Do you think this is strange??

Dill

I just recently found out that I might have social phobia, ( actually just 2 days ago) and managed to stuble across this great website.
I find it very hard to be myself out in public. I sometimes even can't get myself to leave the house.

But the thing is that whenever I feel scared I ussually take some alcohol and then I can do what ever I want. I sometimes even feel that I am myself when I am drunk. I personaly think that this is very sad and it makes me feel like a real loser.

Even when I have to go on a date. When I'm sober I can even say a word and a hands tremor and I sweat like a pig. But when I have a little alcohol in me, I can basically sweet talk the pants off anyone.

I always ask myself why is this happening to me. I feel that I am not living the life I am supposed to. ( Deep down I think I should have been a very sociable and open person )

I must admit that I know very little about Social Phobia as I only found out that it actually existed quite recently.

My question is though , do you guys think that alcohol is the best way to overcome awful situations in public.

Thanks for your time.

LilMissTragic

I dont believe alcohal is any help in any situation. Now you have been diagnosed with Sp you should recieve the help that you need and hopefully not need alcohal to get by. good luck and welcome to the site :)

-Jp

Dill said:
My question is though , do you guys think that alcohol is the best way to overcome awful situations in public.

No, there a lot of social phobics that also have a alchoholic problem because of this, it's good you found out now, it's nice that you can loosen up with alchohol but i wouldn't use it as a medicine on a regular basis.
now that you found out you have SP you can do something about it.
the best information i have found about SP is one this site if you wanna learn a bit more about it http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org
they also have an audio therapy serie for overcomming SP wich í am currently doing and it is very good.

Dill

Thanks so much guys.
Good to know that there are people who actually care out there.

Johnie

-Jp said:
the best information i have found about SP is one this site if you wanna learn a bit more about it http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org
Interesting looking site Jp.
I am toying with the idea of going thru therapy again, but that audio tapes series looks interesting.

How does it compare with real therapy sessions, considering that with audio tapes there is no feedback from you to the "virtual therapist"?

My own problems do not seem to be "pure" social anxiety and I would like to think that my therapy would be fine tuned to my particular needs, starting from an accurate diagnosis.

Please keep us posted on how you get on with it.

Johnie

LilMissTragic

MrNoMates. I dont go for any help. I once saw a counsellor, A psychiatric nurse and a Psychiatrist but felt they were no help at all. They just went on about my past and I didn't really get anything constructive out of it. I decided I was the only one that was going to ever help me and its started to work out. I'd say I'm not too bad these days, I'm still not great on the chatting front as I run out of things to say very quickly but then i think this isn't only my silence, the person i talk to must be going through the same thing too. I'll never be the partying chatty soclialite but i'm happy with the way things are going so far. Yes I still get those days where i dont want to go out but I force myself. If I dont I'll rot away for sure. I'm still not that great at shopping either, I go to the shops but usually get out asap, its the queing I dont like the most.
What about you, you seeing anyone about your SP?

MRnomates

Not really lilmiss this women comes to see me about chronic fatigue see how i`m doing i talk to her about it. As you say though psychiatrists can't do ought its to be worked out on your own