Exercise/Physical activity helping for OCD?

limjorino

So I've heard numerous people say that working out and getting good physical activity can help with your brain chemicals and help you think clearer, relieve stress, etc.

I usually get at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise everyday, but I'm thinking of trying to get more now that my OCD is back in full force.

Has anyone else noticed improvements in controlling their OCD through getting a good amount of physical activity?

durda_dan

Yes it without a doubt helps me. I run 3 miles a day and do 2000 crunches and it does wonders for me but it is not a cure but does help.
i should excersise. my ocd definitely put me in a **** it, who cares mood. i gained a lot of weight this year. i know i should go out there. i used to run everyday. but i don't like shanghai weather. and there are too many people, and no tracks or open parks (parks here are govn't run, have opening and closing times, and often running moderated)

plus gyms are expensive, i went to a gym for a little with my girlfriend, but when she excersised her back hurt. so she didn't go. and because she didn't go. i didn't either.

dooby-duck

It definitely helps me. I cycle about 12 miles a day, about 45 minutes at a decent pace. I find although the thoughts still come, they don't have the same effect in bringing on anxiety when cycling. It also helps me relax, which is something I have difficulty doing. It calms me down for hours afterwards and seems to slow my thoughts down.

I used to use a rowing machine for 45 minutes a day but had to stop due to the racing thoughts, so only exercise outdoors now whatever the weather. This might be an obsession in itself though.

lost n alone

For many many years it was not so much to run/cycle a lot (extreme) i had too. Sure helped with fitness. Todays wisdom fitness as a cushion over thought ..i am. Complex nature of s.p. ocd. I just needed to know i am ..not my neourotic ocd thoughts. Being in the zone..wow no drug or therapy goes near - the zone.