Family members with SP

Yves

I was wondering if there is someone in your family that also has or had social phobia..? My dad has told me that he was just like me when he was younger, that he had very low self-esteem and spoke low and soft but based on how he is now outgoing and friendly i think he was just shy and grew out of it but anyway..anyone else in your family with SP??

chris87

I think I'm the only one in my immediate family with SA. My sister is very outgoing and has a lot of friends.

Yves

yeah besides me, everyone is outgoing and friendly (even my dad) i feel like the freak of the famly ugh.. at least they don't make me feel bad about it (most of the time) anymore.. but it still sucks

Ashiene

i think my father has a phobia of phones, because he almost never wants to talk to anyone on the phone. he'd always ask some1 else to do it. and he doesnt want anyone to know he has a cellphone either.

hes also very shy, but its not social anxiety.

jschuley

family...

My cousin has SA too, also I am pretty sure my grandma has it. though she doesn't know it.

Psilopa

I have a very old uncle who may well have SA. Everyone thinks he's just cranky and probably gay (no wife/girlfriend anyone can recall), but I wonder. I am somewhat tempted to tell him about my SA and then tell him why I told him. Where are, however, several reasons not to do that:

* I have my own problem to beat first.
* He may tell my mother, who does not know about my phobia.
* Asking would probably hurt him, whether he has SA or not (unless he is a fully healed ex-phobic). Who am I to make the last moments of a very old man more difficult than the need to be?