Exposure?

<ladybug>

Tomorrow i'm going to venice by myself to go somewhere out of my comfort zone. It is a little more than 30 min away from home. I plan on walking on the boardwalk and maybe buying some things. I am really motivated to start getting out of my comfort zone and get better.

Anyway, are you guys working on overcoming your agoraphobia, SA, etc.? If so how is it going and what kind of things do you expose yourself to?

CZi

Tomorrow i'm going to venice by myself to go somewhere out of my comfort zone. It is a little more than 30 min away from home. I plan on walking on the boardwalk and maybe buying some things. I am really motivated to start getting out of my comfort zone and get better.

Anyway, are you guys working on overcoming your agoraphobia, SA, etc.? If so how is it going and what kind of things do you expose yourself to?

Oooooh, Venice Beach! Good choice and kudos to you. :]

I have SA/BDD and I found that exposure really helped me! IMO I'd recommend it after you have a strong support network going (friends/family, therapist, groups etc.) in case you need someone to help ya stand strong. I forced myself to get a job after my isolation kick. Not just any job, but a really social one to boot hahaha! I worked as a host then eventually waiter at a fast paced restaurant. It was torture at first, but the need for money and real consequences for quitting kept me going on. It definitely helped with interacting and talking to people, especially to strangers. I still get shy and self conscious after all that though, it's a never ending work in progress. :p

los77

I've actually tried the same thing in the same place but for some reason I don't like the vibe at venice beach. I hope it works out differently for you though.

<ladybug>

It went well. :D
I was a little more nervous about the anticipation of going. I really think my medication (venlafaxine ER 37.5mg generic for effexor ER) is working. I still get nervous, but it seems to only get up to a certain level to where it's still managable. Hopefully the rest of my exposure goes as well. :D

CZi

It went well. :D
I was a little more nervous about the anticipation of going. I really think my medication (venlafaxine ER 37.5mg generic for effexor ER) is working. I still get nervous, but it seems to only get up to a certain level to where it's still managable. Hopefully the rest of my exposure goes as well. :D

Great to hear! I feel the same way towards effexor and paxil. Funny how anticipation is almost always worse then the actual event, no? Kinda like rollercoasters lol! :p

Did you interact or talk to anyone? Or just blend and become one in the crowd? Plan on going back or trying someplace else next?

MaliceInWickedland

Usually I don't like crowded places like that but Venice is so awesome because you see so many different kinds of people that no one there really passes judgement on anyone and I feel like I can actually fit in with the crowd. One of my favorite places to go during the summer :D

Away with my rambling - I've been working on conquering my social phobia this summer, the one season that really brings out the social phob in me, and have done fairly well thus far. For the first time this summer I went to the mall (one of the social settings I dislike the most) in shorts and it felt amazing to be able to dress lightly and not really mind being looked at. At first I thought exposing myself was going to be really difficult and stress-inducing, but it's actually going pretty well and it feels really good to be able to feel like a normal person again :)

<ladybug>

Great to hear! I feel the same way towards effexor and paxil. Funny how anticipation is almost always worse then the actual event, no? Kinda like rollercoasters lol! :p

Did you interact or talk to anyone? Or just blend and become one in the crowd? Plan on going back or trying someplace else next?

I just blended in. But talked when I went into a tattoo shop to buy some jewlery for my lip piercing. Next I might go to the long beach aquarium on sunday (if it is open) with my friend and her boyfriend. That will be hard, but they know that I freak out about stuff so if I do it wont be so embarrasing.

Yeah venice is cool, I just didnt like when I would walk into a cloud of insence. Oh and a homeless santa told me "get the f out of my way!" haha.

WeirdyMcGee

I'm not up to doing something that big as far as exposure goes...

I go to the grocery store, mostly...

I've been to the beach a couple of times, which seems silly because I live in a beach town- the beach is 3 minutes from my house and I'm pale as a ghost AND allergic to the sun. haha
So whenever I go to the beach, I have to wear full length pants and a longsleeve shirt and sit under a beach umbrella to keep from catching fire.

I've been to several family funerals. One family reunion.
Most of me daily exposure comes from going out for walks/going to the store to pick something up though. I will not put myself into a crowd of people because I'm too terrified of someone pulling out a knife and deciding to stab me for no reason.
Wouldn't be the first time...
XD

Good for you ladybug!
Keep up the exposure~ it sounds like you're doing wonderfully.
I love piercings- you should upload a picture! Kickass!