Eating Out/Travel Tips for Germaphobia

katlac32

I have a serious issue with germs. I am wondering if anyone has any travel tips. What do you do when you have to stay in a hotel? I don't want to use the towels there or sleep on the bedding. Also it just makes me nervous what if the patron that stayed there the night before was sick and we are just breathing in all the germs our entire stay? I am planning on bringing Lysol wipes to wipe down surfaces/remote/doorknobs/keycard etc. Am considering purchasing a cheap set of towels and sheets to take with as well. No way will I use the bedspread at the hotel! Also any tips on eating out? Just in general, but will obviously be eating out for all meals while on vacation. I can't stand the thought of using silverware at a restaurant, so this is something I avoid while at home and only get take out...we don't eat out anymore! My husband thinks this is odd, but I've never explained it to him before so this is something he doesn't know about and not sure how I will hide it on vacation. I'll be honest he doesn't even understand the extent of my germaphobia, its something I keep hidden, because when I try to bring it up it has caused serious arguments before! I don't want to use silverware that thousands of mouths have been on! I know they get sterilized (hopefully at most restaurants), but I can't stop thinking about it!! What if something looks clean but is really dirty and it gets used at our table? I am thinking about bringing my own cutlery set with some dishwashing detergent and just washing between meals, hiding in my puse and exchanging my own silverware for the restaurants each time! But I don't want my hubby to see me do this....I also have a daughter and would be switching hers out without him seeing too! Can only think of trying to fingerfoods while at restaurants and just making sure to use bathroom/wash hands before eating! Any one have any ideas or similar concerns? What do you do? I appreciate any advice!:):)

katlac32

Just to clarify...its not just eating out at restaurants, its eating out even at families homes/gatherings. I feel I often come across as rude because I decline eating at others homes. One time over Christmas I was at my in laws and everyone was eating dinner at the table and some of the family members had colds and I wouldn't eat anything! People looked at me like I was kind of strange. We also went to a wedding recently and I got food on my plate so it wouldn't look strange, but I just pushed it around my plate. Some of my family members watched me like they must have thoughtI had an eating disorder since I didn't eat! I just don't feel comfortable eating unless I've handled the food myself and they are my own dishes! But oddly enough I will eat out at restaurants...just have to do take out where I can use my own silverware, I do okay with certain drive thrus, but am leary about trying different places outside my norm. Even the deli at my grocery store bothers me sometimes because they wear gloves to get the deli meat, but sometimes I'll see them messing with their hats or wiping down counters with their gloves on, then they don't change gloves before they get your meat out!!! I just watch for things and keep getting new ideas of what bothers me. No, I am not currently receiving professional help. I know I should, but I haven't.

BloodFury

Here is what I would do... I don't because I don't want to look crazy and I am not a severe germaphobe.

Buy your on food to bring, wear plastic gloves, and try to be careful around people.

As for actually solving the problem, I would visit a doctor.

WeirdyMcGee

I don't feel that it's rude to bring your own cutlery; you could always switch it out casually with the ones laid out for you to use and eat with your own.
I bring a toothbrush with me everywhere I go-- that and hand sanitizer.
If you don't want to eat because you're too nervous about the preparation of the food or how it's served- politely decline and say that you ate earlier but the food smells lovely.
You can bring pre-packaged snacks with you in a small bag on in a coat pocket as a plan b.

--If you feel that this much is still too little for you, it would be good for you to see a therapist and begin to get some help.
Once a phobia begins to affect how you do simple tasks every day, it's important for your own sanity to seek counseling.
Taking small steps, I'm sure you'll get well enough some day that people won't even notice and maybe you won't think about the germs at times, either?

The first big step is to ask for help!
You can only be helped if you want to change, though.

teatime

It sounds like your germophobia is quite serious. I'm going to offer you some tips, but they are not tips that will enable your OCD, rather I hope they help you get over it.

- Use the bath towels and linens provided by the hotel. Just tell yourself they are clean. I am picky about bath towels too so before I use one I check it over to make sure there are no weird stains, etc.
- Don't look into rooms being cleaned by housekeeping. You may see them clean something in a manner you don't like so what you don't know can't hurt you.
- Choose a more upscale restaurant. Don't go to a greasy spoon diner. A diner will most likely look a little dirty which will make you think it's full of germs. If you choose a nice restaurant it will have a cleaner appearance and make you think less about the germs. And they will have nicer cutlery too!
- Whatever you do, don't switch out your daughter's cutlery. Kids learn form their parents and I don't think germaphobia is something you want to pass on to her.

I hope these tips help you in some way. Good luck to you and let us know how your trip goes!

katlac32

My trip went okay, unfortunately I didn't get the last reply until after our trip, so I made do with my normal ways of avoiding things and got through it. I did schedule an appointment with a psychologist (to deal with the germaphobia and also some separate marital issues and how the germaphobia affects the marriage). This was a huge step for me and I'm so glad I went. Unfortunately I have to wait another 5 weeks for a f/up appointment! Was disappointed in that, but I really like the doctor I saw and think this process will be helpful.