Does your family know about your HH?

Pngwyn

Just curious how many of you share your HH problems with your family? Do they understand/support you or think it's ridiculous?

I shared with my family a couple of years ago, and they don't seem to believe that it's "real". When times are getting hard, I really wish I could talk to them about it, but if I do they think I'm some kind of crazy and just overreacting. Wish I could talk to someone about it.. if you don't share with your family, who do you vent through?

deadwetter

Hi Pengwyn - First I'd like to thank Pacific and arsen for their heartfelt support. Remind me to ask "What is SA?" on the Social Anxiety forum later. Anyway, my big sis knows a bit. She is a nurse and I'm closest to her in my family. Before she knew her reaction when seeing my HH was like others......you know....what the hell is wrong with you? How long have you been a freak? ....stuff like that. My parents are a dead end and not capable of participating in any conversation that involves me having a serious problem. I don't have many friends to open up to so my HH is mainly kept to myself. Dealing with HH and insensitve people who don't understand it can be extremely frustrating and tends to get me angry. So in summary, I guess HH is my closest friend (and relative) and the only one that knows the "real" me. Wow that's depressing. At least HH will never leave us :)

Solo Dolo

Hi Pengwyn - First I'd like to thank Pacific and arsen for their heartfelt support. Remind me to ask "What is SA?" on the Social Anxiety forum later. Anyway, my big sis knows a bit. She is a nurse and I'm closest to her in my family. Before she knew her reaction when seeing my HH was like others......you know....what the hell is wrong with you? How long have you been a freak? ....stuff like that. My parents are a dead end and not capable of participating in any conversation that involves me having a serious problem. I don't have many friends to open up to so my HH is mainly kept to myself. Dealing with HH and insensitve people who don't understand it can be extremely frustrating and tends to get me angry. So in summary, I guess HH is my closest friend (and relative) and the only one that knows the "real" me. Wow that's depressing. At least HH will never leave us :)

lol at your first couple sentences. cheers to that.

on a real note, my mother has knows and has been the biggest outside support for me. she understands and really wishes she could help me. my sister also knows and knows its a problem for me but i feel that she fails to see the severity of the true impact it has on my life.

Hello all,

My whole family knows I have HH. I have quite a few family members who also suffer from this awful affliction.

I have made 2 documentaries on this also, you can see them on my forum.

I think the more open you are with this, the better people, family and friends will understand and help you out more.

take care and hope to hear from you guys soon.

Anne

Very Sweaty Betty

Sweaty Betty Facebook