Family Phobia

LilMissTragic

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone else feels social anxiety when with certain members of thier family. I only feel comfortable with my mum. My brother is the total opposite to me and I feel very anxious in his company, Is this normal???. Even with aunts, uncles , cousins etc i feel anxious and am usually very quiet.

Anonymous

Hiya Li'l Miss:

I'm totally the same, except that I even feel uncomfortable around my mom. It's so sad.

Anonymous

I have the same problem. Sometimes, I feel comfortable around my mom, my dad, and my brother, but I hardly ever feel comfortable around any of my other relatives. Whenever I am around my closest aunt, uncle, and cousins, I feel like running and hiding and never being seen again, and they all notice it, and they don't know what to think. I think they even take it personally, which just makes it worse.

Tris

I feel comfortable around my family till they start asking me questions, they dont understand why im 20 and have never brought a guy around, and why i never go out, and why i didnt finish school and when im going back ect ect ect ect. i have no answers for them, i dont know what to say i get embarssed. the only people in my family who know i have SP is my mom and my sister. my mom doesnt understand she thinks im just shy.

LilMissTragic

PHEW!... I'm glad to finally realise I aint alone with that problem. Thankyou to all of you that replied, its been a great help knowing I'm not alone. I have asked my mum to explain my problems to the rest of my family, I just hope they dont avoid me....though that would be easier for me...hehehe...but you know what I mean.

Anonymous

I understand

I feel uncomfortable, and am quite shy and unresponsive around most of my family. Even around my mother, who is a wonderful person. What does this mean? I'm a total asshole. You might be one too. If you're seriously determined to get over that family phobia, fucking stop it.

Anonymous

You're not an a-hole, justtwowords. It's not your fault, and I don't think anyone can just "f-ing stop it." That's why we still have SP. We don't know how to stop it.

Anonymous

i'm fine with my close family but uncles, auntes, cousins i am scared of and are terrified to be around them.

Uglyduckling

I'm not able to be comfortable in my dad, sister's boyfriends company, aunts, uncles or cousins since I was unemployed for 2 1/2 years and they gave me flack the entire time.