Do you consider people you speak to online as being friends?

words on a screen. I don't like to fall into traps. It would be the own person's fault for believing whole heartedly in what is what. I could try and feel empathetic or even sympathetic but I would never truly now how the other person is feeling or what kind of life they are living. Its frustrating, really, but there are no real rules on how one should act online, nor should one truly criticize (unless questionable) the character. Internet is just a playing field, I could say someone and they to me that they are a friend but i am never 100% behind it.

Although it is not to say that I would abandon them. I am not capable of doing that

Last edited:
Well considering i met my husband online yes i would say i think people i speak to online are friends that i have REAL feelings for them.
I knew i loved my husband before i met him and he told me the same, those were real feelings as 7 years on we are still together.
People always say to be careful on the internet because people can lie, tell you what you want to hear and pretend to be something they are not, but so can the bloke you meet down the pub, in fact it could well be the same bloke.
Everyone on here is REAL the same as people you walk past in the street, the same as people you talk to in a club so why shouldn't you see them as friends?
I think sometimes you can actually become closer to someone online and be more honest and open with them than you are with someone you are talking to face to face as its easier.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
That person sounds like she doesn't care too much about anyone despite being online or RL. You did well at blocking her, she's not worth your time.

Yes, you can make friends online. You are talking with other human beings who exist, think, feel and breath, not just computer text. I met my close friends online and I consider them more than just friends, they're like family.

Uber Schnitzel

Well considering i met my husband online yes i would say i think people i speak to online are friends that i have REAL feelings for them.
I knew i loved my husband before i met him and he told me the same, those were real feelings as 7 years on we are still together.
People always say to be careful on the internet because people can lie, tell you what you want to hear and pretend to be something they are not, but so can the bloke you meet down the pub, in fact it could well be the same bloke.
Everyone on here is REAL the same as people you walk past in the street, the same as people you talk to in a club so why shouldn't you see them as friends?
I think sometimes you can actually become closer to someone online and be more honest and open with them than you are with someone you are talking to face to face as its easier.

Awww that's sweet. It's good to hear a story around here with a happy ending for a change

I think of them as friends, though a limited friendship. We can talk all we want, but we never can go out and do something, or even "just hang", which limits the depth of the friendship.