Do you think HH connection to Anxiety etc?

delacratic

Hello,
I'm convinced that my sweating is connected to my anxiety (social/generalised/apd, whatever term..!).
Everything I read about HH says it is not caused by depression or "psychological issues", or the link is unproven, but I'm convinced it is.

I'm aware that I can be apparently calm and be sweating, but it's definately worse when I'm really anxious/stressed. And I think that half the time "calm" is a relative term with me! And I just have a 'gut feeling' - something that says they've grown from the same place inside me...

What does everyone think? Any else feel a connection? Anyone here definately not depressed/social phobic? (Although probably most people develop that once HH sets in...!)

It'd be good to know some opinions!

lolly23

i think its true.in fact any doctors have asked me when i tell them i have hh if i suffer from anxiety and ive always believed there was a link.

Yes I strongly believe anxiety brings on the sweating full force, that's in my experience as well. In fact I get anxious that I might sweat which usually brings it on, it's a cycle.

teandtoast

Pinker said:
Yes I strongly believe anxiety brings on the sweating full force, that's in my experience as well. In fact I get anxious that I might sweat which usually brings it on, it's a cycle.

Im exactly the same dude is awful...i get anxious about situations I have coming up where I might sweat then as gets nearer time sweating gets worse

but yeh overall sweating and anxiety are defo associated ...they go hand in hand :?

bill-uk

Once the sweating starts in awkward conditions, it definitely gets worse due to the stress of the condition.

But for me, thats not the major issue at all. I can be at home putting up some shelves or mowing the lawn or washing the car and the sweat will drip off my face and I in no way anxious and often on my own with no chance of anyone else seeing my condition.

I'm probably a stone and a half over weight these days but as an 18 year old very fit guy, I was just the same back then. I do think lack of fitness and being overweight is a disadvantage, but it doesn't seem to make a great difference to my sweating other than I felt better in myself when I was fitter and smaller !!

sadday

imo, anxiety/social phobia are not the cause of hyperhidrosis. I think someone who has anxiety/social phobia first can develop hh as a seperate condition. It's just that the two kind of blur together. A person can sweat as a result of being anxious/nervous, but this is not hyperhidrosis sweating. However, I do believe hh can cause anxiety/social phobia which then worsens the hh condition leading to the vicious cycle. I think a true hh sufferer if cured from anxiety/social phobia would still sweat. From what I've read anxiety/social phobia can be brought under control with a mind over matter kind of approach with a therapist or medication. HH cannot be controlled by how a person thinks. Therapy won't stop a person from sweating.

Hope that wasn't too confusing, lol. and it was just an opinion not a science.

Yep, if the sweating was caused by anxiety but no underlying medical condition, it'd be referred to as 'secondary hyperhidrosis'.

BEA

The strange thing I've noticed is that when I read this forum my HH really goes into one, I think it's because I get upset.

Also - I impress my friend by actually making my hands sweat. All I have to do is think about the fact that they aren't sweating & they sweat!

The more worked up I get about it - the more it happens (& I dont believe it's just me noticing it more)

coriander1992

worrydoll said:
unnatractive? unfeminine? hell yes. repeat after me

'this is not my fault'.....................

sorry to be OT, but...
don't you just hate it when people (especially males) say that girls don't sweat a lot, or it's not normal for girls to sweat :evil:
what the heck is normal anyway..ignorant tossers :twisted:

I think there's some connection without a doubt. As a child I didn't seem to have SA, but maybe I did, but because of my HH I used to get picked on quite easily.
What I do know is that when I'm feeling some anxiety that I will sweat a lot.
Now of course when I sweat it's no big deal to me, and I don't care who thinks I'm sweating unless there's too much of some visible sign that I'm sweating. So when I sweat I won't become anxious. It's always the other way around.

But I'm still wondering if because I used to sweat 'out of control' as a child and get picked on, could it have caused me to become anxious in public.

BEA Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:22 pm
Also - I impress my friend by actually making my hands sweat. All I have to do is think about the fact that they aren't sweating & they sweat!
Yeah, I used to 'sweat at will' too. But because I was made fun of as a kid it was really hard for me to defend myself. But when I got older I figured the only way to defend myself was using a good sweaty offense. When some one picked on me, I'd grab them and force my hands to sweat excessively and give em a taste of it.
And I was glad I did that because those who got it from me never tried to make fun of my sweating.
There were few people impressed by my will to sweat.