Ever wonder this life is a dream?

yohannes

do you ever go to your mirror and look at yourself and can't believe that is really you.

In My Dream

I am happy to be a life, but sad I am dead.
In the mirror I see a person
Wondering if that is me
Is this me or is this a dream.
I feel empty hallow
This is not a dream I have lived before.

Doomed2Die

toothpastekisses said:
Gaa I love philosophy, it makes everything seem so trivial :D

Unless of course those things are trivial at all. :lol: . But yes, I agree. At times things can be a little slow and dream like personally, but I attribute that to depression and tiredness (quite rightly).

playthepsychedelic

toothpastekisses said:
Yes, it's the ex-philosophy student within me I think!
As confirmed by old Descartes' Cogito Ergo Sum (yeah, and that swish Monty Python song), dismissing such a concept and accepting the universe as real, material fact seems the most reasonable thing to do; you cannot doubt the existence of your own mind, it's a contradiction in itself. Therefore, it makes sense to be sceptical about life being a dream. I dunno though, say you're dreaming of walking past a baker's shop (bad example, I know) and you could smell the bread and cakes being baked. If dreams aren't representative of reality then why is it that they are often vivid and involve all five senses, despite often being jumpy and ridiculous with juxtapositioned sequences?
Hmm. In a way I wish my dreams were reality, they're so much more interesting than this bastard of a life!
This might be worth a read...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article391138.ece

totally agree with that. if you're interested in these things you could try practising conscious dreaming (takes a while but is truly life changing) or taking psychedelic drugs :lol:
they really convince you that life isnt real. we only have 5 senses(or 6,dunno) and together with our emotions these are the only ways we can perceive "reality" . what if there's another sense, something like a 4th dimension, but we can't "see" (better:perceive) it??? that would mean that life as we know it isn't complete!! but in a way, we can never perceive everything,right?? our brains select only the things that nature wants us to perceive; reality is a very unstable word. it's just what our senses bring to us and how our emotions respond to that.

Kamen

What I like about philosophy is contemplation. But we find this in science, too. I believe both in science and philosophy, but what I dislike about philosophy is the pseudointellecutal mumbo-jumbo some people put into it (I mean, words and phrases which are not needed). Those people who are truly brilliant speak and write in clear, simple, yet touching and unique manner.

As for reality - I have this deep intuitive feel and knowledge that the reality is not (only) what we experience through our senses.

As for me - I feel different, as not belonging to this planet, since I remember.

Last edited:

krs2snow

Pinker said:
I've experience deja-vu countless times

I love the feeling of Deja Vu! Don't you? Something about it is just... awesome!!

Do you believe in Faith? Most people actually do. Maybe not on a day to day basis but, if something big happens they say "It's Fate! :) "

So, assume Fate exits. If Fate exists then everything is preplanned. It's already written out. Therefore, when we experience Deja Vu, we're simply catching a remnant of the pre-written Plan. It feels so familiar because it's always been there. We just hadn't experienced it yet.

Deja Vu is catching the Author turning the page in the previously written 'Book of Fate'.

alwmt

toothpastekisses said:
Yes, it's the ex-philosophy student within me I think!
As confirmed by old Descartes' Cogito Ergo Sum (yeah, and that swish Monty Python song), dismissing such a concept and accepting the universe as real, material fact seems the most reasonable thing to do; you cannot doubt the existence of your own mind, it's a contradiction in itself. Therefore, it makes sense to be sceptical about life being a dream. I dunno though, say you're dreaming of walking past a baker's shop (bad example, I know) and you could smell the bread and cakes being baked. If dreams aren't representative of reality then why is it that they are often vivid and involve all five senses, despite often being jumpy and ridiculous with juxtapositioned sequences?
Hmm. In a way I wish my dreams were reality, they're so much more interesting than this bastard of a life!
This might be worth a read...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article391138.ece

Descartes is my hero. When I took philosophy I felt that I wasn't alone in my thinking for the first time in my life. I believe that our senses are deceitful. I will be somewhere doing something and I wonder when reality will finally kick in. Then I think, what is reality, what does it consist of? I believe that reality has to be more satisfying than this life I'm living, but its not just my dissatisfaction with my life. When I look and touch things it feels as though I am phasing in and out of a dream and reality.

typewriterx

Oh mayn. Don't even get me started. This happens to me sooo often and all it does is confuses and frustrates me. What if when I'm "awake", I'm actually dreaming? Or what if none of this exists? Eck. I try not to think about it, because reality&consciousness confuses me more than anything.