Emotional eating/drinking

twist3d

Anyone here eat when they are anxious/depressed?
I've always "medicated" my issues with eating, especially anything with lots of sugar, since it gives the sugar high and makes me feel better.

I'm overweight, have always been. I really hate myself because I can't stop overeating. It's a vicious cycle. Don't think I can ever break it.
I also have started to drink alcohol more and more since I moved to my own apartment. It helps me relax as well.

Kinetik

I rarely eat. I'm a 6'4'' guy and I only consume around 1300 calories a day. I usually self-medicate with alcohol. The thing is, the more I drink, the less food tastes good to me. I'd rather be tipsy than bloated and full from food. I also find that depression numbs my taste buds to a certain extent - things just don't taste the way they used to. So I usually pick at food during the day and have a few drinks to help me relax in the evening.

kuze

I've always "medicated" my issues with eating, especially anything with lots of sugar, since it gives the sugar high and makes me feel better.

I'm overweight, have always been. I really hate myself because I can't stop overeating. It's a vicious cycle. Don't think I can ever break it.
I also have started to drink alcohol more and more since I moved to my own apartment. It helps me relax as well.

I'm the same way, I eat liek crap all the time, even more so when I'm depressed. the high from just stuffing my face and feel bloated subdues the depression for an hour or 2, then I do it again. I hate it but I can't stop it, recently I have been getting into more exercise, so that keeps the weight gain at bay.

I ALWAYS eat when I'm anxious (which is all the time). I'm CONSTANTLY nibbling, like a farm animal!. I also prefer sugary things, and especially if has chocolate. I notice that my mood is lower generally, if i haven't had some really sugary/chocolatey stuff for a few days.

I'm skinny (a bit underweight), due to my very high metabolism (& stress), and my self-esteem definately is lower because of it. But looking on the bright side, i can eat as much as whatever i want without the weight-gaining issue that most people have (but i still want to be healthy, and not get diabetes.., so above is not strictly true).

I used to drink alcohol heavily (for resolving mood problems).

As far as losing weight, i think it can be done, in spite of genetics, birth weight & other factors.

Summarizing what i have come accross over on this topic:
• There is a specific amount of kCal that MAINTAINS your current weight. Higher than this ADDS to weight, lower than this SUBTRACTS from weight
• Your first priority should be to stop ADDING to your current weight. Then if achieve that reliably, work on second priority (below)
• Your second priority should be to SUBTRACT from your current weight
• You can adjust your caloric intake by consuming LOWER CALORIE foods & LESS of it (smaller meals & portions)
• There are many "fancy" diets out there, but don't worry about any of them, the above is all you need to know. Also, you do NOT need to tend to a slavicious exercise regime to lose weight! (exercise does very little, unless you go "all out" like in say that program "The Biggest Loser")

Last edited:

3lefts

I used to, a lot.
Then I got tired of it, so I've been saying no to myself and distracting myself with some other means, like coming on here, going for a walk. Except the times I do give in are when I'm incredibly depressed. One could even say sulking. Especially if I'm really lonely!
So to avoid eating I've begun to learn to eat when I feel actual hunger, and not an emotional need. Separate the two.
Sometimes doing something physical works better. Like turning up your favourite music and dancing.... as embarrassing as it is, nobody will be around so why not?

LookingForward

I do the opposite when I'm depressed/anxious.
I don't eat. I have no appetite. I have to force feed myself just so that my stomach doesn't growl all day.

I'm similar to the Katie, when I'm anxious the last thing in the world I want is food, I can go a couple of days without eating and I won't even feel hungry, probably too focused on whatever is bothering me to even notice.
But then when I'm feeling better I'll suddenly go on a huge binge which usually consists of me buying a tonne of junk food and only being able to eat a fraction of it coz my stomach has shrunk...

mmmm

I'm similar to the Katie, when I'm anxious the last thing in the world I want is food, I can go a couple of days without eating and I won't even feel hungry, probably too focused on whatever is bothering me to even notice.
But then when I'm feeling better I'll suddenly go on a huge binge which usually consists of me buying a tonne of junk food and only being able to eat a fraction of it coz my stomach has shrunk...

What are you guys doing when you aren't eating? I can't even imagine depression without a sweet taste in my mouth. What do you use as a void filler?

EscapeArtist

I do this too... Haven't over the last 2-3 days though which, sadly, is really good for me... The only reason I have stopped is because I'm trying to lose weight. I was at my wits end and just decided that's not what I want to be anymore. Mindless eating when food is not what I am lacking. Weight can really contribute to another reason to stay in the house, another reason to hate yourself, another reason to not live the life you want. Do you do other things while you eat? Like are you on the computer when you eat? Because if you can learn to get absorbed in one thing at a time, then you can distract yourself from needing food. hhhm...... I can't help much because I need a lot of help with this too.

MollyBeGood

I am sorry you overeat. I worry about you over drinking alone in your apartment. Try to avoid that ok? I find if I am anxious and feel depressed, meditating-or practicing mindfulness helps me some... also I have taken up working-out on my never used exercise equipment as of the last few weeks. That eases stress and tension and gives my body a chemical high naturally while I get to look better physically. Try physical activity over food or drinking anyday :cool:
Sugar is "crack" basically and eats out your insides be careful.

twist3d

I usually self-medicate with alcohol. The thing is, the more I drink, the less food tastes good to me. I'd rather be tipsy than bloated and full from food. I also find that depression numbs my taste buds to a certain extent - things just don't taste the way they used to.

I have noticed that too, depression really numbs my taste as well - same with all senses really. But I guess my overeating isn't so much about taste.

I'm the same way, I eat liek crap all the time, even more so when I'm depressed. the high from just stuffing my face and feel bloated subdues the depression for an hour or 2, then I do it again. I hate it but I can't stop it, recently I have been getting into more exercise, so that keeps the weight gain at bay.

Exercise helps, true. And tea - because of the caffeine. It makes me kinda hyper, even more than sweets. But both make me sick in the end.

I ALWAYS eat when I'm anxious (which is all the time). I'm CONSTANTLY nibbling, like a farm animal!. I also prefer sugary things, and especially if has chocolate. I notice that my mood is lower generally, if i haven't had some really sugary/chocolatey stuff for a few days.

I'm skinny (a bit underweight), due to my very high metabolism (& stress), and my self-esteem definately is lower because of it. But looking on the bright side, i can eat as much as whatever i want without the weight-gaining issue that most people have (but i still want to be healthy, and not get diabetes.., so above is not strictly true).

Chocolate is definitely my drug of choice ::eek::.
I have high metabolism too which is the only reason I'm not obese (yet). I still should lose weight but most of all I should somehow put a stop at this blood sugar/mood roller-coaster ride I've been having for years.
If I don't get sweets, it really makes me anxiety worse and makes me tired.
Unfortunately I have zero willpower so I can't deal with the "withdrawal".

Thank you for your weight loss tips. Unfortunately, I know a lot about losing weight in theory. I just don't have the will. So nobody can help me. It's all up to me.

I used to, a lot.
Then I got tired of it, so I've been saying no to myself and distracting myself with some other means, like coming on here, going for a walk. Except the times I do give in are when I'm incredibly depressed. One could even say sulking. Especially if I'm really lonely!
So to avoid eating I've begun to learn to eat when I feel actual hunger, and not an emotional need. Separate the two.
Sometimes doing something physical works better. Like turning up your favourite music and dancing.... as embarrassing as it is, nobody will be around so why not?

Congratulations for your success! :)
I know I have big issues with separating real hunger and emotional need. I haven't found any way to really ease the anxiety enough to not succumb to binge eating. Exercising, music, drawing, reading, going out, eating something healthy, drinking tea, it's all good but no good enough. It works at a good day, not at a bad day. And since I've given up, I always think "what's the point?".

I do this too... Haven't over the last 2-3 days though which, sadly, is really good for me... The only reason I have stopped is because I'm trying to lose weight. I was at my wits end and just decided that's not what I want to be anymore. Mindless eating when food is not what I am lacking. Weight can really contribute to another reason to stay in the house, another reason to hate yourself, another reason to not live the life you want. Do you do other things while you eat? Like are you on the computer when you eat? Because if you can learn to get absorbed in one thing at a time, then you can distract yourself from needing food. hhhm...... I can't help much because I need a lot of help with this too.

The longest diet I had lasted for five days. Nowadays I know I can do one day only. Then my blood sugar crashes and I feel so bad I will over eat.

It is a vicious cycle, isn't it?
Feel anxious, eat, get fat, feel anxious about being fat, eat some more. :D It's would be hilarious if it wasn't so damn depressing.
Although, I'm so ugly that even as a thin lady it wouldn't much matter. Which of course is a bad excuse - I should care more about my mental and physical health!

I am sorry you overeat. I worry about you over drinking alone in your apartment. Try to avoid that ok? I find if I am anxious and feel depressed, meditating-or practicing mindfulness helps me some... also I have taken up working-out on my never used exercise equipment as of the last few weeks. That eases stress and tension and gives my body a chemical high naturally while I get to look better physically. Try physical activity over food or drinking anyday :cool:
Sugar is "crack" basically and eats out your insides be careful.

Sugar is indeed "crack" for me.
I try to keep my drinking at sensible amounts. Although sometimes I feel "sensible" is missing from my vocabulary, lol. ;I
think I should try to exercise more regularly.Especially now that it's christmas coming and all. Just thinking about all the chocolate makes me both very happy and sick rolleyess:.

Snowdrop

Yes, I always eat sugary, unhealthy foods when I'm feeling especially stressed and/or anxious and even worse whenever I'm bored which normally leads to me feeling depressed, which is often. I feel like it can help fill a tiny part of the void. But I know I have to climb up a different ladder to get to where I want.

EscapeArtist

hey twisted, I think the only way to get away from overeating is to avoid the urge to diet.. If you diet then the extreme contrast from overeating> dieting will come back and bite you in the ass when the cravings start, and you'll probably end up overeating even worse than before. Try to focus on eating when you're hungry, and eating anything you want. Don't put any food groups off limits or you might overeat them just because they are off limits. If you allow yourself to eat anything, as long as you're hungry, then you'll just see sugar for what it is.. or more-so. Try not to focus on the weight or it will drive you to either diet or overeat

Concerning my diet tips ... at the risk of me maybe having to eat at least some of my words, here is a web link on "Why Are We Getting Fatter? Seeking a Mysterious Culprit" :confused:

And about blood sugar: I think in theory, your "diet" could include a way to not suffer withdrawal from those "sugar highs". Why not?. Motivation is certainly a big part of being able to successfully follow a diet, and since sugar-highs can affect that motivation, that needs to be catered for. I know that some of those really expensive diet systems out there (Jenny Craig?) have elements which deal with motivation. What you can do, i'm quite sure, is to substitute other foods (but not totally) which reduce sugar cravings, maybe provide same/similar/other "mood boosts" but without the sugar. And other things that can make you more healthy/balanced, thereby actually reducing your need for sugar [rushes]. But that's all in theory. Maybe if i got something working for myself first (haven't to date, but still hope), maybe then i might drop you a line! lol

twist3d

hey twisted, I think the only way to get away from overeating is to avoid the urge to diet.. If you diet then the extreme contrast from overeating> dieting will come back and bite you in the ass when the cravings start, and you'll probably end up overeating even worse than before. Try to focus on eating when you're hungry, and eating anything you want. Don't put any food groups off limits or you might overeat them just because they are off limits. If you allow yourself to eat anything, as long as you're hungry, then you'll just see sugar for what it is.. or more-so. Try not to focus on the weight or it will drive you to either diet or overeat

The problem is, like I said before, I have zero self discipline. I'm just spineless. So I can't limit myself a all. But thanks for your tips!

Concerning my diet tips ... at the risk of me maybe having to eat at least some of my words, here is a web link on "Why Are We Getting Fatter? Seeking a Mysterious Culprit" :confused:

And about blood sugar: I think in theory, your "diet" could include a way to not suffer withdrawal from those "sugar highs". Why not?. Motivation is certainly a big part of being able to successfully follow a diet, and since sugar-highs can affect that motivation, that needs to be catered for. I know that some of those really expensive diet systems out there (Jenny Craig?) have elements which deal with motivation. What you can do, i'm quite sure, is to substitute other foods (but not totally) which reduce sugar cravings, maybe provide same/similar/other "mood boosts" but without the sugar. And other things that can make you more healthy/balanced, thereby actually reducing your need for sugar [rushes]. But that's all in theory. Maybe if i got something working for myself first (haven't to date, but still hope), maybe then i might drop you a line! lol

It's easy in theory. But I think motivations is something you either have or don't :/
Thanks for trying to help tough!

Kristina223

Depends. When I'm a depressed state, yes. I eat until I feel sick and until all the food in the house is gone. But when I'm anxious, I can't eat anything. I can't even think about food. My weight doesn't change, though ... If I don't eat at all for a week or if I overeat, my weight stays the same.

Jane9

I sometimes do that, and weird thing I know why I'm eating so much but I can't stop, it'slike self punishment of some sort, even knowing why you are doing you keep doing it... stupid

R3K

I used to drink alcohol heavily (for resolving mood problems).

As far as losing weight, i think it can be done, in spite of genetics, birth weight & other factors.

ditto, minus the alcohol part. i have four or five favorite fastfood restaurants i cycle through every week. the highlight of my day is basically hitting the hawaiian bbq place and getting a plate full of sweet steak slices drenched in teriyaki sauce on a bed of cabbage. i'm a bit underweight despite my enjoyment of eating. sometimes i wish i was a tad overweight so it'd motivate me to exercise more. propper nutrition is some complicated stuff, and it's especially hard to get on a healthy diet when you've got fastfood habits. if i don't have my hour-long tasty meal of the day or two, then i feel like crap all day long.