Doctors prescribing placebo's

ppaul

Went to see a doctor the other day about getting beta blockers cause i have some major exams coming up. They are in the lecture theatre rather than seperate rooms (that freaks me out for some reason) and i panic during exams anyway.

My doctor and psychologist said I could get beta blockers if i really wanted, but were very aprehensive. The doc wanted to speak to the psych first and maybe im being paranoid but i get the feeling my psych would want me to have placebos.

Does anyone know if doctors have the authority to prescribe placebos???
Doesnt sound legal, to give you (and charge you) for something, but really its something else.

I'm in Australia, might be different in other countries.

ppaul

I dont know, Ive never been prescribed anything for SA and would rather avoid medication if i can. (i only want it for exams)

GettingThere

I am almost certain that the law was changed to stop Doctors from prescribing placebos in Australia. I think that somebody may have sued a Doctor over the issue and that was the end of placebo use in Australia.

Fredscars

isnt a placebo a drug that contains no medication, simply to try and get the patient to psychologically get better, because they believe the drug is going to create that effect in their body?

surely then the doctor wouldnt tell the patient they are being pescribed 'false drugs' because it kinda removes the point of them...?
just a querie

zyxockjm

Whether or not you are given placebos, using beta-blockers on tests may not be the smartest thing to do. I've tried them while driving and they really make you clumsy and you don't focus well. If you have a long test, it may not be worth it.

You can buy inderal (propranolol) online if you think you might be given placebos. I bought two different packets from two different sites.