions will be appreciated. Thanks! :D

iDShaDoW

Iontophoresis works as you said, for about 2 weeks max.

Typically you're supposed to do 10-15 days of treatment to get it going and from there you have to do a maintenance treatment once or twice per week. Of course this all varies from individual to individual but you can't stop as soon as you see results.

Phoenix_Elite

Thanks. That's precisely what I was doing, because it said on the manual that I would know, more or less, when to stop the treatment, so I thought that when I stopped sweating that would be it, but I'll keep it up longer. I have to order batteries by the way, but the Drionic website isn't working, for some reason.

striker

Excess sweating happens when there is too much heat in your body. you need to cool your body.

I used to have excess sweating. Now I don't.

What did I change?

My diet.

One important thing you need to understand about your food.
The heating or the cooling quality of the food that you eat.

like Meats heat your body up, so does spicy hot food. Eat less of these.

Watered down Buttermilk with salt & cucumbers cool you down.

Likewise every food that you take either heat you up or cool you down.

There are other things that happen when your body is heating up

things like Acidity, Boils, pimples, Anger etc.. all theses are related to the heat element in your body.

Eat sweet, bitter tastes and avoid salty, sour and hot spicy foods.