Did anyone ever turn u down for telling them ur issues?

Darker Than Black

Yes

I was talking to a classmate of mine, which I considered close in grade 10

Once, I told him "I'm going to see a psychiatrist" And he was like

"O.O, Stay the hell away from me!!!"

So I said "It's just family doctor"

Yesterday, I asked him online:

Me : i have a random question

him: ok

me: how do u feel about people with psychological disorders?

him: well to be honest i dont know

me: what if it was ur brother?

him: then unfortunately i would feel sorry for him, however at the same time i wouldn't get close i dont think, its just that fear in the back of your mind.

me: what if the disorder is nothing extreme, like hurting people?

him: for me personally, it would probably be the same thing, i would feel sorry that they have such a condition, however i would not want to step in and get too close,

me: how do feel about peole that don't talk much?

him: they're alright, it just depends on about what, and at what times

Me: what about at all times?

him: then for sure it will get annoying, but also you have to be tolerant as well

Ya..Thats how it went, I don't think I'll ever get somebody in real life to open up to :(

dooby-duck

I've never told anyone, but it must be obvious to at least some of the people who know me. Mental health problems must be difficult for people to understand as it is hard to explain them to people. A physical health problem you can describe to them and they can understand. Also you start discussing mental health problems with people and they instantly start thinking of the mental health issues discussed in the media. These are always the extreme end of the spectrum, so no wonder people don't know how to handle it. They probably don't appreciate the wide variety of mental health issues, and the wide spectrum of the effect of this on people. It's like they think mental problem equals insane murderer waiting to push random people in front of trains or stab them.

Darker Than Black

Hey, I just told somebody online that I had SA!!!

Cuz I've noticed he have a condition too since high school, so I decided to open up. I hope that wasn't his roomate on MSN.

he have a condition where he keep on repeating the same words, and I used to and still a little have this condition where I keep whistling, and some OCD problems. I do that when ever I'm in a lot of pressure, but I've been trying to over come it by shear will power, and its going kinda ok.

Anyways, he was like "lol" and "its ok"

and like "Me and you both have it" (the OCD I mean) not SA...

I hope he doesn't "use it against me" and start being an ass about it...

mmmm

Are you telling me that your friend rejected you for seeing a shrink before he knew what the issue was? That, my friend, is totally unacceptable. What if you were seeking help after being mugged or losing a loved one? I don't get angry very easily but right now I can feel my nose hairs crackling for you. GRRR

I've never sought therepy myself but if I suffered from depression, I wouldn't own up to having a psychological disorder. I would say something like "I went to see my GP (not a shrink) and apparently my brain has trouble manufacturing happy hormones. How cool is that?" And maybe follow it up with a goofy grin or giggle so that they could not be quite sure whether I was being serious. Like I said, I've never been in the situation but I immagine this would be a good way to test the water and see whether you can rely on this person and confide in them further.

Jake123

Banned
I tend to avoid ignorant people like that. They're not worth my time. Just trash him, he's useless.

Sinar_Matahari

I have and this is how I know who will be by my side when the shit hits the fan and who won't. It's good to know where I stand and where others stand but I won't let it bother me.

dpr

Yes

him: then unfortunately i would feel sorry for him, however at the same time i wouldn't get close i dont think, its just that fear in the back of your mind.

him: for me personally, it would probably be the same thing, i would feel sorry that they have such a condition, however i would not want to step in and get too close,

him: then for sure it will get annoying, but also you have to be tolerant as well

Ya..Thats how it went, I don't think I'll ever get somebody in real life to open up to :(

It sounds like he is just ignorant of the facts because he doesn't understand mental disorders at all. He's probably never come across it in his life. There are a lot of people who don't understand that kind of thing just because they haven't been exposed to it.

However, I think you'd be surprised how many people are cool with it, especially SA.

There are these PSA's on TV nowadays, you may have seen them. They show people who have achieved things in their lives and they have a mental illness. The latest one is this stand-up comic, and at the end it says "I'm a stand-up comic, I have a job and a family, and I have a mental illness." I like these PSA's. I think it helps to educate people. The more people learn about these disorders, the less likely they will be afraid that you are going to hurt them or whatever.

I have a friend who is schizophrenic, and before I learned about it, I was sort of afraid for my safety, since the only thing people hear about schizophrenics in the news is the bad shit (like when they stop taking their meds and push someone in front of a train or something). But of course, my fears were just based on ignorance. People always fear the strange and unknown, right?

Darker Than Black

Hey, its me again.

I said this before, I told someone (else) on MSN I had SA, and his been nice to me

Yesterday, On MSN, he was like "I'll help you with it"

And he asked me to volunteer with him, and go jogging..

I was like in my mind

"Whoa, I did not expect this" because I just wanted some real life support, to let somebody know, u know?

Maybe he'll invite me to one of his friend's parties or something..where I would totally freak out, and probably faint too.

So, I guess some people understands, That's good

Mack_Berserk

Yes

Yea, I agree with dpr. Not everyone out there is 'ignorantly' afraid of mental/personality disorders. The sad truth is, many people have at least one, and may not realize it.

Also, I think it's those friends who don't know much about your SA but stick with you that are hard to find, which is pretty much what Serafina said as well.

Hey, its me again.

I said this before, I told someone (else) on MSN I had SA, and his been nice to me

Yesterday, On MSN, he was like "I'll help you with it"

And he asked me to volunteer with him, and go jogging..

I was like in my mind

"Whoa, I did not expect this" because I just wanted some real life support, to let somebody know, u know?

Maybe he'll invite me to one of his friend's parties or something..where I would totally freak out, and probably faint too.

So, I guess some people understands, That's good

Glad to hear it :)

Last edited:

LadyWench

Yes

Wow. I can't believe how insensitive that guy is. What the hell is wrong with him? He can't accept someone with a mental disability? What a worthless human being. I'm sorry, but his "feelings" about psychological disorders really disturbs me. And he thinks WE'RE the screwed up ones?

Try not to worry about this person that much. Really, his opinion doesn't matter if that's the way he thinks of you and others with mental issues. Nobody is 100% sane and stable. I hate people that act like him. How ignorant can one person be, honestly?

Kinetik

I usually keep my issues under wraps until I'm more established with a person. Even then, they only hear about my problems in drips and drabs. I'd never openly pour my heart out or demand attention from people. That's completely self-alienating.

forgetmenots

Yeah, I have gone through things far worse than SA while still having SA. I can be very close with someone, tell them my "problems" and half the time I'll never see them again. But, really, I wouldn't want those shallow people in my life, so I just let it go. Of course I'll mope and dwell on it for a while, but eventually I just have to ask myself, "would you want to be around someone so close-minded?" Definitely not.

AGR

I think its best to not tell people,only tell if you are close,words spread fast and you will surely be treated different,I only told some friends because I had no way out,it was this or they would be thinking I was gay and maybe drift away from me,they actually understood well for the rest of time we were friends.

NickyNacker

no one has ever said that was the reason, but i'm sure some people have avoided getting close to me or talking to me in general because of my problems.. :/

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I couldn't stand having a friend like that. I generally do not speak to my friends about my problems (they don't know anything about my situation), however, I do know that I can talk to them about such things. I help my (close) friends with problems, we talk about things. Things like self-harm, depression, suicide, self-esteem, general day-to-day angst... They let me know that I can talk to them about "problems."
Essential to forming lasting & meaningful relationships.