Do u ever get p*ssed off that youve wasted your life?

I have times when i just get annoyed with myself that ive wasted mylife. i used to regret alot when i was younger and although my philosophy of life has matured i still have times when i feel this regret.

Its all down to social anxiety and depression in the vital developmetal periods of my life but this isnt an excuse to the majority of people who cannot relate to this and cant understand why you havent acheived what 'normal' people have.

I have returned to higher education in my late 20's to try and make something of my life but i still find it difficult to let go of regret especially surrounded by teenagers.

Certainly it hits hardest with my love life as i have acheived very little in that department and i seem to be in a situation where i no longer attract the opposite sex. And goin on nightes out and attempting to attract the opposite sex just ends in dissapointment. im getting too old for this.

I now know mistakes and missed opportunities in your youth with stay with you for the rest of your life. So my advise to people in their teens and early twenties is take the oppotunities now and dont procrastinate because its not worth the regret.

taragizta

I was just like this before. So many missed opportunities as much as regrets. So I said to myself "**** it!" and that's how I started making changes to my lifestyle. Let's just say I'm proud of myself of how much I've accomplished so far.

There is NEVER a time where we're "TOO OLD" for anything. Still got a long life ahead of you. If you truly believe what you're advising us then shouldn't you implement it to yourself too? Not saying you've stopped trying but it's never "TOO LATE".

Best of luck bro. I know everyone got it in them including you.

taragizta

Maybe I was just getting too full of myself and just seeing it through the eyes of people my age but that is not the case. How tougher it is and how things are going for someone older I will never know.

But as I've said before, it's never too late to try and accomplish something. The only time "too late" applies is when we stop trying.

Insanewoman389

I have times when i just get annoyed with myself that ive wasted mylife. i used to regret alot when i was younger and although my philosophy of life has matured i still have times when i feel this regret.

Its all down to social anxiety and depression in the vital developmetal periods of my life but this isnt an excuse to the majority of people who cannot relate to this and cant understand why you havent acheived what 'normal' people have.

I have returned to higher education in my late 20's to try and make something of my life but i still find it difficult to let go of regret especially surrounded by teenagers.

Certainly it hits hardest with my love life as i have acheived very little in that department and i seem to be in a situation where i no longer attract the opposite sex. And goin on nightes out and attempting to attract the opposite sex just ends in dissapointment. im getting too old for this.

I now know mistakes and missed opportunities in your youth with stay with you for the rest of your life. So my advise to people in their teens and early twenties is take the oppotunities now and dont procrastinate because its not worth the regret.

I have a lot of regret about not toughing it out and continuing to go to regular highschool and missing out on all the cool stuff that went along with it. I also regret not getting my GED or my learners permit drivers license both of which I still haven't gotten yet. It makes me really depressed to look at all the stuff I've missed out on and haven't done that I should have, it makes me feel pathetic knowing I've accomplished nothing :/

Its good advice and I've tried to take the opportunities but my depression and anxiety is so bad I need help before I can even think about trying again to accomplish anything :/

yeah i agree insanewoman389. i was the same i regret not doin things but if i was in the situation again i would still have just sat in my room all day because i had depression and anxiety to deal with. my main regret now is i didnt start medicating earlier becos i would have acheived alot more by now.
Also, i didnt pass my driving test till 23 and failed a few times but thats definately something you have to chuck yourself in the deep end to acheive, like most things i supose which is not good for people like us lol

this_portrait

I find myself getting pissed that I've wasted much of my social life away because of SA. I think things like, "If only I didn't have this problem, I would've made lasting friends by now and I wouldn't be sitting around with no one to go out with or call." I feel like I've wasted most of my college years being alone.

Then I'll get mad at myself for not pursuing other creative outlets more. I'll find myself thinking, "If only I wasn't so concerned with socializing, I could be creating awesome works of art in all this spare time I have."

Basically, I feel I've wasted time when I could've been getting to know people, and then I feel like I've wasted time harping on not knowing how to "put myself out there" when I could've been using my time in a more creative way. If any of that makes sense.

spaceboy135

if you don't heal this shame it has the potential to control the rest of your life....learn to forgive yourself and let go "the past is the past" and you are in control of your own future now...when we grow up we are not directly in control of our own lives because of parents etc and we "misperceived" reality by thinking we were defective so therefore did not stand up for ourselves in the past...you DO have the choice to do so now ... other kids who had the opportunity to grow up untraumitized were lucky because they probably had the correct parenting and were lucky enough not to get bullied in high school so therefor did not come to the conclusion that they were defective... just think you are going back to school KNOWING that you went through alot in the past now that takes some courage so cut yourself some slack :p

Yes. I am 21 years old, never had a job, still have my G1 license, doing lousy in college for software development because of my laziness, and never had a girlfriend. Not to mention I am scared to talk to people because of my stutter.

WeirdyMcGee

nope. not ****** off - it's my fault for where I am now.
Frustrated at myself/hate myself, yeah-- but not really angry.

OceanMist

I don't think there is anything to "waste" as I see it. I don't even look at life as a gift. Most of my life has been uneventful, so to speak. I don't feel much except for depression, boredom, anxiety, disappointment and loneliness with the occasional fun time or happy time.

I don't feel I'm wasting something that lacks so much importance. My life is something that wasn't asked for by me, it was something that was given to me. Therefore, I don't believe I owe anybody too much. I don't want to cause pain to others, but besides that, I don't see how I matter. I'm just another body in a world with too many bodies.

One day I'll be dead, and the word, wasting, won't matter. No words will matter anymore. Whether we live an "achieved" life or successful life doesn't matter that much, imo. When I'm dead, how much I achieved on earth won't mean anything, and all the work I did trying not to waste will be meaningless.

I think Arthur Balfour said it best: Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all.

MikeyC

Frustrated at myself/hate myself, yeah-- but not really angry.
This basically descibes me. I don't particularly get angry at myself but it's more of a disappointment. Although I haven't really wasted it, there's more I could've done.

stevelee24

i dont get pissed off i think i just get more desperate that times passing by and im still not moving forward

IcedEarth25

I do get angry and frustrated from time to time that things that have happened before in my life didn't go the way I wanted them to. I envy alot of people i know who have have had a much better out going and social life that I have had. Like when i was a kid i was hardly invited to any parties at all whereas most of the people i know where going pretty much every week to one so that's when the left out senario began to arise.
So Yea i reckon i have wasted many good moments in my life but i guess the way to go is forward unless they started selling time machines.....

I don't think there is anything to "waste" as I see it. I don't even look at life as a gift. Most of my life has been uneventful, so to speak. I don't feel much except for depression, boredom, anxiety, disappointment and loneliness with the occasional fun time or happy time.

I don't feel I'm wasting something that lacks so much importance. My life is something that wasn't asked for by me, it was something that was given to me. Therefore, I don't believe I owe anybody too much. I don't want to cause pain to others, but besides that, I don't see how I matter. I'm just another body in a world with too many bodies.

One day I'll be dead, and the word, wasting, won't matter. No words will matter anymore. Whether we live an "achieved" life or successful life doesn't matter that much, imo. When I'm dead, how much I achieved on earth won't mean anything, and all the work I did trying not to waste will be meaningless.

I think Arthur Balfour said it best: Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all.

Brilliant post. sweet nihilism eases the pain :):):)

if you don't heal this shame it has the potential to control the rest of your life....learn to forgive yourself and let go "the past is the past" and you are in control of your own future now...when we grow up we are not directly in control of our own lives because of parents etc and we "misperceived" reality by thinking we were defective so therefore did not stand up for ourselves in the past...you DO have the choice to do so now ... other kids who had the opportunity to grow up untraumitized were lucky because they probably had the correct parenting and were lucky enough not to get bullied in high school so therefor did not come to the conclusion that they were defective... just think you are going back to school KNOWING that you went through alot in the past now that takes some courage so cut yourself some slack :p

Cheers mate appreciate the words.

RIP GARY SPEED ::(:::(:

Etbow23

I'm still young so I suppose I can't really relate to this. Sometimes I feel like I waste a lot of my time, though. Or that I don't accomplish as much as some of my peers.

Guy Foxe

[QOUTE]I have returned to higher education in my late 20's to try and make something of my life but i still find it difficult to let go of regret especially surrounded by teenagers.

I now know mistakes and missed opportunities in your youth with stay with you for the rest of your life. So my advise to people in their teens and early twenties is take the oppotunities now and dont procrastinate because its not worth the regret.[/QUOTE]

Late 20's isn't that old. I've met plenty of people in college in their 40's and even 50's just trying to get things started (or restarted). I think the key is not to live in the past but think about the present in the future. We can only change how we think about the past. But we can change ourselves in the present.

I think you should try to switch to a future oriented perspective and try not to dwell on the past. Negative emotions like tend to take up our positive energy. (Here's a cool article about the relationship of triggers to emotions that helped me to "rewire" my thinking. It might be useful to you: therapists depression San Rafael, Anxiety treatment Mill Valley DR. STEVE ORMA - Individual & Group Therapy)

Anyway, I think if you can stop thinking about hte past you'll develop a more positive attitude.

As to your love life, I think the best way to meet people is to find situations that are not high pressure (no bars, for example) and try to meet people through those situations. You're in college, so join a club that really interests you, or get involved in intermural sports, or even volunteer. That way you can meet people who have the same interests more naturally, rather than trying to go up to someone in a bar and start up a conversation.

Good luck.:)

K3ith

I get these feelings all the time. I have a TON Of interests and goals in life, but my social phobia has kept me from doing most of them to the level I want to achieve. A lot of things I want to do I should have been doing for years already too.

The best advice I can give is to not worry about the past. Think about what you can do from now on, because you won't get to relive those years you "wasted". Imagine how you'd feel if you "wasted" another 10 years and you're looking back having the same thoughts. You'll feel even worse and have even less time to make the most of it.

Start working today, take small steps and build up to what you want to do.