Does any suffer from full body shocks ?

bent_soul

Ok, now imagine being tasered. I have never had this done but when I suffer from a bad anxiety attack, my whole body is flooded with little shocks like someone just hooked me up to a car battery.

I start off with the dizziness and heart pounding, sweats, and I will get what is almost like a nervous tick on the back muscles of my neck, clenched muscles. Everything around me usually slows down and I am moving at the same normal pace, like a hyper state. My sight can go blurry and change from normal to black & white and I usually feel sick. Tunnel vision and claustrophobic

But the body shocks can be to a point where they hurt a lot of the time. It can feel like an out of body experience and am very curious to know if anyone else suffers from this kind of symptom and also if anyone knows what this is known as?

There are days I feel completely fine and normal and I can't wait to go out, but then there are the more than usual days lately where I would rather hide from the world cause if I go out I know what's going to happen.

Remus

Staff member
Here's a good discription of a panic attack:

Panic attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are pretty common as far as I know with people with anxiety problems, best see a GP/shrink though to get a proper diagnosis as none of us are experts

I suffered Panic disorder for many years, exposure therapy worked well for me.

Last edited:

bent_soul

Thanks for that link Remus, very helpful. I had the first attack when I was 11 and anyone I talked to just told me to harden up so I tried that for years, didn't help lol. I spoke to my Doc a month ago and he pretty much just pushed it to the side. He had me on Loxamine for depression which I think made it worse so I threw them out, then he tells me 'yea they aren't really dealing with the problem, they just cover it up' Yet he gave them to me anyway. Funny funny world indeed lol.

LocalHero

@spider04 - just having body shocks is NOT what a panic attack is. There are other and more severe symptoms to a panic attack. I mean no offense, but you should check out Remus' post for the link to wikipedia to learn about what panic attacks are before you post information regarding them.

@bent_soul - I've been recently having body shocks. I believe this link to another wikipedia page should have some answers for you or anyone else who happens to come across this thread.

SSRI discontinuation syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why your doctor would tell you that the drugs he prescribed you "just cover up the problem" is rather odd. I would suggest looking for another one, considering he is just pushing prescriptions on you. The best method, in my opinion, is a combination of the right prescription drugs (for me it has been Lexapro and Alprazolam and they've worked wonders!!) that adhere to your specific problems and, if it is based on depression and/or panic attacks, behaviorial management with a therapist. Most medications for depression and/or panic attacks are hard to continually take at the beginning. It feels like symptoms seem to get worse, more often, and more severely. But, if you ride through the first couple of weeks, you'll feel like a much happier, healthier, and more "normal" you!

Last edited:

Gerdje

I have experienced these body shocks for some time also, in my case it was related by abruptly stopping with anti-depressants, anti-anxiety,.... medications. If you ever stop taking such (terrible) drugs, it has to be tempered down over a longer period, those body shocks are common when people stop cold turkey with such meds.

WeirdyMcGee

I haven't heard of this coming from an anxiety attack but I wouldn't doubt it happens.
Our bodies do crazy things when we're so tense and freaked out.

I do get full body shocks and sleep paralysis whenever I try to sleep, though- just not when I'm having an attack... fortunately, I guess. hah.

Have you asked your doctor or therapist about this symptom and what you can do to try and lessen the intensity or avoid it completely?
There may be medications that you can try.

Silatuyok

Sleep paralysis often feels like being tasered. (Or what I would imagine being tasered feels like.) Does this happen when you are awake and active, or at rest?

SilentBird

I have experienced small electric shocks in my body. It has usually happened in bed before I go to sleep. I have found that after a shock that I am relieved because I then know that I will go to sleep. I don't experience them so much now, it's different. My body sometimes shudders and I gasp.

I used to take Seroquel/Quietiapene at night and it helped me go to sleep but now it just makes me agitated. I take Zoplicone to sleep now.

My body has become very tense over the last few months. My hands also get clenched and it takes a conscious effort to stretch my fingers out. Sometimes I find myself having to take deep breaths.

I think that anxiety has turned onto my body and made me physically stressed. I think that has happened after years of drinking, taking pills and not finding an effective way to deal mith my psychological issues.

I have a peer-support worker who said that stress is a killer. That rings true with me. But I don't know how to deal with stress. I don't know where to find courage.

bent_soul, I hope you find some relief. Most effective for me has been counselling, or some other sympathetic ear, and exercise for short term relief. And yes, sometimes clonazepam, but continued use has been said to be addictive.

I have lost faith in doctors. GPs I have had don't seem to appreciate the complexities of emotional/psychological problems; psychiatrics have usually just tried to pathologicalize and drug me.