Do you need social validation to feel good about yourself?

Stressball

Would you still be able to feel good about yourself even if most other people thought of you as a worthless loser, or hated you?

How much do you care about the opinions of people that don't like you? How much do they effect you?

Other people's opinions affect me more then I like. I get very depressed when I feel some of my online friends are ignoring/are preoccupied, even if I know logically it probably has nothing to do with me. Then at the times they aren't preoccupied...I don't know how to initiate conversations, it gets to an awkward silence very quickly despite asking questions and doing the usual things you got to do. I get mentally exhausted and try to excuse myself. I've learnt to not let it affect me as much over the years but the feeling you don't quite belong anywhere is always there.

Last edited:

Lilly789

This is a really hard question.

I don't care what people think in the slightest, and I need no validation whatsoever (I really don't feel I do).

But there are reasons for that - I generally believe that most people are just not very intelligent, self deluding or compulsive liars who do things for their own benefit. Therefore, if someone is saying they like me, then they are lying or self deluded, because Im really disgusting and weird.

I don't blame them for it, its part of being human.

If they genuinely did like me (which is impossible), I don't think it would change my internal self perception anyway.

so whether they like me or not is irrelevant, their opinion is irrelevant to the fact.

If I did need social validation, Id be dead by now from all the rejection and internal turmoil it would create.

Not needing social validation is probably a self preservation mechanism.

note: caring / not caring about other peoples opinions, and needing / not social validation = two separate things. I'm not sure why people are interchanging them.

Last edited:

jaim38

Tough question. I think I need social validation from the people who truly matters in my life. If a person who dislikes me rejects me, it's OK, I don't need someone like this in my life. I want to work on building a strong support network that I can rely on in good and bad times.

Whoopdeedoo

The rejection and invalidation will hurt initially and i wil mourn the outcome
Of negative exchanges and suffer ...
but eventually upon reflection i will reason ou the situation
weighing possible causes and desired results of those involved
And in most cases I would conclude that negative behavior toward me was unwarrented
Or harsh
I believe Im a good person
A little loopy yes
But kind
@ times overbearing
But fair

God knows my heart
It weary its scared
But my hearts good
Even if my fellow man
Doesnt always think so