Does the feeling of anxiety ever go away?

Shant

I'll try and keep this short since I tend to make threads that are more long and drawn-out. >.>

- I recall earlier in my childhood I was socially inept, but not socially anxious or depressed. More or less, I want to be like this. For a multitude of reasons my social skills aren't the best, but I can deal with that. I don't care if my social skills are a bit lacking, as long as I know how to be polite, so as to keep a job, I'm fine with it. I wish I still had this quirky personality rather than in this "nothingness" I'm at now where I can't even determine if I have a personality anymore.

- Eventually the anxiety and depression came in. I hit a low point where I was so anxious I couldn't tell a cashier what I wanted. I knew socializing frightened me, but not that it was a phobia, disorder, or that I really had any problems. Others who didn't know social phobia simply told me things like "practice makes perfect", more socializing means eventually I'll get over the phobia.

- Over time, here I am now. "Practice makes perfect" = err... not exactly. Half and half. The anxiety hasn't reduced a bit ever since. I have, however, learned how to talk and cope with speaking under the anxiety, but it's just so difficult. I can tell a cashier what I want. As a matter of fact, I am a cashier now (among other responsibilities at my current job). Under the anxiety I've "gotten better", but only when it comes to functioning despite this anxiety wearing at me and tearing me down. I've only gotten better on the outside, but on the inside, it's still the same old same old. Socializing requires painfully intense effort!

1. To hear every word they say,
  2. comprehend all of it,
  3. put it all together into a meaning,
  4. think of what I should say in response,
  5. decide on what to say,
  6. decide on how to say it,
  7. and lastly, say it.
With so much effort, I do well until the last step, then I stumble over my words or something from time to time. I've gotten better at dealing with having to put so much effort into this, but I don't feel like I've necessarily gotten better. It just doesn't feel right, doesn't feel like I've actually made any progress. Still scared. I only know what I should say and even then from time to time, I stumble over my words.

So basically, I "manage" the feeling well, but I'm tired of the feeling. I haven't always been like this and I hate being like this. Lastly, every time I get home from education, my job, the youth group, clubs/groups/organizations, I succeed at doing the bare minimum; making it seem like I'm sociable or without a social phobia. But I get home, and I'm lonely, and realize: No matter what I do, I don't end up actually making any friends. Out of a fear of trusting others, a fear of my friends leaving me. But ultimately, to do anything about that is the last challenge; at the end of the day, I'm so worn out dealing with this anxiety, that I'm too tired to really do anything else. Hardly even homework, leading to procrastination. As for actually making any friends? That means going back out there, and dealing with the anxiety. Again. Then that's it. I don't think I can do it, I'm so deprived of energy to deal with anxiety until several hours of sleep to deal with it again the next day.

Even friends I've had for several years, before social anxiety hit a low point, I'm anxious around now. Is it possible to ever be comfortable around other people? Anti-anxiety medication (Anxiolytics?) also doesn't seem to do anything.

Is this typical for social anxiety?

Last edited:

goldatom

Don't worry. There are 7 billion people in this world. Lots of them have some or the other chronic problem and they function with these problems. We are just one of those. It's nothing big. Just don't worry about anything much. Our problem is worry itself. So why worry :) ?

Shant

Ugh, all I'll ever ask for in life, to make this go away, and it just won't.

I guess it's just asking for too much, huh? Lol. I suppose physically I could have it worse, but at least with any other condition there's more support of others...

So comforting to hear someone similiar to me, even though its not nice that we going through this problem. It doesnt matter if im not a social pot, i just want to think quickly before i speak. Thats the main problem of my problem. I know exactly how you feel, when you going through what you said you went through. I believe SA can be cured, its not a disease, but it really requires you to believe. When you put your heart into something, trust in it and eventually it will get better.

I've had a similiar experience, but not so similiar, i've abaonded my friends for like 3 years, and my social skills went down hill, i didnt even know how to social 1 bit, but then my work colleagues started to try to be friends with me, at first i was really shy but gradually, i became open. It can all come back, and you said you was once social, so if you did it before, that social person is still in you!

You sound like a nice person, and if i knew you i would friend you, i think the idea is to not care what other thinks is what helps cure SA. we care too much about how we being viewed, being too self-concious, when we should relax. Who cares if we mess up, everyone messes up at something. We need to just get over it. It helps when i have that mind set, but i dont always have that mind set.

I thought this link helped me at a situation and i remained calm and collected, you can have a read..

How to Not care what other people think

layeazy

yeah take control mate put in some strategies which will keep the anxiety to a manageable level..