Family - Parents, Siblings, etc.

chris87

I was just wondering how everyone's parents/family are with regards to your SA. In my house, I think they know I have social issues, but they rarely say anything about it. I don't even think my parents know about SA. They would just say that I'm overly shy.

There are only a few times that I'll really hear anything negative from my famiy. In the rare event I'm going somewhere, my sister will say something like "where are you going? you have no life, etc." The other instance is when my Mom gets mad about something; she likes to throw in the line: "No wonder you have no friends." That hurts me quite a bit for some reason.

What about everyone else? Does your family bother you at all (with regard to your SA issues)?

VioletTears

My family is all quiet and we all sort of live on the edge of society, "I guess... That said, I have always been the most shy, but others were teased more by peers and such... So I think we all just evened out and didn't really judge each other for that.

I don't talk about my SA but I just assume it's a given and everyone knows... It's not as if I hide it well:p

But I do remember my mom taking me to the doctor when I was 12 or so and they asked her (because of my brother/family history) if she ever worried about me getting schizophrenia and she said that she used to worry about it because of my shyness... It really caught me off guard then but now I get it.

Also when I'm upset about something my mom tells everyone not to mention it to me because they all know I can't handle expressing my emotions to people so they try not to push me...

Infected_Malignity

whenever i bring it up, they can relate to how i feel... and they don't label themselves 'socially anxious' or just 'anxious' like i do. in fact, they're pretty outgoing and see it all as normal.

at the same time, they know i'm quiet... but they don't really see it as problematic. it feels good to be able to express how you feel without anybody being a dick. i've even told people outside of my family, and oddly enough they don't even think of me as anxious at all. even after i fucking told them i was!

damn. i'll never get it.

proudmummy

My parents, even my siblings, won't say it alot but they have occasionally said how I never used to go out, never seemed to have many friends...

I think they know i'm weird, they just don't want to say it.

My stepdad has made me want to cry a few times (even recently!) when he embarrassingly starts telling people infront of me how I never had friends (I did have friends, just never used to go out!!!).

My mum reckons she is shy but she seriously doesnt know the meaning....

I'm the eldest so its embarrassing to see my younger siblings really outgoing.

I want to cry now

Richey

Take pride in shyness it really is no better then talking alot in theory, i hear alot of people talking including parents and friends and alot of it is meaningless rambling which seems incredibly rude of me to say but thinking about it now its not like they come out with insightful conversation from my experiance and when i talk alot its the same and i dont sit there thinking bad thoughts about people being quiet if im talking alot and they arn't ...

watch this interview of two contrasting opposite type personalities but both are actually friends, you wouldnt know it from this interview ..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D__8UtMpz38&feature=related

i think the REAL problem is paranoia and prejudice

I find it difficult around certain people though in family and i actually find my parents and sister to be controlling and condescending most of the time, a little too arrogant so i dont get on well with them at all ...