Do you ever suddenly just snap?

Havocan

Well, not to harass your family, but your brother and cousin are the social retards in this setting. By excessively humiliating you in that very embarrassing way in front of your relatives they clearly show they have no clue about what "striking a nerve" means. Your reaction was only human, you just needed to let everyone know this wasn't acceptable. Personally I'd not snap like that all of a sudden {because I am very calm} but rather later tell the two how rude they acted^^.

ErinReives

I snap when people turn on me, I guess kinda like you. When I try to correct people (when I have the courage to) and they start yelling at me that I'm all wrong and I don't know what I'm talking about, and people yelling at me that I should be better and do more things with my life...although I can't...literally can't. Then there are times when I snap when my parents scream at me for no good reason. I guess that would be called defending myself... I dunno if this even made much sense or not.

SickJoke

So then I snapped, and run out of the house crying and swearing at my brother in front of EVERYONE. I still can't even think about it properly I'm so mortified. When they asked me about it afterwards I just said I'd had too much to drink. It was so out of character for me, I usually just sit there taking insults like a doormat. Vent over!

That's pretty bad ass :cool:

Maybe later in life you'll look back on that day and say, "That was the moment when I decided that, from now on, I'm not takin anyone's shit!"

So I say congrats for standing up for yourself, this might lead to big changes in your life.

TheNewZero

My family feels the need to criticize my social life too. It's one of my mom's favorite topics. Her and my aunt (her sister) were really into the whole college life thing- joining sororities and partying it up at the dorms until they graduated. Every time my aunt comes over she always tries to talk to me about moving into dorms and having a boyfriend. It's horrible and I never know what to say. I feel like I'm going to snap too. Although it hasn't happened yet I know it will eventually. In your defense it sounds like you take a lot of crap from your family, and most people in your position would have said sometime a long time ago. Maybe that's a negative thing, I don't know I'm the same way and I see it as kind of positive. It takes a lot of self-control to do that. Your cousin and brother should be the ones embarrassed. Your cousin sounds like a real jerk, I hope she felt really bad seeing you get so upset about that. Maybe that was something they needed to see, and maybe they'll realize that what they say has a big affect on you.

NormanBates

Um, I just skipped a family function this weekend.

I knew the same thing would happen to me so I felt good about leaving everyone hanging.

As far as having snapped, yes I have snapped after the first time I had to give a speech in front of class.

In class I don't think I stood out in any particular way. I don't think anyone really noticed me. But I still saw people's harmless expressions as I spoke.

On my way home from school while walking, I just yelled. And yelled. And yelled. I yelled as if oil had been tapped inside me and was gushing out in scream form.

I was in the middle of a neighborhood where everybody was either at work, or hiding behind their blinds. So there was no harm done.

Nack

Banned
I can understand how you feel. I've been in a similar situation before, it wasn't that long ago i went to a family gathering to plan for a grad party, which i didn't want in the first place. At first it was alright...till i was dragged to the men table and they started asking question and i answered them with a soft voice, one guy made fun of me and they all laughed. That was when i got pissed...It felt like all the anger from my past was about to released, i had this awful grin on my face i was literally trying to hold back...Just wanted to start punching something. But, I held the anger in...Just thinking about it irritates me a bit...

So yea, i understand how you felt...some people are just *******************.