Depression

lithium

I suffer from depression. I get depressed/sad randomly in the day, and it just ruins my whole outlook on life. It also occurs at night and in the mornings, I just was wondering if anti-depressants would be in anyway helpful? Is anyone taking anti-depressants that can tell me how they affect you, and where should I go to get a prescription and so on.

playthepsychedelic

it depends on the country you live in, although i remember oxycodon (vicodin) being a pretty powerful antidepressant. Best way to get a prescription would be your GP, just tell him how serious your problem is and how it ruins your life...
remember antidepressant are only a temporarely solution, its more likely that a doctor would prescribe them in combination with therapy/...

rand0m_guy

I took anti-depressants in my early 20's for quite a few years, and they helped me with some symptoms such as sleep, appetite, general mood.

Everyone is different, but they can and do help a lot of people. I think around 8/10 people get a positive response from taking them.

I don't think AD's are the cure for depression, but they can lift the symptoms enough to allow the person to help themselves in other ways. (ie, diet, exercise, therapy etc).

A depressed mind can't always help itself.

I think you should probably go and visit a doctor sooner rather than later. Don't feel ashamed to do so either, we all need help at times - they see people with mental problems every day.

When I first went and was asked what my problem was, I just said 'I'm depressed' and the doctor took over from there. They're normally very understanding.

Hope you feel a bit better soon - good luck. :)

cosmosis

Keep in mind that Anti-depressants won't make you feel 'good', they have more of a numbing effect. You might feel less pain and sadness, but you will also feel less joy and happiness. In other words you won't jump out of bed in the morning and start singing to the birds..you just won't feel much of anything...speaking from my own experience.

stardog

Keep in mind that Anti-depressants won't make you feel 'good', they have more of a numbing effect. You might feel less pain and sadness, but you will also feel less joy and happiness. In other words you won't jump out of bed in the morning and start singing to the birds..you just won't feel much of anything...speaking from my own experience.

Well, speaking as a sceptic, I'm feeling better in general since I started taking AD's a few weeks ago...more hopeful, less anxiety etc...obviously I'm not genuinely happy, I wouldn't expect to be atm, but the negative thinking seems to be much reduced. I feel I'm starting to climb out of the rut I've been in for the last few years.

I think doing some therapy (like CBT) is really important whilst on meds, or the change will only be temporary. I know I don't want to be reliant on medication for the rest of my life just to feel some kind of artificial happiness, I want to live my life & gain some confidence that's the end goal..

Last edited:

lettypagb

the thing with meds is that takes a long time to start working and makes you more depressed during some time.

rand0m_guy

I exercise quite a lot myself, and whilst I agree it's amazing to maintain good mental health, and can probably treat mild depression, it really isn't going to touch the sides if someone is going through a hardcore depressive episode.

In regards to making you feel numb, I've felt more emotionally numb when not being on them. Yeah, some people have experienced emotional numbness on them, but I'd say them people are in a minority.

I do think AD's are over-prescribed, and yeah, some people will always get adverse effects from them, the same as any drug, but the possible benefits of them FAR outweigh the risk of taking them. Statistics prove this. They've saved literally thousand of life's.

And yeah, the nature of how they work does mean that they take a while to take effect; you need to take them for at least 6 weeks until they're fully in your system. If you've not had any response by then, the doc will then consider upping the dosage, or changing the type of AD to get a better response.

I don't think we should put the OP of wanting to give them a go, that's all.

SammyT

Wow rand0m guy well put - I'd have to agree with that 100%

By the way I seriously doubt any GP will prescribe oxycodone for depression as that is a highly addictive opiate, I know myself opiates are great for lifting mood but not a long term option really ;)

Actually I take cymbalta and it not only depletes my depression almost completely but it also makes me feel just awesome! But it took like 2 months for it to really start working. Just don't be like me and stop taking them suddenly because you think you're all better...you'll go through withdrawals like I am right now and they're not fun...I haven't slept in 2 days!!!

oh and I should add they made me even more depressed and suicidal the first 2 weeks I was on them but if you stick with them they can really help :)