do you believe in God and why/why not?

Bronson99

No, because we are nothing more than elaborate apes with brains just big enough to imagine and believe nonsense. We are nothing special, there are no mysteries

IMHO that is incorrect. There's a lot more going on than we can see. For real, yo

I've had some negative experiences with religion, so I might be a bit biased against it. I have various family members who are VERY religious. I remember my dad forcing my sister and I to attend church and made us watch that HORRIBLE movie Left Behind starring Kirk Cameron (you know, the homophobe from Growing Pains that says bananas are the perfect food and fit into your mouth perfectly...lol). He actually told me (when I said I didn't follow a religion) that I better hurry up and pick one before judgement day.....yeah.... My Mom made us go to church too, but let us choose what we wanted to believe in. I had to live with my grandparents temporarily and was required to attend church with them as a stipulation of living there. So, religion has been sort of forced down my throat. I'm at a point in my life where I am questioning everything (why am I here, is this real, is everything I ever thought about life a lie etc). I wouldn't mind learning more about Buddhism, though. It seems pretty interesting.
Do I believe in God, though? I really don't know.

Last edited:

theoutsider

Yes, because I've seen things happen as proof that have convinced me. If you know how to listen, He still speaks to people. Just don't expect it to be in a booming voice from a mountaintop as depicted in the movies.

hidwell

I've had some negative experiences with religion, so I might be a bit biased against it. I have various family members who are VERY religious. I remember my dad forcing my sister and I to attend church and made us watch that HORRIBLE movie Left Behind starring Kirk Cameron (you know, the homophobe from Growing Pains that says bananas are the perfect food and fit into your mouth perfectly...lol). He actually told me (when I said I didn't follow a religion) that I better hurry up and pick one before judgement day.....yeah.... My Mom made us go to church too, but let us choose what we wanted to believe in. I had to live with my grandparents temporarily and was required to attend church with them as a stipulation of living there. So, religion has been sort of forced down my throat. I'm at a point in my life where I am questioning everything (why am I here, is this real, is everything I ever thought about life a lie etc). I wouldn't mind learning more about Buddhism, though. It seems pretty interesting.
Do I believe in God, though? I really don't know.

I have had the complete opposite experience to you both my parents are atheists and I was raised to think for myself and have come to the conclusion that Science has the answers and not some rewritten book of stories.

Kiwong

Pizzanity sounds hella dope...like, who would not want to be associated with that? :perfect:

:thinking:

Well, pizza is divine...

I'd be associated with it if it meant consuming regular deep pan pizzas.

AtTheGates

Banned
I don't think "science has the answers" when it comes to how people should treat each other...according to darwinism we should all be beating each other down in a big game of king of the hill, so to speak...There are certain morals/values that don't need to be explained with science..some things that defy nature can't be readily explained ..and maybe they don't NEED to be....maybe SOME things are better that way...Sometimes the truth is too ugly so people would rather believe in fanciful stories to give them hope.

but that doesn't apply to everything. some aspects of life NEED science (like the medical field) but in general I think a combination of science and religion could be beneficial to people's lives if balanced in the right way...

I don't think "science has the answers" when it comes to how people should treat each other...according to darwinism we should all be beating each other down in a big game of king of the hill, so to speak...

Now that just isn't true at all. First, the theory of evolution has advanced a lot since Darwin was around, and we have a much better understanding of which traits would be selected for and why, but even Darwin understood that evolution is not a giant free-for-all. Populations evolve, not individuals. For many reasons, it is beneficial to the survival of a population of organisms for them to cooperate and get along, not beat each other down.

Second, nobody who calls it "Darwinism" is an unbiased source, and with very few exceptions, anybody who calls it that is about to say something demonstrably false.

AtTheGates

Banned
Now that just isn't true at all. First, the theory of evolution has advanced a lot since Darwin was around, and we have a much better understanding of which traits would be selected for and why, but even Darwin understood that evolution is not a giant free-for-all. Populations evolve, not individuals. For many reasons, it is beneficial to the survival of a population of organisms for them to cooperate and get along, not beat each other down.

Second, nobody who calls it "Darwinism" is an unbiased source, and with very few exceptions, anybody who calls it that is about to say something demonstrably false.

well now that we're splitting hairs, I was referring more to social darwinism...

well now that we're splitting hairs, I was referring more to social darwinism...

That isn't splitting hairs. Social Darwinism is in no way related to the theory of evolution, or to anything that could be called science. It's essentially a marketing name, and it's based on the same misconceptions about evolution that I just posted about.

Megaten

I don't think "science has the answers" when it comes to how people should treat each other...according to darwinism we should all be beating each other down in a big game of king of the hill, so to speak...There are certain morals/values that don't need to be explained with science..some things that defy nature can't be readily explained ..and maybe they don't NEED to be....maybe SOME things are better that way...Sometimes the truth is too ugly so people would rather believe in fanciful stories to give them hope.

but that doesn't apply to everything. some aspects of life NEED science (like the medical field) but in general I think a combination of science and religion could be beneficial to people's lives if balanced in the right way...

When it comes to certain things like maybe some resources or competing for mates yeah, but we also tend to work together to survive. We're a social animal, which is why we build cities and make laws to keep people in check. We dont always get along but if you watch the news and see someone trapped under a wrecked car, you'll see complete strangers ban together to lift the car off of that person. Its how we've outcompeted every other sharp clawed animal alive. So its not all about every man for himself when it comes to our species. In my personal opinion I think we've transformed our instinct for community into what we now have as morality.

Last edited:

AtTheGates

Banned
That isn't splitting hairs. Social Darwinism is in no way related to the theory of evolution, or to anything that could be called science. It's essentially a marketing name, and it's based on the same misconceptions about evolution that I just posted about.

evolution, survival of the fittest, natural selection, darwinism, social darwinism, whatever specific term you want to use..its all in the same boat..social darwinism is derived from the (scientific) theory of evolution...but anyway, I think my point was pretty clear based on the context of what I said...even if the EXACT term I used wasnt perfect.

Last edited:

Megaten

Oops, just realized I just repeated what someone else said lol. But yeah what Pyro said. I see what you're trying to say but its a big misconception is all. Its like that phrase people always use "nice guys finish last". It was originally referring to baseball but somehow got turned into a mantra about the Friendzone. Taken way out of context and now its pretty much solidified in peoples heads.

takeheart

I don't know if there is a God, but then thinking about some things it doesn't make sense that there is actually a God somewhere. I don't know its like who knows.

Bronson99

for example?

Well if you won't accept historical examples of religiosity and miraculous happenings (apart from the obvious ones, I recommend reading up on the "Flying Friar".. the accounts are actually written in a literal way).. what about things in the here and now?

Ghosts, near-death experiences, UFOs... all things unexplained by modern science. I acknowledge that most of the records of these things are anecdotal, but that doesn't mean there's no truth in it.

warcraft

Of course there is a god, we better find out who he is and what he wants.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know there is a God.

Look at the world religions....they come from nations. Hinduism comes from India, Shintoism comes from Japan, Buddhism comes from Nepal, catholicism comes from Rome, mormonism comes from utah.

You wouldn't say a hindu comes from Africa would you?

But where does christianity come from? Nowhere. It was there since Adam.

You cannot say Christianity comes from a nation...because there is no nation. Christianity simply means that you believe on Jesus Christ, you count on his righteousness rather than your own righteousness.

King James Bible 4:26:
And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

Last edited:

warcraft

evolution, survival of the fittest, natural selection, darwinism, social darwinism, whatever specific term you want to use..its all in the same boat..social darwinism is derived from the (scientific) theory of evolution...but anyway, I think my point was pretty clear based on the context of what I said...even if the EXACT term I used wasnt perfect.

Natural selection selects. It doesn't create. You get the same kind of product, different varieties.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I can't believe there is a god that would ALLOW an innocent child to be abducted by pedophiles, abused raped and murdered and that child's last moments were only 'why are these people doing this? Where is my mum and dad? why don't they stop this happening..'

Why would a god allow this? If he/she CAN'T stop it, then I don't consider them a god.
If he/she ALLOWS it as part of their 'master plan'.. then that being is an incredibly cruel and terrible thing.

The other thing about this is why would a god allow the parent's to experience the loss of their child in this manner?

I repeat, if the god cannot change this, he/she is not a god.
If he/she can but won't change it..

This is one of the many reason I cannot believe in a god.