Facebook/Forum Chat Stuff

DevC

Always happens, I'll have my facebook up, a friend will say something and it goes like this.

Friend--Hey
Me-- Hi hows it goin?
Friend-- Good, you?
Me-- Good.

Then unless I try to keep the conversation going myself it will just stop there.

Its nice of then to give me the attention, but if the friend is going to be the one to open up a chat, dont you think they would be the one to keep the conversation rolling? Or have something to discuss?

rant/

awkwardamanda

Yeah, far too many chats go like that for me.::eek:: It's usually a little bit longer but often not by much. I just don't know what to say. My life is uneventful so I never really have a lot of stories to tell. I don't just wanna ask a bunch of questions. I can't keep a conversation going so I tend to avoid starting them in first place. Sometimes I'd really like to talk to people, but I just can't bring myself to say hi to them because I'm afraid the conversation will go nowhere and then I'll just feel like an idiot. It's really hard to initiate a conversation and hope that the other person will carry it.::(:

Roman Legion

For one, I despise social networking and if I used it, I'd have to make a pseudonym. But your conversations sounds like every 'conversation' on dating websites, no matter who starts the conversation..

dyingtolive

i think its ok... yeah it could be more interesting, but you know just replying again with a :) could give some closure

just the fact that 'they' started it is enough to even make me feel good.
Happened to me a few times too. Some people are also just not used to communicating online / chatting, but its ok for me. Better than forcing it :)

Iluv

That's practically most of my conversations. ::p:
If they know me enough they'd have the interest to carry on a conversation with me. Since they know my interests etc etc.
Or if I knew them enough I would continue it on with them.
So if the conversation ends with that awkward 'good' or 'okay.' Then I know it's not worth wasting my time on.

twiggle

I always try to maintain conversations like that on fb chat because I appreciate that they made the effort to initiate contact with me as opposed to other way round, but it can be a little annoying if it just turns into me asking them questions and them not asking any back so I can see where you're coming from.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I think it is the responsibility of the conversation initiater - at least at the beginning - to get the conversation going. I don't know maybe they hope that your answer to how are you is more descriptive, but come on usually it's not and they should have some sort of follow up question. I assume people start conversations for reasons, maybe having a conversational topic in mind. Even if not, and they are just bored or want to talk to someone, thinking up a follow up question to get started seems like their job.

That's why I seldom start up 1-on-1 conversations with people, I feel like I have nothing to talk about and that the success of the conversation is my responsibility.

Roman Legion

Ugh.. I hate facebook so much.. Too much of nothing going on there.. I don't know, I really despise any social networking site.. Am I alone here on this?

very_shy

Ugh.. I hate facebook so much.. Too much of nothing going on there.. I don't know, I really despise any social networking site.. Am I alone here on this?

Not really. :)

I re-created my FB account again a while ago, but only because of relatives who live in another country. But I almost never start a chat and FB makes me feel depressed when seing others posting IRL social acitivities, like going to the parties, etc. It is like observing the others are stepping to the Moon while I am learning how to walk.

Gaucho

i have an FB account but i never post, only chat with 1 person. i look at pictures of my once friends, makes me really sad, how they have fun times, friends, like why they do/study. sucks balls

Eyv

Yeah this always happens to me too.. I often wonder to myself if its only me that conversations ends like this with

razzle dazzle rose

To avoid the possible awkwardness of it I have the chat feature on FB disabled. I participate there by commenting and "liking" statuses and pictures. For me that is enough.

Nathália

^^ Here here ^^ I like to be invisible sometimes.....all the time on facebook.

I hate my facebook. I want to delete it, it's an embarrassment. I don't like to show much about myself.

I comment on photos "Oooh you look nice" and blah blah blah blah blah blah. People already know that I'm "the quiet one" and I am just proving it to them.

I had an account just to like pages and be a stalker. I didn't even put my real name up. I love being anonymous. I even have a wig on so hopefully people won't recognize me.

Now the new facebook setup just makes me want to hide even more.

A big humongous picture is supposed to be at the top. What am I supposed to put there? 100% sure not my face. It's corny.

MikeyC

I hate my facebook. I want to delete it, it's an embarrassment. I don't like to show much about myself.
You can show as little or as much as you like on Facebook. I rarely update my status these days, but I comment on others'.

I am invisible on every forum I go to, too.

HenryWS

This sometimes happens to me, more often however the conversation doesn't take place to begin with. However, almost always in these situations I start to get really anxious that I'm coming off as boring because I have nothing to say - not meeting their expectation. So I'll start to strain my brain to force topics of conversation. It can come off as really contrived...