Facial Hyperhidrosis when I am anxious..

Piglet Boy

My SA has stemmed heavily on Facial Hyperhidrosis. I have tried the following:

1MG - Robinul
1MG - Xanax

I am 200 lbs.

It has helped, but I would like to get off of benzos. I've been on this on/off regiment for like 7 months or so. I've tried diff't combinations and nothing is a guarantee.

I think my SA developed from this sweating issue.

What can I do to combat this? What's the strongest dosage you folks have taken? What has worked?

I have tried 2MG of ROBINUL before, but I haven't tested this out at work.

Please help me =(

pedro123

Dude I hate these acronyms. What is SA? San Andreas?

wrt robinul, u can take as much as you want up until the side effects become unbearable. For most ppl it's 8 mg.

Piglet Boy

Dude I hate these acronyms. What is SA? San Andreas?

wrt robinul, u can take as much as you want up until the side effects become unbearable. For most ppl it's 8 mg.

Social Anxiety = SA.

What I meant was, my Social Anxiety is due heavily to this over-active reaction (the sweating) I get in social situations. It worsens a lot when I sweat and over the years, I have developed the anxiety due to this.

I take a small walk and I would be drowned in sweat. I answer a few questions w/ my boss, I'm drowned in sweat.

I ponder the fact that if I am able to control the sweat and stay dry, even in the most embarrassed situation of situations that I might be able to condition myself into having that assurance and confidence.

I can deal w/ the anxiety and worry, I just can't deal w/ my body's reaction.

Thing is, I don't know if this regiment of mine is the key.

pedro123

So would you characterise yourself as having social anxiety and not hyperhidrosis?

I am the same, I go for a walk and I start sweating. I am becoming more secluded in order to be able to deal with it.

Piglet Boy

So would you characterise yourself as having social anxiety and not hyperhidrosis?

I am the same, I go for a walk and I start sweating. I am becoming more secluded in order to be able to deal with it.

Well I have gone up to some girl w/ friends and made steps. I actually don't mind engaging and talking.

I got an A in speech before during college but my sweating wasn't as debilitating. I think I got hurt subconsciously at work thats why I feel like this at times. But it's a hit or miss, though a lot seems to have been leaning towards the anxiety/sweat as a whole.

What do you think? I'm able to tone down my dosage at .5MG XANAX and 1MG ROBINUL. I'd like to try work a day w/ just ROBINUL and no xanax, but I don't know how work will be.

Knickerless

If the Xanax is helping it is because your sweating is, in part, caused by anxiety. If this is the case and you want to get off the benzos you should look into alternative treatments as, unlike with HH, alternative treatment such as herbal remedies, acupuncture, Cognitive behavior therapy, etc can work very well for anxiety... you may find the problem will go away all together.

deadwetter

P Boy.....talk to your doctor before making any changes but here is my advice. We are on the exact same 2 medications. I take 3mg Glycopyrrolate (generic Robinul) every day. 2 mg at 4:30 am on an EMPTY stomach and a 1mg kicker at 10am if needed. I arrive at work at 7:30 am so I actually set my alarm to take the 2mg and then go back to sleep for 90 minutes. I have taken 4mg in one (HOT) day without bad consequences. I think the maximum recommended daily dose is 8mg. So try increasing your Robinul dosage on an empty stomach first. The weekends are the best time to experiment with the dosages because you don 't have to deal with the anxiety of work. I take Xanax as needed. Sometimes I will go a week without needing it and sometimes I need 2 in one day. The best thing about Xanax is that it works quickly. Just knowing that you have the option of taking it can be a security blanket so always carry it with you. But only take the smallest dose that helps because you can become dependent on it. A high dose can also drag you down so be disciplined with this medication. Also talk to your doc about getting on an antidepressant. Sounds like Paxil or Zoloft might be worth a try for you.

Piglet Boy

P Boy.....talk to your doctor before making any changes but here is my advice. We are on the exact same 2 medications. I take 3mg Glycopyrrolate (generic Robinul) every day. 2 mg at 4:30 am on an EMPTY stomach and a 1mg kicker at 10am if needed. I arrive at work at 7:30 am so I actually set my alarm to take the 2mg and then go back to sleep for 90 minutes. I have taken 4mg in one (HOT) day without bad consequences. I think the maximum recommended daily dose is 8mg. So try increasing your Robinul dosage on an empty stomach first. The weekends are the best time to experiment with the dosages because you don 't have to deal with the anxiety of work. I take Xanax as needed. Sometimes I will go a week without needing it and sometimes I need 2 in one day. The best thing about Xanax is that it works quickly. Just knowing that you have the option of taking it can be a security blanket so always carry it with you. But only take the smallest dose that helps because you can become dependent on it. A high dose can also drag you down so be disciplined with this medication. Also talk to your doc about getting on an antidepressant. Sounds like Paxil or Zoloft might be worth a try for you.

The thing is, when I engage in a convo w/ someone, I feel tense and almost ready to crumble. I will try TOMORROW w/o XANAX, but just the ROBINUL. Sometimes I feel the ROBINUL is targeting the wrong nerves as my head feels weird. Or it could be the xanax. I'm able to feel the xanax though out the whole day, even at .5MG.

I think it's a combination of both though..

I only sweat on/off, its like i accelerate my sweating in even the slightest of actiivty.

deadwetter

OK....why do you think you feel tense and ready to crumble? If you are scared you might start sweating and embarrass yourself then attack the problem with the Robinul. But if the primary reason you crumble is fear of the social situation itself then talk to your doctor and tell him this. He may want to add a medication like Paxil to the Xanax to help level off your racing thoughts. Try to figure out where your fear is coming from before grasping for solutions. Ask yourself "What am I afraid of at that very moment ?"

Piglet Boy

OK....why do you think you feel tense and ready to crumble? If you are scared you might start sweating and embarrass yourself then attack the problem with the Robinul. But if the primary reason you crumble is fear of the social situation itself then talk to your doctor and tell him this. He may want to add a medication like Paxil to the Xanax to help level off your racing thoughts. Try to figure out where your fear is coming from before grasping for solutions. Ask yourself "What am I afraid of at that very moment ?"

It has been a combination of both, but as I've become more weary of the 'sweating', I would say that has dominated everything.

So your saying, in those dosages, you are able to not sweat, even if you were embarrassed?

I basically want something that I can take to meetings and stuff. Day to day, I can manage. I appreciate your help very much.

I hear PAXIL causes more sweating. I am on XANAX, but .5 mg daily, 5x a week just as a precaution. At times I find myself in a flurry, and panic (just on the robinul) itself.

deadwetter

P Boy - I won't lie to you. I still sruggle with my sweating. But it's not nearly as bad or as frequent since I started Glycopyrrolate. Glyco (Robinul) is a tough drug. Some days it works wonders and other days it misfires. Some weeks I have no side effects and other weeks I feel like I've been hit by a train. I can deal with the dry mouth, dry eyes, and tummy trouble that the medication brings. But I've battled anxiety and depression since my teens (I'm 42). Sometimes it's as if Glyco drags me down by making me more vulnerable to those feelings of despair. It makes me tired, ache all over, and can really zone me out at times. But oddly enough....Glyco doesn't do this all the time. Just like in different temperatures, in different social situations, on different days I don't sweat at all. Other days I melt I melt like a Frosty in the microwave. Weird. It's like trying to solve a puzzle with constantly changing pieces. I know Glyco helps tremendously with the sweating. I've learned the hard way that I must follow an exact routine to improve the effectiveness of the medication. I have to set an alarm and take it early.....on an empty stomach....with no caffeine....and no big breakfast......then take it again a few hours later.....with no heavy carb snacks or lunches......while sipping water throughout the day......with Tylenol on hand for headaches....with a spare under shirt in my desk just in case....and so on and so on. These are all things that I've been known to slip up on. It is on those days that HH usually makes a public appearance. So the med is not perfect.....just like me. As for the Xanax it works great for meetings and tough social situations. I'd keep taking it daily like you have been until you are feeling better. I wasn't trying to prescribe you Paxil but something in that family might work well with the Xanax. Don't to let the rumored side effects of any medication scare you off until you've tried it. They all work differently for each person so talk with your doctor about finding the one that's best for you. Good luck and hang in there :)

Knickerless

P Boy - I won't lie to you. I still sruggle with my sweating. But it's not nearly as bad or as frequent since I started Glycopyrrolate. Glyco (Robinul) is a tough drug. Some days it works wonders and other days it misfires. Some weeks I have no side effects and other weeks I feel like I've been hit by a train. I can deal with the dry mouth, dry eyes, and tummy trouble that the medication brings. But I've battled anxiety and depression since my teens (I'm 42). Sometimes it's as if Glyco drags me down by making me more vulnerable to those feelings of despair. It makes me tired, ache all over, and can really zone me out at times. But oddly enough....Glyco doesn't do this all the time. Just like in different temperatures, in different social situations, on different days I don't sweat at all. Other days I melt I melt like a Frosty in the microwave. Weird. It's like trying to solve a puzzle with constantly changing pieces. I know Glyco helps tremendously with the sweating. I've learned the hard way that I must follow an exact routine to improve the effectiveness of the medication. I have to set an alarm and take it early.....on an empty stomach....with no caffeine....and no big breakfast......then take it again a few hours later.....with no heavy carb snacks or lunches......while sipping water throughout the day......with Tylenol on hand for headaches....with a spare under shirt in my desk just in case....and so on and so on. These are all things that I've been known to slip up on. It is on those days that HH usually makes a public appearance. So the med is not perfect.....just like me. As for the Xanax it works great for meetings and tough social situations. I'd keep taking it daily like you have been until you are feeling better. I wasn't trying to prescribe you Paxil but something in that family might work well with the Xanax. Don't to let the rumored side effects of any medication scare you off until you've tried it. They all work differently for each person so talk with your doctor about finding the one that's best for you. Good luck and hang in there :)

This is a really honest bit of advice and something I can both agree with and relate too. I also suffer from anxiety/panic attacks but being UK based I take valium (diazapan 5 mg) as and when although this does not reduce the sweating for me. Check with your GP but glyco is the most effective drug out there but you need to play around a while to make it work best and reduce the side effects to a minimum.

Piglet Boy

Thanks. I really appreciate the support.

I get TOTALLY what you are saying. Sometimes I feel like I don't even need the drugs, other times I feel like the medication is not helping. I feel that during the later part of the work week, the xanax at .5MG is very sufficient. Also, it seems like if I take the medicine before hand, it prevents me from being in the panic mode. Makes sense right? To do Preventative Maintenance before I actually panic.

For me, I just want something ahead of a meeting or social. Other than that, I can deal with pretty well.

I have a question though. W/ the XANAX, how long do you think it stays in the system, and how long do you think it takes before it actually 'helps' you? I feel like the XANAX at .5MG lasts for the WHOLE DAY, if not more.

I tried 2MG ROBINUL, but I felt like it lasted in my body longer but didn't really stop my head sweating, though I drank last night. Still, I felt weird in my head. My stomache was a bit rough too.

Piglet Boy

I keep forgetting the idea that I am actually on .25MG daily as needed and find it very very strong. I have been on this for about a few months.

Any other idea? My appt w/ shrink is later this month.

Hello all,

Popped on to take a gander tonight and saw your post.

I also have generalized HH and anxiety and hate it...My anxiety makes my sweating worse.

I also take Xanax at night to help relax me and sleep better. I was on Robinul but could not take the awful side effects...

I feel for you. I know how your feeling and what your going through.

I run a hyperhidrosis support group and help you and thousands of others cope daily with living with this awful disease.

Yes you can take Robinul and Xanax at the same time. I would not advise you to increase your dosage without first talking to your Dr. Very important to keep seeing your Dr for the first few months while on this medication.

Hope to hear from you and we understand how your feeling. Sucks huh!

Hugs xxx

Anne

Very Sweaty Betty

Facebook Sweaty Betty

You can also watch my two documentaries I made about this on the forum, I sweat from head to toe and hate it esp my head and face...Hang in there xxx