Demonic experiences

Interesting,I wonder how they did this and if more light from the full moon had anything to do with this.
About demons,meh,the real demons are people and they are worshipped by other people.....

Sleep and the phases of the Moon: Lunacy? | The Economist
"Those data came from a study on body clocks and sleep patterns they had conducted a decade earlier at the Centre for Chronobiology at the University of Basel, where they work. Between 2000 and 2003 they had looked at the effect of the daily body clock on the sleep patterns of 33 volunteers. The protocol they had used was perfect. Volunteers were shut away from daylight (and therefore also from moonlight) for days at a time, so their sleep patterns could not be affected by the illumination a full Moon brings. And it was also the ultimate in double-blind experiments. Neither the participants nor the organisers could possibly have been biased by knowing the experiment was intended to look at the effect of the full Moon, since at the time it was conducted it wasn’t."

AGR

Sleep and the phases of the Moon: Lunacy? | The Economist
"Those data came from a study on body clocks and sleep patterns they had conducted a decade earlier at the Centre for Chronobiology at the University of Basel, where they work. Between 2000 and 2003 they had looked at the effect of the daily body clock on the sleep patterns of 33 volunteers. The protocol they had used was perfect. Volunteers were shut away from daylight (and therefore also from moonlight) for days at a time, so their sleep patterns could not be affected by the illumination a full Moon brings. And it was also the ultimate in double-blind experiments. Neither the participants nor the organisers could possibly have been biased by knowing the experiment was intended to look at the effect of the full Moon, since at the time it was conducted it wasn’t."

I wonder how many "relics" behaviour from the past we still have it,I often find a lot of people still behave more like monkeys than human.....

R3K

I'll have a crazy lucid dream every few months or so. and by lucid dream I mean a dream where I'm semi-conscious and can control a lot of things. like if someone's chasing me i'll be like sh|t I need a gun and i'll stare at my palm and will it to be there, then *poof* an uzi will appear in my hand.

sometimes the lucid dreams are real rubbery though, like i'll know i'm dreaming and the physics will be odd, or i'll try and break something or manipulate an object but it won't behave the way I want it to.

also, if i'm having an annoying dream or I feel like i'm late for work, i'll do like a fkn wushu power clench with my whole body and force myself to wake up. then i'll chill out on my bed and drink a soda for a few minutes and go back to sleep and have a different dream (if i'm not actually late for work).

i'll have recurring nightmares with the same theme (failing classes in high school or college,) but no real demonic stuff. if a demon comes in my dreams i'll kick his @$$ lol.

Just trying for a balanced view here...

One of the most typical human trait is to see patterns where there are none. When you have such dream and it's not fullmoon, you either subconsciously ignore them or slightly move the date in your memory until it is a fullmoon. Whereas when there happens, by coincidence, to be a full moon, you see that as a proof of some sort
In my experience, every single full moon affects my thoughts & mood quite drastically. The pattern is - whenever the moon is full. In my view, 100% reliable effects = proof (???)

There is zero real evidence regarding anything demonic or supernatural. And that despite there being seven billion people on the planet. Why can't no single one seriously proof that? Answer: because such stuff doesn't exist
What if such stuff cannot be proven (to the conscious, rational, left-brain mind)?. Certain things are beyond our comprehension, and also beyond our current scientific instruments. Which means these phenomenon constantly evade being "proven" (ie by science).
Also, even if they only existed in the minds of such "afflicted" people, they are real to them, and so therefore do exist for them.

Flanscho

In my experience, every single full moon affects my thoughts & mood quite drastically. The pattern is - whenever the moon is full. In my view, 100% reliable effects = proof (???)

Everything you notice in any way does somehow have an effect on you, because your body perceives it. The tiny pebble beneath your shoe, the cloud you only subconsciously notice at the sky. The woman with the brown t-shirt that walked passed you two years ago. Everything. But how is that proof that demons exist? :thinking:

What if such stuff cannot be proven (to the conscious, rational, left-brain mind)?

If the existence of something can not be proven, how do you know that it exists at all? :idontknow: And if you don't know that it exists, and if you can't prove that it exists, and if there is no logical theory why it would exist, why would it matter?

Kiwong

The mind is a powerful thing. My mind made me believe I was dieing, enough for me to visit emergency wards all over the country. Of course I wasn't. They were panic attacks. That horrible intensely physical feeling was from my mind. I have learnt to be very careful with what my irrational mind will lead me to believe. My mind can be very convincing in what it would like me to believe, and that can be damaging to my health. A lot of it is wrong, and a part of the illness I have.

Last edited:

Eidie

As a teen, I used to think that I had demonic encounters at night while sleeping but it was just sleep paralysis. In these encounters, I'd see a dark, smoky shape looming over me and then find it very hard to breathe as if I was suffocating. I'd struggle to move but absolutely couldn't, it was pretty awful. Doesn't happen as much now but thinking about it gives me the wiggins.

Bronson99

I'll have a crazy lucid dream every few months or so. and by lucid dream I mean a dream where I'm semi-conscious and can control a lot of things. like if someone's chasing me i'll be like sh|t I need a gun and i'll stare at my palm and will it to be there, then *poof* an uzi will appear in my hand.

sometimes the lucid dreams are real rubbery though, like i'll know i'm dreaming and the physics will be odd, or i'll try and break something or manipulate an object but it won't behave the way I want it to.

Lately I've been dreaming of girls in public patting me on the backside. It's never happened to me before, but should it happen, I don't think I'd complain :bigsmile:

(Before anyone gets all up in arms about this strange comment, it's actually referencing another thread I found interesting)

Bronson99

If the existence of something can not be proven, how do you know that it exists at all? :idontknow: And if you don't know that it exists, and if you can't prove that it exists, and if there is no logical theory why it would exist, why would it matter?

Well if somebody perceives something highly unlikely/supernatural as a part of their actual conscious reality, and such a person is otherwise normal and not bothering you.. don't you think they should be treated normally? Showing your natural skepticism is one thing, but tearing down their sandcastle is another thing entirely.

Before I was married, when I was 19 and my wife was 18, we rented an old house. A huge brick house with a big in ground pool and like 6 bedrooms. Great big house. It was really dirt cheap though. After we moved in the owner told me that way back in like the 1960's there had been a triple murder and a suicide in the house. A man killed two women and another man and then killed himself. I told him not to ever tell my old lady about it cause I knew she wouldn't stay there if she knew. It was just the two of us in that big house and it was weird. It would get real hot in the house and then get real cold real quick, like see your breath cold. I worked 3rd shift then and I would sleep after she left for work and it wasn't uncommon to wake up hearing voices or footsteps on the hardwood floors. Lights would turn on and off on their own. A burning candle would go out all of a sudden as if it had been blown out. Open doors would slam shut. I never told her about what had happened in that house until years after we had moved out. She seen the same things I did and heard the same things, and when guests would be there with us they seen it too. Finally we just got used to weird things happening and it was normal. I don't know if that qualifies as demonic or not.

Flanscho

Well if somebody perceives something highly unlikely/supernatural as a part of their actual conscious reality, and such a person is otherwise normal and not bothering you.. don't you think they should be treated normally?

:thinking: Well, but if that person perceives something that does actually exist, then that means that the existence of it can be proven. :idontknow:

I never said they should not be treated normally. I just said that to me, it makes no sense that anything like demons exists.

TailsAlone

No "demonic experiences" here. I've got enough real problems, I don't bother with ghosts and demons. And if they exist, they don't bother with me either.

Trishanku

Well sometimes I doubt I myself have become a demon :mad: (no pun intended), i mean with all the noise anxiety, hyper vigilance and the way my body language is. sometimes I seriously began to consider I was possessed or some black magic was done on me and my family, sounds schizophrenic. I know but then such doubts vanished as I began to think how the mind plays tricks on reality, perception and especially beliefs. So till now I haven't had any demonic experience as some of you guys have experienced. But I find such things very Interesting.

Last edited:

Trishanku

Reminded me of this recent study...
Blame the Moon for Bad Sleep?
"In the new study, Professor Christian Cajochen, of the University of Basel's Psychiatric Hospital, and his team studied 33 volunteers, male and female, in two age groups in the lab while they slept. Their brain patterns were monitored while sleeping, along with eye movements and more.

The data show that around the full moon, brain activity related to deep sleep dropped by 30%. People also took 5 minutes longer to fall asleep, and they slept for 20 minutes less time overall. Study participants felt as though their sleep was poorer when the moon was full, and they showed reduced levels of melatonin, a hormone known to help control sleep and wake cycles."

I'll share a few observations that i see here culturally, religiously and socially that happens in this part of the world which is observed in accordance with the lunar phases. Infact before the modern calendar people here had a calender which was astronomically closer observing the movements of stars and satellite i.e, the moon. The lunar phases was used to determine the months and stuff like that and solar movements was used to determine seasons and many such intriguing stuff.

even though the scientific proof says otherwise and also the pseudo scientific claim of saying human body consist whatever percent of water and how we see tides in the ocean and water and the body all that blah blah, keep them aside.

the lunar phases have high importance culturally, socially and religiously in our part of the world. culturally moon is identified with fertility and especially with the Mind, there are many cultural beliefs and observations that are made in accordance with the lunar phase, socially the waxing and wanning phases of the moon determine the performance or undertaking auspicious activities, avoidance of travel and any new activity of the days of new moon is observed and what I personally observe not whether it's scientific or not, it is socially and culturally accepted what has been observed for thousands of years even before Buddha, muc before the Vedic era.

Now religiously new moon is seen as the most inauspicious time in the lunar calendar the darkness is metaphorically identified with bad effects. This belief makes people especially Hindus attending temples and observing religious self discipline. especially the 11th day of the waxing and the wanning phase people fast the whole day. this day is called 'Ekadashi' one may google it. The 14th day of the wanning phase people observe night long Vigilance by staying wakeful all night and into the next day this is called as Shiva rartri or the night of the Shiva and biggest of the such night falls during the transition of season from winter to summer during Maagha masa, whole day fasting is observed. there is even a practise of increasing the food intake during waxing and decreasing the amount of food taken during the wanning.

Now coming to spiritual part of it, Enlightment! Buddha's enlighment is celebrated as Buddha 'Pournami' meaning full moon poornima, pournami, Vaysa Pournami or Guru poornima again on a full moon. Infact all the religious festivals of Hindus are in accordance with the lunar phases. Any activity performed and it's result is identified with the waxing as regeneration and the wanning for decline, is the Hindu thought pattern. The things I am sharing is only the tip of the iceberg of what actually has deep spiritual influences on religious, cultural and social beliefs and observation connected with the lunar phases. like wise the Solar phases, the movement of the sun from the equator upwards nothern ascension and southern descent of the sun.

So it is up to the person who can practice and observe the subtle influences that may be seen. how come scientific world is still in the dark regarding this. may be they call this pseudo science, pscho spiritual or something like that. but religiously, culturally, socially and more importantly spiritually Lunar phases have high importance.

Last edited:
Everything you notice in any way does somehow have an effect on you, because your body perceives it. The tiny pebble beneath your shoe, the cloud you only subconsciously notice at the sky. The woman with the brown t-shirt that walked passed you two years ago. Everything. But how is that proof that demons exist? :thinking:
Sometimes i am unaware that it's full moon, yet i feel the effects. And it's only by pure chance, or a hunch, that i check outside, to see that it's a full moon. So, i did not notice the full moon consciously .. but it still affects me. (no relevance to demons/etc, but does point out that even without scientific proof, there can still be "proven" effects - which can be experienced but not measured)
Edit: Also something to consider is that we are 60% water, and if the moon affects the tides like it does, you would think that it affects us quite significantly as well :question:

What if such stuff cannot be proven (to the conscious, rational, left-brain mind)?. Certain things are beyond our comprehension, and also beyond our current scientific instruments. Which means these phenomenon constantly evade being "proven" (ie by science).
Also, even if they only existed in the minds of such "afflicted" people, they are real to them, and so therefore do exist for them
But neither do you know that it doesn't exist.
Logic can only take us so far. Most of life is totally out of our control, and logic can't affect that .. so it makes sense that a lot of things in this universe are beyond our logical understanding.

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
I've had bad dreams, but nothing like that happen. However, some people apparently claim such things happen to them.. and from what I understand, many believe these encounters are happening literally. :eek: Apparently lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis and such are inadequate explanations, for such people. Well, if science cannot account for "I'm 100% sure it really happened"... what can?

Your own experience, which you apparently didn´t have. Besides crappy dreams which I usually have I sometimes have nightmares, like when everyone I deal with turns into a psycho. But this is a classical nightmare. Sleep paralysis with those demon experiences is something else. With me it is mostly dependent on my body weight (it happens if I am underweight or have my body clean after dieting), or also if there is full moon. I have also read sleep paralysis happens more to people who sleep on their back which I do. I tend to believe things like this enable the body to be a better medium which then tunes to the astral and to these creatures.

It´s also usually people who never experienced it who seem to be obsessed with this topic, still have the need to discuss it in order to deny it exists, or make fun of it etc. Thinking "wow demons, how exciting", hahaha. Seems to me a bit childish.

I for one just say I sometimes have it, but I have just accepted it as it is and don´t have the need to stirr shit about it all the time. Whatever it is, it is a very scary experience at the moment it happens, but I don´t dwell on it and just go on live my life like usually. I hope despite it´s scary, it isn´t dangerous or life threatening.

Flanscho

But neither do you know that it doesn't exist.
Logic can only take us so far. Most of life is totally out of our control, and logic can't affect that .. so it makes sense that a lot of things in this universe are beyond our logical understanding.

You also can't prove that there is no anteater the size of our moon floating through space, wearing a tutu and singing the North Korean national anthem. And you can't prove that after life there won't be some gargantuan octopus, turning you into ink and using it to write haikus about the mating habits of jellyfish.
Or in other words: we can make up about anything that can't be disproven and claim it's real. Which has two results.

a) the important point is to prove that something IS one way or another. Not to randomly claim stuff and then ask for others to disprove it, while you are having not the slightest evidence that what you claim is true.

b) by using the knowledge we have of things that are most likely one way or another, we can estimate how likely it is that something does exist or not.

coyote

what exists and what doesn't exist depends entirely on whether it can be observed to exist

a scientist may claim that something doesn't exist because he is unable to observe any proof of that something's existence

but to the person who may have observed that same something, it DOES exist, regardless of whether he has any proof to offer