Did you have a imaginary friend

Xervello

What is an imaginary friend, exactly? I mean, do people actually imagine a visual representation of a person that they're talking to? If so, then no. But I talk to myself ALL the time. If I'm cooking food and something occurs to me I'll pretend (in my head or sometimes aloud) that I'm having a conversation with a friend, some imagined stranger or (hilariously enough) a celebrity. Same with just about any other daily task or activity at any given time. I talk a lot on the toilet, too, ha ha. The only one non-imaginary I talk with often is my puppy. Strange how given this context that talking to a dog is the most normal of my behavior. Though I do talk a decent amount on cam to a human. So I'm not completely crazy. Not completely.

gummybear22

What is an imaginary friend, exactly? I mean, do people actually imagine a visual representation of a person that they're talking to? If so, then no. But I talk to myself ALL the time. If I'm cooking food and something occurs to me I'll pretend (in my head or sometimes aloud) that I'm having a conversation with a friend, some imagined stranger or (hilariously enough) a celebrity. Same with just about any other daily task or activity at any given time. I talk a lot on the toilet, too, ha ha. The only one non-imaginary I talk with often is my puppy. Strange how given this context that talking to a dog is the most normal of my behavior. Though I do talk a decent amount on cam to a human. So I'm not completely crazy. Not completely.

i keep learning things about you :p i didn't know you did toilet talk. but i'm glad you're quasi normal cuz of talkin with your cammin human :D

RescueMeFan

I did!! There's even a vacation picture of me as a young girl in Florida, and I was walking in some nature park with my parents, and you see me holding out my hand. I was holding my imaginary friend's hand, haha!

I also had an imaginary German Shepherd, because as a kid I always wanted one, but my parents wouldn't let me get one.

NaomiV

A had an imaginary friend as a kid because my parents were constantly moving us around and I had no social skills but eventually she stopped showing up. However, a few years ago I struggled with some issues that I didn't feel comfortable talking to anyone else about. As a result, I created a person in my head who was totally different from me that could help me figure things out. He helped me see new perspectives and I practiced having conversations with him also. It helped me deal with some strong emotions and built up the courage in me to be more social. I did that for a couple years, but now I have a tight nit group of friends (real ones) and don't really need him anymore (although he shows up when I'm daydreaming every once in a while). I eventually told a close friend about him and she thought it was totally normal and even knew several other people who did similar things. I thinks it fine so long as the friend motivates you to be a better person and doesn't drag you down.

chev

I don't think it's weird to have an imaginary friend as an adult. If you think it's something that could help you, then go for it. I had imaginary friends as a kid. When my "real" friends weren't being very loyal/good friends, then I'd make believe that I had a real friend sitting next to me in school. I had pretend conversations in my head, and I also would imagine the friend having to go through the school/stuff that I was going through. It kind of helped to pretend there was someone else to "sympathize with/be there for me."