Does Your Anxiety Make You Clumsy?

Ritta

I was wondering if other people have this problem. Whenever I go grocery shopping and the store is very crowded, I tend to get extremely clumsy. I drop things, I bang myself against corners, I even have trouble speaking properly. I swear I sometimes feel like I'm the female version of Kramer ::p:

The worst is when I get to the check out line. Some people have no respect for personal space. They push my stuff, they sometimes even bump into me, so I move faster :mad: This makes me even more anxious and clumsy. I used to pay with cash. Never ever again, because whenever I got change back, I'd always end up dropping all the coins on the floor. From now on I only pay with my credit card.

Walk

Of course it does.

However, I control myself a lot better now and I am able to voice my concerns about things like being bumped.

You get your groceries moved by people who don't even say a word about it? That's pretty rude.... try to laugh it off by telling them a joke about it. Maybe it'll help ease the anger and anxiety caused by it (don't think it's worth it to lose it in a grocery store line over that). Just a thought.

Bama_Heath

I think I'm just clumsy period most of the time, but I agree that when I get anxious I am much more susceptible to banging around into random inanimate objects, knocking things over, sliding/stumbling across the floor, and dropping things. In fact I have bumped into two objects this week alone with enough hard force that it injured me. I am a hazard to myself :)

Luna1740

the other day not once... but twice... I dropped a full roll of toilet paper into the toilet... I'm epicly clumsy

Luke1993

I'm very clumsy I drop lots of things but I'm not sure if it's to do with my SA because I still am when not in social situations

Ritta

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. It is a bit funny I guess. If someone were to follow me around with a camera, I'd probably make everyone laugh their a** off :D

Ignace

Definitely.
I'm basically trying to get out of the store or whatever as quickly as possible without being noticed, embarrassed, or drawing any attention.
It makes me nervous which in turn makes me extremely clumsy.

The other day when I was at the mall, I was in such a rush to leave the store that I took my money and forgot my bags. I've done this SO many times. Then, I quickly took the bags from the cashier and all my stuff fell out =.="

Omg, that's my nightmare ! .. If I would go to the mall.:D

coyote

Add me to the list - the more anxious I am, the clumsier I become....which then, of course, makes me more anxious...etc!!

I am generally somewhat clumsy but my social anxiety probably makes it worse. I know my movements in public are often really awkward. I am bad at handling things and stuff. I have a very pasted aura around people i've realized and don't take the time to make sure I have everything, so i sometimes will leave things around. I've been a little better about it now that i've realized it but its still there to some extent. I'm not really embarrased in public places because i don't really care what random peopel think. My bigger problem is like if i'm working and i have to hold stuff I care more what they think since I know them.

dooby-duck

I'm really clumsy, especially if there are other people about or if I'm being watched. You wouldn't get me in a supermarket though. I start to think people think I'm drunk or something sometimes. I can lose the ability to walk properly without bumping into things, and inanimate objects seem to come to life to get tangled or trip me up.

recluse

God yeah! I am a clumsy fool when i am nervous. I bump into things and people etc.

Once i was coming out of the toilet in a cinema and i hit the side of my head as i was opeing the door! (on the edge of the door) It hurt but the worst thing was thinking people had seen me do it.

petrified eyes

Yes, and the clumsiness causes more anxiety which leads to even more clumsiness. It's a vicious cycle of embarrassment and humiliation.

mrb

i doesnt make me clumsy , i tend more to come out with silly comments , like if im at the supermarket in a big que , ill turn around to the person behind me look in there shopping basket and say oh and point to something in there basket , there 5 pence cheaper down the road , and they taste better as well :) they look at me as if to say really :confused: wow thanks for the information , so i turn around again and think , what did you say that for ... then pretend to play with my phone :rolleyes:

this_portrait

When I get super anxious, I can be a little clumsy. One time, I had to do a critique for one of my art classes, and I was so anxious that when I went to go put up my pictures, I bumped into the table, almost knocked someone's stuff over, and even nearly dropped my own project!