fearing certain numbers, how to beat it?

CJ32

I have been bothered by fearing certain numbers now for a long time. It's actually hard to write this because of the anxiety involved with even writing the numbers down, but I need to put it out there and see if people can help. I have this ridiculous fear of the numbers 13 and anything associated with 911. I fear that doing things associated with these numbers are harmful to my health and could result in something terrible happening. I was even hesitant to write this post today because the date is 9/11.

Relating to the number 13: I see it everywhere. If I am going shopping and the address of the store adds up to 13, I will not shop there. If the letters in the neighborhood I want to live in add up to 13, I will not live there. If the letters in the girl's name that I want to date adds up to 13, I won't date her. If I'm leaving my house for the day and the first number I see when exiting adds up to 13, I have to go in and "re-do the leave". When entering and exiting places, I have to think of a lucky number/lucky song/person with a name who's letters don't add up to 13; and if I do this "wrong", I have to literally enter or exit the place over again. I take vitamins and medication and after taking them and closing the lids, if I think of anything associated with the number 13 or see words/numbers that add up to 13, I have to "re-close" the lids in order to prevent harm from occurring in my body.

I could go on and on about this but I figured I'd stop here and see if anyone responds with some valuable information on how to get better with this. I'm a pretty normal guy, and aside from this, I feel fine and do normal everyday things, but these fears are a major inconvenience and get in the way every minute of my life. If you can help give me some tips on how to get better, I would really appreciate it.

MaliceInWickedland

I've been having this problem for some time now, especially with the number 911. I keep seeing it, whether it's on clocks, license plates, phone numbers, and whatnot. I also see the number 747 a lot, which adds to my paranoia of anything associated with 911. I actually refuse to go on planes because I always see these numbers and automatically associate them with the 9/11 tragedy.

A prime example of this would be a few minutes ago when I checked my profile here and my total page visits read 2,911, and of all the days of course (go see for yourself - it's creepy :eek:)

I don't have any advice to give you on this, but just know that you're not the only one out there dealing with this.

EDIT: I just noticed that after posting this my total posts was 1,019, which would be 911 backwards without the 0.

...Okay I guess I'm really being paranoid now ::p:

But still, pretty weird..

Last edited:

IGotSeoul

I see 666 everywhere.

It annoys me to no end. It's not so much that it's exclusively and inexplicably appearing everywhere, I just take much more notice when I see it and it leaves a lasting impact -- compared to say, 874 which I can say I've never seen, ever (because I'm not actively looking for it nor do I notice it exclusively..). I find and formulate patterns which result in the number. It's nothing but my mind overtaxing itself.

CJ32

well it's good to see that other people have this problem too and it's not just me going crazy. does anyone have any useful/valuable tips on how to go about beating this type of OCD?