Does Anyone Know How To Get Over Shyness?

nb408

Ever since I was a baby I've been shy, whenever someone would try to talk to me I'd just hide behind my mom and let her do the talking. Well I'm 19 years old now and shyness is still a big part of my life. It has prevented me from going to many social events, and helped me savor a lot of frustration. I've always dreamed about being popular and having a care free personality where if you like me cool, and if you don't like me cool, it won't bother me as long as I'm being true to myself. That's a lot harder said then done. Sometimes I just can't help but to be awkward and shy, and it's almost impossible not to beat myself up for it (Not physically but emotionally). Over the years this has made me develop a fear of public speaking when before I loved public speaking and didn't even get why people got scared of it. Lost many friends, and now have a boring life. Hate to say it but it's true. I want to do more for my life and get rid of shyness, I feel like once I do that there is no limit to what I can do in the future because I will love life. If there is anyone who can relate or share there story on how they helped ease down there shyness, please share. Thanks for your read.

jaim38

I used to be able to speak in front of my class in a loud confident voice and not feel too shy about it because no one heckled me during my speeches. But after going through bullying and harassments, I developed social phobia, and extreme shyness became the norm.

I daydream about being popular in my own made-up world. But in the real world, I know I don't want to be popular or the center of attention because real world is much more different.

Srijita52

Hi, I can totally relate to you. I've been painfully shy ever since I was a child too. I'm 19 as well and its still a huge problem for me. But I guess taking baby steps to face your fears can help. I know its hard not to beat ourselves for it, but overcoming shyness takes time and practice. Try setting some goals for yourself and work on one issue at a time (maybe public speaking for example). I hope things get better. And welcome to the forum. :)

mikebird

Banned
nb408

You are doing a lot of magic for me now! I hope there are a Lot of answers to this thread.

I hid behind my mum. She got me out of a birthday party I was too shy to be there. I started wailing. Big family on Mum's side were kind to me but could see my limitations, and now they're all dead

I did OK at school cos we all treated each other the same. I wish they'd told me I was weird.

I sailed through Uni at a social time, and graduation with hopes to be a big successful executive.

It was the most unpleasant of all hard knocks to rediscover my inner shyness, always awkward with anyone, and acted to be who they wanted me to be. Infinitely getting fired at work has landed me in a miserable current situation. I know all the basic or professional, expensive therapy and counselling I've tried will ever help me.

My main defence is actually being assertive and criticising others harshly, as my older brother does to me. It won't dig me out of my own hole - it just digs it deeper :no: :mad: :veryangry:

xDreamseller

I was always like that as a kid. When anyone that wasn't my age would talk to me, I just wouldn't say anything and hide behind my parents and let them deal with it.

I used to be able to handle talking to my peers in school. I would actually offer to do speech's etc. Now though...I dunno, I'm ashamed of my own voice. I hate it, I feel like I sound like such a wimp.

My main defence is actually being assertive and criticising others harshly, as my older brother does to me. It won't dig me out of my own hole - it just digs it deeper :no: :mad: :veryangry:

Funny you say this because I always saw this as my biggest problem (before/besides my body image issues). I could talk with people. I still felt uncomfortable but I forced myself to anyway. But because my biggest fear is rejection, especially in person, I found it EXTREMELY hard to be assertive. I thought if I could just be more assertive my problems would be solved. Maybe I'm wrong. It seems I am always looking for that "one thing" that will make me happy. Maybe it isn't about that. :idontknow:

To answer OP's question:I have been shy ever since I was a child as well. I've found the only real solution to making improvements is forcing yourself to interact with others on a regular basis. It's not a magic solution and it won't work for some people, but that's how I improved my SA.

Last edited:
I used to be able to handle talking to my peers in school. I would actually offer to do speech's etc. Now though...I dunno, I'm ashamed of my own voice. I hate it, I feel like I sound like such a wimp.

I heard your voice dream and I don't think you sound like a wimp, you had a nice, normal young man voice, haha. Nothing wrong with it at all!

Now, MY voice - oh dear.

surewhynot

I heard your voice dream and I don't think you sound like a wimp, you had a nice, normal young man voice, haha. Nothing wrong with it at all!

Now, MY voice - oh dear.

Nothing wrong with your voice either, I like it haha ::p: