Facial blushing is the worst pain in life...

Sacrament

That's what I try to do, buddy. Tough when you have no self-confidence and you're self conscious as hell.

i know its easier said then done like most things, and like most things it just takes time. tell urself every day you look in the mirror before work or when u pass one, look yerself in the eye and point at yerself and say "YOUR BETTER THEN THIS" but you gotta mean it man, its defo helped me out

C

cbt

WOW,,All I can say is WOW !!. I thought I was a freak of nature,and feel so relieved that I am not the only one with this nightmarish problem. I have no life, I go nowhere except the damn grocery store cuz we have to eat. I go very early in the morning,,or late at night hoping not to see anyone I know and all the way there my stomach is turning and I have anxiety because I am worried about who I might see. I cannot run into people I know without turning beet beet red, and my heart POUNDING out of my stomach. I cannnot go out to dinner with my husband, (because I have actually never talked to him about this) for fear he will see me turn red when the waitress comes to my table to take my order. I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE> I know he knows there is a problem of some sort,,cuz we never go anywhere together. I don't want to make a fool out of myself in front of him. Of course for the first few years of our marriage it wasn't quite as bad,,,but with age it has gotten worse because to me it is less exceptable for a 42 year old woman to blush anytime someone approaches.
If we are outside and somebody pulls into the driveway my heart starts pounding,,,cuz I know what is coming next. UUUUGH !!! It is absolutely horrible. I only live 3 hours from my father and stepmother and want so badly to visit them but I turn red in front of them as soon as they start talking to me, or asking me questions. It is humiliating, and I feel as if they all think I am a freak !!!. Turning red makes me feel like a complete moron. This is a horrible way to live your life....hiding and avoiding ALL social situations. I never knew until yesterday that there was a name for it,,,and that other people suffered like me. I have NEVER EVER met anyone who blushes like this. I have rarely ever seen anyone turn red in the face. I know exactly what you are all going through. It is horrible.!!

daniel4o

If you feel blushing is the worst how about blushing and facially sweating at the same time at the situations as you mention and many more...???

I really hope you get better!

doesit

Oh man,it seems like i wrote this post can relate to everything 100%,most of the time it seems youre an ordinary person like all people,but those situations where you start to blush especially in work environment can make a living hell in your body.Ive been going through this hell for over a year now,and theres almost no day where i wouldnt embarasse myself in front of others,and the worst thing that we have to live through every second of the pain when its happening :/

tgates209

It stinks that we struggle with blushing, but it has actually helped take a little edge off hearing about other's struggles here and knowing I am not alone. Knowing I'm not alone means that I'm not a freak like I once thought and that there are a lot more people out there who don't blush that have seen other severe blushers like me. Ironically, my newest job has numerous people who blush heavily. I mean heavily. The thing is is that I don't feel better that people are blushing because I know the hell it causes, but it reminds me that everyone in this world has some tension in their life that causes them grief. For our small, not so stealth group (can't be stealth with a red face!), our tension is blushing and the anxiety associated with it.

Lexmark (I think the originator of this thread), trust me my friend, I have been through your EXACT situations countless times. COUNTLESS TIMES!! It causes me to walk away asking myself "what the heck is wrong with you?!?". That's how bad my blushing is. I honestly think it scares people when it comes on strong. It's so fierce sometimes that I believe it's causing others to blush and to lose track of their thoughts. How do you like that, Lexmark? HAHA! Imagine blushing so bad it's contagious. Well, that's me. The good news is, in 6-12 months I will be cured of it forever. I'm so happy about it too.

IJustWantMyLifeBack

tgates209, how will you be cured ?

blushing has taken control of my life and put a big stop sign on it.. yep my face go's so red people stop to ask me if I'm ok....

I have had to stop going to work, dinner parties, pubs, and most public places as I go so red people now ask me am I ok....

I must look so bad....

I wish i could go back to living my normal like.. I feel I'm going insane trying to find a fix.. but I guess there is none the last couple of years has become so bad that i'm turning into a wreck....

O

odes

I have this facial blushing for all my life I am 45 y.o and still I am looking to find out what the problem is. Guys just trying trying trying. At the last I heart about porphyria and high levels of histamine Maybe, I hope.............!

F

frispy

i desperately need your help! If you don't mind, i would like to share my social phobia/excessive blushing problem and experiences.
Please could you possibly take the time to read through my post because, although i've researched quite a deal about the fear of blushing and excessive self consciousness etc and HAVE done techniques, my condition has never been worse.

Firstly, i am a male, and almost 15(in april). I have missed ALOT of school over the past 2 years because my excessive blushing problem has formed into the social phobia cycle of fearing blushing and has got so bad i blush whenever i'm in my school environment and i actually have no physical choice but to avoid it.
These are just some of the typical scenarios that provoke my blushing:

exposing myself to:

- my recently met school peers,
-most public people of the opposite sex,
-people i refer to making me feel awkward (maybe from remembering past experiences),
-most uncomfortable public situations (public speaking- although specifically with people i know or who i think might judge me),
Basicly just situations where i fear i'm going to blush. (even if they're not embarrassing at all) (i also have a flush of sweating when i blush)

****(below is a long description of how my blushing increased over 2 years, i would appreciate if you read it because you may see some detail that you are either familiar with and can exchange tips on blushing advice etc---
SKIP TO THE NEXT 4 ASTERIXS IF YOU WANT TO READ MY POST MORE BRIEFLY)*

It all started when i was in year 8 (13yrs) and i started dating a girl (not the first time btw). It was the last year of junior/middle school and most of my friends had already gone to secondary. My class consisted of 5 girls and me (so quite small and personal), which didn't bother me on the self conscious side of things (unless it was subconscious) until later on. Mid year (i cant remember the situation specifically as such) is when i actually blushed (face turned red from slight embarrassment) for the first time. I think i remember being at lunchtime, sitting among alot of girls (including my recent girlfriend) and one confident boy who used to talk and flirt a lot. This grew in months until everytime i had lunch i would be paranoid about blushing, especially when i was sitting with both my girlfriend and my very confident friend at the same time. Whenever they'd say something a little bit embarrassing or if i thought it would lead to embarrassment i would quickly change the subject or leave for the toilet.
Anyway, the end of the year came and my flushing wasn't too drastic yet, i could still talk to girls pretty well and performed a play at the end of the year, although the rehearsals were a nightmare for me. Especially because my girlfriend was always in the same scene as me so i had to act in front of her and meet eye contact alot. The time came and i had to move house about 250 miles away and i slowly lost contact with my girlfriend.

I attended a new school in autumn 2008 (my current secondary school) and was very nervous but, at the same time, quite excited. For the first week i rarely spoke and i think i blushed once very briefly. But as time went on, after the first week, i started to know people and acknowledged some of the attractive girls and 'popular' people. Of course, because of the new environment it's hard to get socially accepted, especially when you have social phobia. Out of all my friends from junior school, I never thought i would be the one who'd find it socially difficult, Ever. I don't think anyone else did either. But unfortunate life went on and i started to blush when i spoke to girls that were attractive. Lunch was the first (and still is) BIG problem. Because there's an alloted time to sit down and eat in our school, exposed to anyone and everyone, unable to move until the bell went, it was torture.
Just 2 or 3 weeks into my new school was when i started to take days off because of avoidance of blushing, i took 3 days off, then became 4, 5, then i would go back in for a few days or so, then take more off. It was getting more rapid and so was the blushing. I was falling behind on work and by the end of the autumn term i managed to only attend about 40% of school. The school was very cooperative and helped as much as possible, but i didn't tell anyone of my blushing, i couldn't. They just took it as social phobia. I tried again in the spring term (2009) after the new year but only managed a few weeks without taking more days off again. I blushed explosively about 4 times a week without people noticing, everyday i was conscious about blushing and was avoiding breaks and lunches.

Mid spring term i had no close friends and started missing school completely. Then the depression hit in. I was doing no coursework, i couldn't speak to many people (especially acquaintances) , couldn't go into town regularly and was missing out on life! I started seeing a hypnotherapist. The problem was- i couldn't say because i was just getting anxious and actually blushing in my hypno sessions. She taught me some tips on calming anxiety and i told her i was very self conscious to an extent that i couldn't go into an uncomfortable environment but never specified that actual flushing red was my problem. She said i don't have much of a problem with self esteem or lack any cognitive abilities, but i already knew that. It wasnt helping after a month and a bit (i know it probably wasn't long enough) and i was just getting really anxious about attending the sessions so i reluctantly cancelled the sessions and started researching.
I purchased an eBook online for £20 about curing the cycle of fearing blushing and calming self consciousness. I only had a visual book on most of the stuff i already knew, plus a few extra techniques on how to reduce blushing. The therapy tape, however, i had a go at. But it only downloaded half the mp3 so i didn't get it all.. My research on helping my blushing problem paused when the summer holidays came and i knew i had to go back in autumn. All the work i had fallen behind on from the times i had missed was now on top of me. I had to finish it before i went back, so i spent all holiday working. Luckily, it paid off.
I went back to school in the autumn on a fresh start, different appearance, fresh mind and was feeling okay-ish. But I now constantly had my head down, away or hidden most of the time in school and rarely started a conversation because i was SO conscious of my blushing. I blushed everyday , every time i spoke to certain girls or a group of people and absolutely hated going there. It was at it's worst. Two acquaintances i knew from last year became close friends of mine and they noticed i was less socialable than before, i told them i have a form of anxiety depression, which is partly true, so they're more tolerant and understanding about it now. I was now allowed to have my lunch in a seperate room, which was a huge relief for me because i could relax on my own, although i hated the questions. The questions my peers asked me when i would mysteriously miss school, or go in a different room for lunch, or not go out to break etc. I just told them i needed to catch up on work. I hated lying, I hated missing school.
I stayed pretty constant in my attendance through the term though, taking little days out but always pulling myself back in again. It was a struggle. Especially with extra coursework on top of it. Certain lessons became a nusense and i would hate certain days more than others because of the desk layout, people in the classes etc. It was starting to get selective. I was okay talking in town to shop keepers or buying things and was getting better in public areas and exposure. My main problem now was school. I associate it with fear and blushing, so the thought just makes it worse. I now blushed excessively about 3 times a day, in school, but constantly thinking about it and trying to prevent it. It's exhausting. I stopped attending and started doing work at home at the second half of the term and then christmas came. So now i'm here.
My school starts again tomorrow but i doubt i can bare it until i get temporary help to get more relaxed about socializing without worrying about going red!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm so behind on work that i'm on the verge of failing secondary school and GCSE's- which is a big deal for me because i am usually good at most aspects in school (academic and sport - and, previously, the social aspect until i developed this).
I try to keep up with work whenever i can but it's just piling up. Moving schools would pretty much be defeating the object because i'm in the middle of my GCSE's anyway. Plus, there's no guarantee i wont have the same problem anyway where else after a few weeks.

-The thing is, (after a bit of shyness as an infant) i grew to be a bit more confident and really good with people (not flirting or talking loads, but just good with people), everyone liked me in my junior school (9-12yrs), i made people laugh,i was a good speaker, people used to describe me as witty too. I didn't have any problem with socializing and i had a major role in a play! Infact i was very 'popular' with my peers. But soon as this took over i, gradually, was trapped and before i knew it, found myself avoiding social situations with certain people, school lunches etc. However,after 2 years, because avoidance has overrun me, i'm now in the worst situation possible- avoiding virtually all intimidating situations.

-90% of the time it's triggered off from myself always THINKING about blushing or WORRYING whether i'm going to blush when im in, even, the most slightest uncomfortable situation- which makes me think that it may have nothing to do with histadelia and may just be completely psychological.
But even if it is, maybe there is some medicine i could take that would decrease my blushing for the first few weeks and help regain some confidence and move on from there?

Sorry about the length of my post.
It's surprising how much the fear of a red face can actually do, really.

You will actually completely turn my life around if you can help me. :(

Btw, I think having this has really made me come to terms with the stress and struggle this actually gives to people and i give utter respect for everyone out there unfortunate enough to be suffering and missing out in opportunities, It's unfair. It, also, should never be looked down upon by hypocrites who don't know what it's like. All social phobias should definitely be taken seriously, however 'silly' or simple they may seem from unexperienced eyes.