Do certain people trigger your SA?

shy_miss_fly

I went to the mall today to buy some clothes for work. I did really well, I went into tons of stores, smiled and said hi to the store workers and even ask them for help finding stuff. Until I went into this one store, one of the workers was really outgoing and in your face sort of person. She was also really pushy and trying to get me to try on pants that I didnt like. :? I all of sudden started feeling really uncomfortable, anxious and really hot. I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Does anyone else have certain people that can tigger their SA or make it worse?

Richey

Yeah! this happens to me with the controlling types of people. Just dont be afraid to put your foot down if it gets too far. But yeah i had the same experiance once where this girl kept bringing me all these clothes to try on and all i wanted to do was try on the black jeans that i liked. I had to eventually tell her to stop in a polite way of course. She was very nice though.

kiwi

Yes I hate outgoing, confident people in any situation. They make me want to curl up into a ball and hide in a corner!

I hate going clothes shopping because of the sales people. They don't have to be pushy or anything, I just hate the way they come up to you straight away and ask if you want any help. I just want to have a look around at my own pace and not feel under any pressure! I always say no, I'm just looking around, and that gets rid of them, but I hate having to do this *every* time I walk into a clothes shop.

black_mamba

Outgoing people in general I'm ok with, they can do all the talking. :wink:

But yeah there is a very specific type of controlling, subtley agressive and loud obnoxious person whom I hate - I have to work with one in my uni group project and hes almost like a gang leader of a bunch of grown men, thats the kinda power her has. :roll:

redlady

The type who no matter what they have done always makes themselves out to be the victim. In my experience these people also tend to be highly emotional and give great sob story performances. My sister is just this type and she has raised my anxiety levels like noone else.

magda74

Well, snotty store clerks really get me nervous.

Anyone super loud, who brings alot of attention on themselves as well, just because they rarely get embarassed and so of course have no idea what it feels like. They're usually the ones who will center you out in a crowd and unwittingly make you want to crawl in a hole.

shy_miss_fly

magda74 said:
Well, snotty store clerks really get me nervous.

Anyone super loud, who brings alot of attention on themselves as well, just because they rarely get embarassed and so of course have no idea what it feels like. They're usually the ones who will center you out in a crowd and unwittingly make you want to crawl in a hole.

Yes!! Those type of people make me nervous also. They are really unpredicable and will come out and say anything, no matter how much it will embarrass you.

scatmantom

With me its not a certain type of people...its people from a certain place. My old friends from London make me very anxious. Since moving away from london and startin a new life ive done really well in terms of my anxiety. But when i go back to my home town its like i go back to square 1. The people, the place, the general thought of going back all spell bad things for me :(

Lightcloud

I definitely feel like that scat too - there are certain people in my life who have witnessed my anxiety, and it seems however well I'm doing, whenever I see them again, I act the same way and symptoms of my anxiety shine through.

I would say people in authority or "tough", macho people trigger my anxiety because I feel insecure around them. And of course, the overly obnoxious and pushy sales clerks just irk me to no end lol.

young

I used to be more anxious when I was out with my ex. I don't know if it was a "sign" to not be with her or what. But I was always nervouse around her. I guess it was my way of not wanting to be weak in front of her. Or to not make an ass of myself.

renegade

kiwi said:
Yes I hate outgoing, confident people in any situation. They make me want to curl up into a ball and hide in a corner!

I hate going clothes shopping because of the sales people. They don't have to be pushy or anything, I just hate the way they come up to you straight away and ask if you want any help. I just want to have a look around at my own pace and not feel under any pressure! I always say no, I'm just looking around, and that gets rid of them, but I hate having to do this *every* time I walk into a clothes shop.

I am like that too. I avoid shops where the sales people look outgoing and all that package because I think they expect me to be like that too, I know this isn't true but I can't help it.

But generally I'm most anxious around people my own age, and especially in presence of opposite sex :oops: . School coleagues are top rated from this point of view.

So for eg when I want to ask for directions to get somewhere or go shopping I choose the stores by the sales man there, preferablly old people like my grandma or so cause those are the people I'm somehow comfortable with.

moomin

Yes certain people do. I am quite shy in front of girls and i also feel quite intimidated around rich people and important people - weird eh?

A normal scenario would be me going in to a shop, th eclerk asking me what i want and then i will fo bright red for no reason at all.

It gets annoying sometimes.

maggie

..for me, it's people who seem to notice more my anxiety and weird quirks that go along with it...that make my anxiety worse, like these 2 girls at work..who seem to notice when i'm having a particularily bad day..or bad situation... or whatever...and watch me?....watch for signs of my "uncomfortableness"...and then it just gets worse :evil:

Angie_05

Lightcloud said:
I definitely feel like that scat too - there are certain people in my life who have witnessed my anxiety, and it seems however well I'm doing, whenever I see them again, I act the same way and symptoms of my anxiety shine through.

I would say people in authority or "tough", macho people trigger my anxiety because I feel insecure around them. And of course, the overly obnoxious and pushy sales clerks just irk me to no end lol.

Me too exactly. I feel so confident until I see someone from my past that knew me when I was shy. It's like I feel like i'm back in that situation again and no matter what, I can't come back to the present.

4myself

Oh dear, did you talk to them about it?. Maybe they didn't mean to freak you out, in fact knowing most people here it is pretty safe to say that we wouldn't do it on purpose.

As for the question, wealthy, trendy people freak me out, you know the ones who think they are soooooo great. Actually Im not sure if they so much freak me out or make me mad, its probably a bit of both.