Eye Contact - can it be permanently lost?

iheart

What do you do when nothing you've tried restores the ability to make and maintain good eye contact? I remember being extremely stressed in my early 20s and suddenly couldn't make eye contact. I knew something was going on in my head and I was pulling my eyes away on purpose at first. Then someone brought the poor eye contact to my attention and it seems like that was the last day I could make any kind of normal eye contact. Nearly 25 years later, it's still gone. I lost my life - couldn't make friends, couldn't finish school, couldn't pursue a profession, couldn't date, couldn't get married, barely kept myself employed. I built my life around this problem because I never could fix it. I can't even really call it much of a life as I've just sat on the sidelines all these years watching life carry on without me. I truly feel like the only thing I've been able to accomplish in life is not killing myself, and depressing as it sounds, I honestly do claim bragging rights to that.

I understand more about SA and personalities, etc. But this one thing...this little thing has managed to control every aspect of my existence and continues to do nothing but destroy my opportunities and hopes. I've never met anyone with as severe a case as this.

zharl

I don't know and I'm not qualified to answer. Are you seeing a therapist? Have you discussed this with them? Perhaps they could problem-solve with you and help you come to some solutions.

I know I've had difficulty with eye contact in the past--nowhere near as severe as what you're describing--but I don't remember what I did to improve this aspect of my SA. What I do remember is talking with my psychologist about it at the time...

iheart

Yes, 25 years of meds and any who would accept my insurance if I was employed at the time. I even started treatment with new therapists with "I can't make eye contact," so they would know how serious a problem this was for me. It evades them as well and they resort to treating any/everything else hoping it'll improve along the way. Never did. I feel like it's something that can be re-learned as many people have. But I can't crawl out of this hole for some reason that I can't reach.

Sacrament

Ask a parent or sibling or someone you trust to practice with you. Look them in the eyes while talking to them for as long as you can, and when you break contact, rinse and repeat.

zharl

Ask a parent or sibling or someone you trust to practice with you. Look them in the eyes while talking to them for as long as you can, and when you break contact, rinse and repeat.

That's not a bad suggestion. Really, it's about building up confidence which you seem to have lost entirely.

iheart

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried to do that for so many years, but it's still a daily struggle, making life more like a really long, lonely bad dream. All I can do is keep trying. Maybe I need stronger or higher dosages of medication, nothing to lose at this point. Sure wish I knew someone else like this.

Sacrament

Try to think of why it's so terrifying to you to look someone in the eye. Yes, it can make you feel as though the other person can look into your soul and see you for who you are. But is that a bad thing? If you learn to accept and love yourself, then the person you show is kind and worthy.

Alternatively, maybe try to be less inwardly focused when you talk to people and consider looking them in the eye. Instead of focusing on how scary it is, focus on them. Notice their features, what their eyes and facial expressions are saying, the words they're speaking. Eventually you're so focused on them that you don't even notice how long you've been looking them in the eye.

iheart

Also good advice, thank you. It's what I have done all these years and continue to do daily, and it's probably what keeps/has kept my head above water. I'm at a point now, however, where I want to live free from the struggle and do more, be better.

The most I've been able to accomplish is looking like I'm making eye contact with someone even though I'm really not. I swallow my fear and project outwardly and fake a gaze in the direction of the other person, but at that very moment, my mind floods with anxiety(?) and kind of goes blank. So at the same time that it appears that I'm making eye contact, I'm actually removed from the moment (fight or flight). This weird trick started in my 20s as some kind of survival mode - since I knew I'd have to make eye contact with people to be able to survive, I psyched myself out in order to feel less intimidated when looking at someone by becoming (in my mind) somewhat invisible. Knowing that was unhealthy, I began to try other self-help techniques, but nothing worked and I was getting desperate. So I kept training myself to "go blind when I look at people." Wasn't long before I developed what doctors called "hysterical blindness" where I was literally losing control over myself and going blind when I became anxious. This was terrifying. Twice, while I was crossing tall bridges, I lost eyesight. Had to stop at the top of one bridge and try to calm down because I truly couldn't see anything and couldn't tell if I was driving too close to the side railing. Remarkably, the typical reaction I got from doctors after sharing my experience was a doubtful or disinterested, "Hmm, is that so?"

Meanwhile, life was carrying on for most everyone else, so I did my best to hide my struggle and pretend to function normally with very limited, poor eye contact. I discovered self-destructive things about myself over the next 20 years, such as undiagnosed body dysmorphic disorder and a raging ego that would not let me love myself - basically a lot of shame-based issues. Even recently, I learned that have strong characteristics of an INFJ, which isn't a bad thing, but certainly contributed to my highly sensitive tendencies. With these understandings, I continue to work on my self-confidence and eye contact. But it's still very difficult and life is still very painful. Although I accept and actually appreciate that I'm awkward, I still feel socially rejected. And those feelings come from literal rejection - left out of group activities, always the unchosen one in social settings or professional opportunities, always the bridesmaid but never the bride. I want to be more outwardly focused, but I'm usually the only one around, so, I spend too much time in my head thinking about my problems.

I feel like this is the life of a loser, not "I am a loser." It takes ten times more effort and courage and grace to keep showing up to lose your battles with some dignity.

I just want to, finally, share my story in hopes that someone else with a similar problem comes across it and discovers they're not the only person in the world who struggles with this burden.