Difference Between Social Phobia and Avodant Personality Disorder Defined

HopelessMess

I once read this explanation of what true Avoidant Personality Disorder(APD) is on another board. I'm not sure where the guy got it from, but I believe it was actually from some Psychologists book. In other words, he didn't just make it up ;)

People with APD differ from social phobics in that social phobics avoid unpleasant SOCIAL situations.

Whereas, people with APD are likely to avoid or procrastinate on ANY unpleasant situation. It could be something as simple as working out or even doing the dishes. Avoidants also tend to try to avoid even thinking about anything unpleasant, preferring to distract themselves with something that prevents their mind from focussing on unpleasant thoughts.

So, if you have SP and frequently find yourself "keeping busy" with some mundane task like watching TV or playing video games to avoid thinking about your social problems, you have a BIT of APD. If you find yourself distracting with these things just to keep from thinking about your general anxiety, or simple slightly unpleasant things like starting a new project, doing some work/homework, etc, then you have full-blown Avoidant Personality Disorder.

I agree with this definition, as I am CONSTANTLY finding ways to distract myself from life: video games, the internet, booze, Facebook, message boards :D. I'm definitely a true Avoidant.

I just posted this deep in another thread over on the SP board, but to be honest I don't think most people even read several pages into most threads, so I thought I'd run it by my "fellow avoidants".

Does this definition fit for most of you?

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
This tendency to label everything in today's society is getting really stupid. People will soon wonder: "I don't like washing dishes, oh I must be Avpd" and rush to the doctor :D.

HopelessMess

Darryl said:
Have you been diagnosed Avpd or still trying to work it out?
Nah, only self-diagnosed. But considering that I avoid absolutely EVERY unpleasant situation in my life, I think it's safe to say I have APD. By the way, when did the v get added to the abbreviation? I used to come on similar boards to this one and Avoidant Personality Disorder used to always be abbreviated APD. I'm guessing the v was added to separate it from some other personality disorder with the same initials? I know "Anxious Personality Disorder" used to sometimes be used as a substitute term, but still referred to the same disorder.
Lea said:
This tendency to label everything in today's society is getting really stupid. People will soon wonder: "I don't like washing dishes, oh I must be Avpd" and rush to the doctor
Not sure if you're being sarcastic with your opinion that "this tendency to label everything in today's society is getting really stupid", as that's always a bit hard to read in text.

The reason for "labeling" is to identify common symptoms and then formulate some common treatment. It would be really silly for one person to go to a Psychiatrist and rattle off his symptoms, then another person comes in with the same symptoms, then another, then another, and so on without giving it a name for diagnosis and treatment.

Besides, how would people find out info about their condition if it had no name?

And no, of course just because you don't want to wash the dishes, it doesn't mean you have APD. I realize it was only a joke, but it's a joke that is a bit dismissive of the people who really suffer with this problem. If you avoid the dishes, avoid your work, avoid therapy, avoid social situations, and basically avoid absolutely EVERYTHING that causes even the slightest discomfort, then you have APD, or "AvPD". People with real Avoidant Personality Disorder live a truly agonizing life, never accomplishing much because they keep avoiding life in general.

The question often comes up here as to what the difference is between Social Phobia and Avoidant Personality Disorder. I'm only trying to help clarify as there is really only a slight difference between the two in my opinion. The sad thing is, that Avoidance seems to be much harder to treat just because of the Avoidant's tendency to avoid even seeing their therapist or doing their therapeutic exercises.

Lea

Banned
In my opinion, the labels "social phobia" and "avpd" are unnecessary BS. The heavily, really shy people who stay shy no matter what they do and no matter how much they try to "learn", have aspergers or autism related conditions. There are plenty of them on this site although they might deny it or think they don't have it.

Then there are the mildly anxious people who are normal, they only need a bit more exposure, going out and practice and it goes away, then they gain a lot of selfconfidence and think if they can do it, everybody can and who cannot is a coward :).

Or some people might be depressed from some reason, therefore don't feel like doing anything or don't have enough motivation. It's easy to give up things if you feel hopeless. They might try some natural antidepressant, diet etc.

Or, some people are just lazy and need to push themselves more into doing things. Everybody should actually.

Who doesn't like to avoid things unpleasant ? Oh oh I want to avoid watching Big Brother now that means I've got some disorder because eveyone else watches it except me.

Darryl

I guess labels isn't for everyone, though it was extremely important to me, Means to a end.

Wikipedia has a good explaination of Avoidance personality disorder.

I do recommend seeing a pysch to help you with the diagnoses as I believe your searching for an answer.

Get your label to find a solution.

Regards Darryl

HopelessMess

"I don't want to clean the drainpipes, so I must be Avoidant"

"I avoid slamming my hand in car doors because its unpleasant, I must be Avoidant"

Seriously? Sarcasm in an adult discussion on a social phobia support forum? I realize that I am being slightly hypocritical by even pointing it out, but these snarky comments get us nowhere.

If you'll read my first post, I said that someone else had posted a good description of the differences between APD and Social Phobia, so I thought I'd repost it as the question is brought up here on a regular basis. I never said that the two conditions didn't also have a ton of overlapping symptoms. In fact I'm still not sure that Avoidant Personality is not just REALLY extreme social phobia, as it seems that all the symptoms of social phobia are also required for APD(I REFUSE to add your 'v', HA take that ::p:). And of course, the same way that SP and APD symptoms overlap, I'm sure that there are many other conditions with similar/overlapping symptoms.

Maybe I can make my point clearer. If not, then I'll just leave it to you all to find your own definitions and what works for you.

• If you don't want to wash the dishes, that doesn't make you avoidant.

If you avoid washing the dishes to the point that you have nothing left to eat out of, then you might be avoidant.

• If you don't watch "Big Brother" that doesn't make you avoidant.(it means you have good taste :) )

If you don't watch "Big Brother" and you are the Director, then you might be avoidant.

• If you avoid buying groceries because your Social Phobia makes it unpleasant, that doesn't make you avoidant.

If you avoid buying groceries until you have nothing left to eat in the house, then you might be avoidant.

• If you avoid exercise, that doesn't make you avoidant.

If you avoid exercise to the point that your health starts to deteriorate and you avoid places that require a walk to get to, climbing alot of stairs, etc, then you might be avoidant.

• If your richest relative invites you over to his new home to help him remove the wheels... You might be a redneck. (Oops wrong list. That's from my Awful Comedian Disorder(AwCD) discussion ::p:)

I hope some of that makes my point a bit clearer, but if not... oh well. I've found a definition that works for me and judging from many other threads and posts, fits alot of other people with Avoidant Personality Disorder.

We're all searching for an answer. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:

coyote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the biggest criteria for any group of behaviors to be classified as a DISORDER is that they interfere significantly with your ability to function in life.

If the symptoms of AvPD cause serious problems for you - then you may be diagnosed with the disorder.

Otherwise, even if you have all the symptoms, but you get along just fine and happy and don't have any problems - then you won't be diagnosed with anything.

Last edited:

HopelessMess

Thanks Coyote! That pretty much sums up exactly what I was trying to say, but you managed it in 3 sentences, whereas I couldn't accomplish it in a massive post :).

Unfortunately, I tend to get a bit too long-winded and meander around my point. :confused:

I think the "v" is added because APD (from what I've seen anyway) is an abbreviation for Antisocial Personality Disorder. But thanks for sharing this definition- I always thought that my procrastination was a byproduct of depression, but come to think of it, even when I have little or no depression I procrastinate pretty much everything.

Darryl

I guess everyone mean't well but the responds was how the disorder effects them so you didn't get a generic answer but personal feelings.

Yes with out a doubt these personal feeling didn't bring you any closer to a answer which is wrong as we are all looking for answers from people who understand.

I found this amazing after years of "why am I like this" It may or may not help but it has the traits of Avpd (sorry about the V)

Avoidant personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind regards Darryl

HopelessMess

lurknomore said:
I think the "v" is added because APD (from what I've seen anyway) is an abbreviation for Antisocial Personality Disorder. But thanks for sharing this definition- I always thought that my procrastination was a byproduct of depression, but come to think of it, even when I have little or no depression I procrastinate pretty much everything.

Ah, okay. Thanks lurksnomore! For some reason Antisocial Personality Disorder completely slipped my mind. Now the 'v' makes a bit more sense when abbreviating. I'll start using it.

I can identify with what you wrote. I put everything off even when I'm in a good mood. I always have some excuse like "Yeah I'll do that later. I'm tired now."(even though I have no reason to be tired.)
Darryl said:
I found this amazing after years of "why am I like this" It may or may not help but it has the traits of Avpd (sorry about the V)

Avoidant personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Darryl. I've checked out most of the resources on the net for definitions, and I can always just go down the row and its a HUGE yes to every symptom. Actually, on that Wiki page, the only symptom that I don't have is:
"Avoids physical contact because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus".
Other than that, I'm 100%.

The only thing that always confuses me, and seemingly everyone else, is that most of these same symptoms are also used to diagnose Social Phobia. The whole idea of Avoidant Personality Disorder spilling over into other aspects of life was something that I had never heard until recently. That's why I posted the definition. It was another of those symptoms where I read it and went "Wow, I am a REALLY severe procrastinator. I wonder if there IS something to this..."

Out of curiosity, do you find yourself avoiding absolutely anything and everything unpleasant(not just social situations)?

Do you think that you procrastinate MUCH more than the "average" person would?

Darryl

Ah, Out of curiosity, do you find yourself avoiding absolutely anything and everything unpleasant(not just social situations)?

Do you think that you procrastinate MUCH more than the "average" person would?

That's in the Avoidance code of ethics.

Read some of the posts in the Avoidant personality Forum you will more than likely see problems that you are having or have had.

You need to find out how avoidance controls you from this forum, and then with this understanding you can control the avoidance.

Yep not easy, it's all up hill but a small step forward is rewarding.

HopelessMess

Ah, okay so this IS a common symptom for Avoidants. Thanks Darryl. I did read through the forum and found quite alot of these "I even avoid non-social things" kind of posts.

Damn, I wonder why you hardly ever hear that one mentioned. I've read descriptions of AvPD everywhere, and they never seem to include the symptom of procrastinating or avoiding non-social situations.

I think this one is a great line of demarcation between Social Phobia and AvPD, as Social Phobics tend to only avoid social situations. AvPD folks tend to avoid everything that makes them feel uncomfortable.

coyote

Ah, okay so this IS a common symptom for Avoidants. Thanks Darryl. I did read through the forum and found quite alot of these "I even avoid non-social things" kind of posts.

Damn, I wonder why you hardly ever hear that one mentioned. I've read descriptions of AvPD everywhere, and they never seem to include the symptom of procrastinating or avoiding non-social situations.

I think this one is a great line of demarcation between Social Phobia and AvPD, as Social Phobics tend to only avoid social situations. AvPD folks tend to avoid everything that makes them feel uncomfortable.

The worst aspect, I think, is that we also avoid - or at least put off until later (seriously, we'll get around to it, I mean it, it's just that there are so many other more pressing problems, like this whole "last person to post wins" issue) - getting any help with our affliction or trying to change.

Last edited:

HopelessMess

like this whole "last person to post wins" issue
lol coyote! Nah, that's not the avoidance. That's just my OCD plus the fact that if someone replies with something useful, I usually have a question or comment about the post...

And this time it was just because your post was too damn funny not to reply ::p: