Effects of social isolation

InDeepshit

I have realised my lack of social interaction and low self esteem have led me to believe that i'm stupid. Everything i learn i forget, i really have no memory (i know it's also because i watch too much tv and don't think much about anything). It's almost as if i can't connect to anything i do, so i don't think- i've become resistant to learning. So is anyone also experiencing this? what other problems are you dealing with?

dottie

i'm the same way. i have a shitty memory. you can tell me one thing- it goes in one ear and right out the other. if i read something i have to read it a few times over before i can absorb it. i wonder if it is a permanent side effect from having taken meds in my past (i'm no longer on them).

Foxglove

Hey, I thought it was just me. I feel like more brain cells are dying off every day. My memory is shot to hell too, but I'm not sure if it's the social isolation or the effect of taking antidepressants for years. Who knows what that shit does to your brain 8O . I don't watch much TV, I prefer to read. But that doesn't seem to have influenced my mental capacity for the better. Making decisions is really hard for me, too. Even really insignificant ones like what to make for dinner. Do any of you have that problem too?

dottie

Foxglove said:
Making decisions is really hard for me, too. Even really insignificant ones like what to make for dinner. Do any of you have that problem too?

yes! when i go to pick out a dvd from my collection to watch, i can easily sit there for 5 minutes, sometimes up to 10 minutes, deciding which dvd i will watch. same with other small decisions, too, like what to eat from the cupboard. when i go shopping at the store i tend to take my time, too, unless i'm there to pick up something specific.

social isolation is very bad. go see a psychiatrist asap to help you overcome this. social isolation can lead to suicidal thoughts, i know from experience.

shon

dottie said:
Foxglove said:
Making decisions is really hard for me, too. Even really insignificant ones like what to make for dinner. Do any of you have that problem too?

yes! when i go to pick out a dvd from my collection to watch, i can easily sit there for 5 minutes, sometimes up to 10 minutes, deciding which dvd i will watch. same with other small decisions, too, like what to eat from the cupboard. when i go shopping at the store i tend to take my time, too, unless i'm there to pick up something specific.

I do the same thing with the dvd's. I usually end up not picking one since I can't make the big decision. I do the same thing with dinner. It's harder to decide on something that needs to be thawed out since I can't make the decision early enough. I end up making things from a box at the last minute or it's fast food. Sometimes I think maybe it's ADD because I also lose my thoughts quickly.

splorff

InDeepshit said:
I have realised my lack of social interaction and low self esteem have led me to believe that i'm stupid. Everything i learn i forget, i really have no memory (i know it's also because i watch too much tv and don't think much about anything). It's almost as if i can't connect to anything i do, so i don't think- i've become resistant to learning. So is anyone also experiencing this? what other problems are you dealing with?

Its interesting that so many of you report these symptoms. However, you are not all stupid and forgetful.

The condition makes us ever watchful of other peoples reactions to us. It is likely that we are too preoccupied with this to pay to much attention to what is actually being said in conversation.

As for "stupid" of course some of us feel this way. This is what we might expect from any group suffering from low self esteem.

The poor memory I think is caused by depression.

I think all these symptoms would disappear if recovery/cure were possible. And I believe it is !

You already have the better of your enemy. You know what you are sufering from. Read up all about it, together with medication and therapy.

At 51 I am better now than I ever was. Time well spent is your best friend

InDeepshit

I've never taken medication and i still have these problems:!: I'm not completely isolated, i live with family and my work involved constant interaction with people, so i'm putting myself out there but am avoiding long term relationships like friends, sorry the title was misleading-thankyou for your concern. My belief about being stupid is really affecting my life, i can't articulate a verbal response at all to anything that requires decision making or knowledge. The computer conveniently diguises how this affects me.. I'm just worried because it's bad enough that i'm socially inept, and now that i take myself and life too seriously my personality has devolved into boring-ness. I'm also always whining... so many things to change and so much crap to clear out of my head... i really can drive myself mad!