Do not feed the troll

Caption: Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.
Source: http://flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/troller.htm

Riiya said:
On a forum for people with social phobia, too. :roll:

Trolls presumably have serious self-esteem problems, so in a sense they fit right in with most here, though their coping methods are different.

Riiya said:
Okay, I'll go back into hiding now.

Hope you're not letting a troll send you into hiding. Just pity them.

Helyna

Riiya said:
And just to be clear, it goes by the name of RanjinSingh. It's probably using other alter egos (I wouldn't be surprised if it sometimes talks to itself), but this is the most active one as far as I can tell.
I'm glad someone's paying attention to that... he is getting on my nerves. (Is it impossible to write one post that is positive?) I've only seen one of him, though.

Okay. I've been wondering about this for ages. WHO ARE OUR MODERATORS? Kinetik named three, but since Remus isn't one any more, who's left? Do we really only have three, now two?

Helyna

Do not feed the troll. Don't speak to the troll. Don't do anything. Don't respond to argue, defend yourself, defend someone else, or even counter the troll's most ridiculous words with logic. I think it was even too much for Riiya and I to name the last troll. Trolls want recognition. They want anger. Do not give them either.

Pookah

I would feed this troll.

___nuts__by_konpeito_ko.jpg

Do not feed the troll. Don't speak to the troll. Don't do anything. Don't respond to argue, defend yourself, defend someone else, or even counter the troll's most ridiculous words with logic. I think it was even too much for Riiya and I to name the last troll. Trolls want recognition. They want anger. Do not give them either.

Bumping this as I found some curious links while pondering the 'we were critised' thread. These give very good insight into why people troll - basically they are immature bullys - and why its important not to respond.

Just a warning that you may find the idea of people ganging up to troll other forums disturbing - I did

If we were to troll another site as a group...
List Of Potential New Trolling Targets

Bumping this as I found some curious links while pondering the 'we were critised' thread. These give very good insight into why people troll - basically they are immature bullys - and why its important not to respond.

Just a warning that you may find the idea of people ganging up to troll other forums disturbing - I did

..I'm not one to use foul language easilly, but what the in the holy ****!?

''We could probably convince half the site to commit suicide.''

That kind of talk just makes me want to kick their asses. And not in a soft manor either.
Wait, isn't that thread dated around the time when the reputation points got removed entirely?

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member

Wow. They even posted pics of at least one person who posts here, along with quoting various things we've said.

A good reminder of 2 things: don't feed the trolls, and be very careful of the information you reveal on the internet.

I also find it somewhat disturbing they thought I might be one of them because of my 'sharp objects' thread. o_O

Wow. They even posted pics of at least one person who posts here, along with quoting various things we've said.

A good reminder of 2 things: don't feed the trolls, and be very careful of the information you reveal on the internet.

I also find it somewhat disturbing they thought I might be one of them because of my 'sharp objects' thread. o_O

Yeah, they thought EasySkaning was one of them too. Seriously, what possess people to organize these pointless jab-the-easy-target campaigns. I mean, the amount of dedication involved was just deeply saddening. I think they're nothing but cowards.

MrJones

Yeah, they thought EasySkaning was one of them too. Seriously, what possess people to organize these pointless jab-the-easy-target campaigns. I mean, the amount of dedication involved was just deeply saddening. I think they're nothing but cowards.
I think you're right. Their lives must be so empty...

planemo

U

userremoved

Wow. I think I need to back track and purge any personal info i have on here

Mickery

They're not cowards or brave, they're just sociopaths. Like a child who wanders into a lion's den, they do it because they are improperly aware of themselves or others.

If you want to take comfort in their suffering, bear in mind that you are better off than them in almost every way. Social anxiety disorder is a non-permanent state, well understood and with effective, comparatively quick treatment once you reach the stage at which you're ready. An ironically useful bonus is how self-aware victims are, giving them a splendid platform from which to address their behaviour.

Sociopaths, however, have little to offer themselves. They have a childhood with a badly lapsed area of neglect, fail to learn behavioural nuances and become essentially stuck in a pre-adult emotional state, which is why often they seem childish to others. Because this malformation is a part of juvenile education, there is so far no way to address it later in life.

Thus, within a year or two you are statistically likely to have moved on to a relatively normal and successful life, while they are perpetually doomed to interact, on some level, as children do, and with the inevitable consequences that come with the inability to advance to a fully adult state.

Last edited:

doubleM

They're not cowards or brave, they're just sociopaths.

i agree. sociopath is the word that immediately came to mind when i read that whole thing. that place is a sharkpool. but they are cowards IMO. anybody who talks smack at someone else for anything on the internet is a coward. ive seen people say some really dark things online...but thats the thing with the internet, you can say anything you want without the fear of consequences. it makes me want to tear somebodys head off, but online the truly best thing to do is ignore them.

this may sound a bit cynical, but i think the majority of people in this world are sociopaths. they have no remorse, no heart, no care for anyone but themselves. if they think they can say something to get a rise out of you they will do it. ive had to work with so many people like that, and i cant stand them anymore. theyre nothing but animals.

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
They're not cowards or brave, they're just sociopaths. Like a child who wanders into a lion's den, they do it because they are improperly aware of themselves or others.

If you want to take comfort in their suffering, bear in mind that you are better off than them in almost every way. Social anxiety disorder is a non-permanent state, well understood and with effective, comparatively quick treatment once you reach the stage at which you're ready. An ironically useful bonus is how self-aware victims are, giving them a splendid platform from which to address their behaviour.

Sociopaths, however, have little to offer themselves. They have a childhood with a badly lapsed area of neglect, fail to learn behavioural nuances and become essentially stuck in a pre-adult emotional state, which is why often they seem childish to others. Because this malformation is a part of juvenile education, there is so far no way to address it later in life.

Thus, within a year or two you are statistically likely to have moved on to a relatively normal and successful life, while they are perpetually doomed to interact, on some level, as children do, and with the inevitable consequences that come with the inability to advance to a fully adult state.
I disagree.

This is a basic lack of maturity + giving in to the universal human weakness of looking down on others to feel good about yourself + the fact that it's easy not to think of people on the internet as 'real', especially if you don't want to.

Most people in the world are most certainly not sociopaths, even though we all have a built-in capacity for cruelty under certain circumstances.

This is just part of human nature. Something to be aware of and watch out for.