dread holidays??

maggie

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!! But I'm still trying to think of reason can't go to my Mom's for Easter supper. :x Does anyone else dread holidays, birthdays, bridal showers, weddings, whatever. I have this sinking feeling weeks before such events, cause have to get together with family, others, and never want to attend. Even Christmas scares me, all the shopping, get togethers, I would skip over these things if I could! 8O

Scottish_Player

People in my familay have come to accept that i dont go to familay occasions,even at christmas i spend it on my own,so no one says anything about it.

What i do like though is that i still get all the party invites for weddings and birthdays even although i have never been to any of them in the past 10 years,this makes me feel good as they have remembered me and not forgotten me :D and it makes me feel always welcome and who knows maybe one day i will go :wink:

As for excuses i cant think of any good ones right now,how about the obvious "iam not feeling well" its a bit lame i know but all i can think of :?

Hope it all works out for you :wink:

arlequin

I also hate familiar events, particularly weddings and be invited to birthdays where I don't know much people there. Always thinking of good excuses and after that I feel guilty for not going. As someone said before the good thing about it is that you feel people think of you and that's a thing we should apreciate.

Horatio

I dont get invited anywhere so dont go anywhere. Just spent the last 4 days in bed. Parents did send me a chocolate egg though

MadCat

LOL Horatio that sounds just like what I would say. Nowadays I don't even remember what day certain *social* events are on.

Infact I don't really care. It doesn't bother me that I don't get invited to these things 'cause I think they're stupid to begin with. That's just my opinion though. Not like I've ever told anyone that anywya.

Horatio

my favourite holiday is coming up soon, ANZAC day. For those non Australians and New Zealanders, ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and is the 25th April, marking the day in 1915 when our troops landed at Gallopili and were cut to shreads. 10 000 NZders fought there and about 7 000 became casualties including my Great Great Uncle who was killed at the landing.

Basically its the same as your Remberance Day.

Its my favourite holiday because there are no celebrations for me to miss out on, noone is bouncing around having happy parties without me and it is an occasion that I very much feel part of out of respect for my Great Great Uncle. Every year I put a poppy next to his photo on my cabinet.

Gives me a bit of perspective, I might think I have it bad in life but at least Im not wading in salty water with Turkish soldiers firing machine guns at me

SomeGuy

I hate holidays but not because of fear of being with people. I hate holidays because I always spend them on my own.

It is good that other people celebrate together - I think it is healthy and I wish them every happiness. Still, it certainly reminds me about what my own position is. I get so good at pretending to be normal that I sometimes almost have myself convinced, then suddenly it is Christmas and I'm all by myself and there is no way to pretend that I have a life.