fear of all things ceremonial

i've realized i have a fear of any event in which i have to perform specific rituals...weddings, funerals, graduations...I absolutely hate the pressure to 'perform' according to the norm at these kinds of events.

for instance, the last several wakes i've had to go to, i just could not make myself kneel in front of the casket to "pay my last respects"...i don't even know why...if it's the people watching me, the whole false feeling of the act...or probably just both.

i continually rebel against these kinds of ceremonies and i wish i could just make myself go along with it but it's so incredibly uncomfortable for me that i become physically incapable...

Lorraine Manca

oh yes! im the same, its awful cause im a practicing catholic even though i dont believe in it anymore. everything is ceremonial from weekly mass to the sacraments. im not going to be able to sleep tonight because tomorrow night the sunday class i teach is going through thier first confession and theres the whole shindig to go along with it. i always wonder if the kids and parents can tell how disoriented i am when it comes time to do these big events. i know itll be fine but i get worked up all the same. i definately can relate to having a fear of all things ceremonial

Tiercel

Mom once dragged me along to a memorial service for a man whom I never met. To make a long story short, let's just say mom's a bit of a horse racing fan. So we show up, get in line and talk to his family, then I realize I'll have to approach the casket like everyone else. And me having no religious upbringing at all has no clue what to do at a Christian-styled death party. ;)

So I walked up and knelt at his open casket. One... Two... Three... I counted to ten, then crossed myself (backwards, as I later found out), and walked away.

The things I do for my mother.... :D

206Raider

I don't really mind going to weddings or other thigns but I hate when somebody asks to dance. Not my thing lol.