Depersonalization. Have you experienced it?

invisible_girl

I have struggled with many epispdes of depersonalization in times of high anxiety that can include dizziness and a sort of amnesia after the fact (not full amnesia, but a cloudy memory) depending how high the anxiety was during the event. Have you dealt with this and what are your experiences?

Enialis227

Yeah, I have felt like that before, but only when a depressive episodes was coming on after some hypo-mania (I am Bi-polar).
It just doesn't feel like the world is real any more, and that I don't really "exist". I know that I am there, but it just doesn't feel like that.
I never quite got used to dealing with it, but I started to feel it coming eventually, but even when I knew exactly what was going on, my existence just felt blank.

LittleMan

I have actually had this recently, getting a lot of brain fog, feeling very "unreal", and all of that. I was on the way back home from my doctor when I got a bad case of it. Luckily I got home before I broke down.

Morgan01

yeah that happened to me a few times when my anxiety was just realllly bad.. and everything just kept getting worse around that time.. I was also changing medicines a lot then too. Its mostly better now.
But that kind of stuff has always been up and down.. hopefully I can keep maintaining what I feel like now.. even though I still get intrusive thoughts I don't have full out panic attacks anymore and its not been as severe..
I stopped taking all me medicine now..
I think weed has been helping me honestly.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Yes, but I don't know if due to anxiety, because the feeling is almost constant, i think. Not sure really.

Jermaine569

I have suffered a lot by this anxiety and depression. I feel lot of stress and I can't able to be normal. I have tried lot of ways to avoid them but I can't. Later my friend advised me to go for Hypnosis and suggested a siteAfter participating in their various Hypnosis programs and Hypnotherapy I am able to feel lot of improvement in my self confidence and self control. Now I am free from depression and anxiety...

Last edited by a moderator:

lunarla

I just had an episode of this fairly recently. During the day I had been feeling really depressed and anxious and I started thinking about reality and then I just didn't feel right and that nothing around me as really real. Like a dream state. My mother was talking to me and at a certain point it seemed like I'd never seen her in my life. Scary stuff.

DarkSeeker

I had lots of problems with depersonalization in the past, I think I lived of my life being a mindless helpless doll in the hands of a madman. I never did things consciously, I simply followed my fears and watch myself react to them.

I find that consciously and physically purging my anger on my surroundings help, that punching bag is my new best friend.

I still struggle with derealization though, my brain will simply not believe that my surrounding is real. It's like it was stuck a good 10 years in the past, that's annoying as hell, I find myself poking the walls of the library just to make sure it's real. I also have a great deal remembering where I was last year, although I know I was exactly where I am now. Thinking about it, I feel the same about the other 2 years I lived after the nightmare that was High School ended. I have myself some serious doubts that I ever came out of there alive.

Last edited:

Liberty

Banned
I have struggled with many epispdes of depersonalization in times of high anxiety that can include dizziness and a sort of amnesia after the fact (not full amnesia, but a cloudy memory) depending how high the anxiety was during the event. Have you dealt with this and what are your experiences?

Happened to me before. Only one time since I've had SA though (2 years). I was in a grocery store and I bumped into someone I that I used to work with that I hadn't seen since I developed SA and I tried really hard to behave normally and talk and stuff. I guess I was pouring so much emotional and mental energy into the interaction that afterwards I was drained. I could tell I came off like an idiot because the guy was giving me some very strange looks as we parted ways. This upset me and then I still had to interact with the cash register lady and I was feeling very dizzy and lightheaded and she even asked me, "Is everything ok Sir?" I knew at that point I must have looked like I was having some sort of episode or something.

Thankfully that hasn't happened since.

Iseesky

Yes I have experienced this...It's so strange! I've gotten it so much though now that I can sort of snap out of it most of the time. Pretend to be normal for the few minutes that it's happening.

My first experience with it was when I was 15 or so. I had just gotten out of a movie and the theatre I was in was very crowded. I was feeling okay. My friend and I were ready to leave when a guy from school spotted me. I was very shy at the time, so seeing him was enough to set the whole thing off. I just went into this fog where I wasn't sure where I was and I wasn't sure how I got there. It's sort of hard to explain...Noises around me were muffled. I felt like I wasn't listening, but yet I was talking to this guy and his friend. I felt like I was somewhere else. Like my body was on autopilot while my brain was trying to comprehend what was going on. I couldn't remember what I said to the guy afterwards. We finally got out of the theatre and I just kept saying to my friend 'oh my God, that was so weird...am I actually here? Whoa...I feel like I'm not even here right now. Whoa, this is crazy. Oh my God this is weird...' Now that I think about it, it was pretty funny. She just kept asking me if I was okay and was really scared.

Reebootnow

Right now I'm going thro this lost sense of self. I've been diagnosed with high anxiety depression and ADHD. The shrinks I've been to never said anything about AvPD. After looking into this disorder a lot and looking at all your posts I have every one of these symptoms. The depersonalization I have from going through all this sucks. It just seems like I'm not the same person as I used to be. It does help me to know I'm not the only one in the world that feels like this. Posting and asking questions on here are good therapy. I thank everyone for their posts.

It happens to me, alot. I feel a brain fog coming up, I feel dizzy, I can't see clearly.
I start to feel like I'm living in a dream. I feel disconnected between my body, emotions, and thoughts. I feel like I need to wake up. But sadly, I'm living in the nightmare.

Some good things for treating depersonalization;
*Phosphorus
*Magnesium
*Vitamin B12 (not always neccesary)
*Apple Cider (non-alcoholic drink)
*Or might check if your medication cause the problem.

Last edited:

Kiwong

I get a sense of unreality about my life. Is this really my life, is this who I am, do I really have this mental illness?

IamThisOne

I feel like this pretty much constantly. It is like I am in a daze and nothing is real. I think it might be more derealization for me. In times of high anxiety and depression it is worse.