Field Trip

ShadowCat

There is a field trip coming up. We're going out to a forest to camp for 3 days. I have actually made a friend this year and she is in my camping group (the group is made up of 4 boys and 4 girls), but she isn't going on the trip because she doesn't want to and her mother doesn't want her out in the woods because she is slightly paranoid. I want to go on the field trip because it sounds kinda fun and I'd just be stuck in school doing busy work if I didn't go. I know I wouldn't have a good time if I went on this trip without a friend and there really isn't anyone else I can be friendly with, or at least I'm too afraid to. Do you guys think I should go or shouldn't go on this trip?

redlady

Hi there - look i think you should go with your dseire - you said that the trip sounds like fun. You could still have fun on the trip without your friend. The alternative is to stay at school and be stuck with a lot of work - that doesn't sound like much fun at all.
Other than the absence of your friend is there anything else preventing you from going ?

ShadowCat

No, there isn't anything else preventing me. I just don't know if I'll have a good time at all if I go "alone."

paul

Hey shadowcat - I recently had a similar thing with my school, it was a sleepover (god forbid). And I just came to the conclusion, once more, that I think it is going to be horrible and even though it doesn't turn out great, our worst fears are never actually realized (well, very rarely). I say you should go for it, but if you don't, there are always other opportunities. by the way how old are you shadowcat? just curious.

SaharaWorld

Hi Shadowcat

Sounds like u havn't got anything to lose by going even if you don't end up having any fun...... because you'll just be stuck in class doing dull work if you decide not to go.

Better to go and use this as a learning experience than avoiding it and reinforcing your SA.

Then you can look back in a few years time and think to yourself 'I did things, I lived'.

ShadowCat

paul said:
Hey shadowcat - I recently had a similar thing with my school, it was a sleepover (god forbid). And I just came to the conclusion, once more, that I think it is going to be horrible and even though it doesn't turn out great, our worst fears are never actually realized (well, very rarely). I say you should go for it, but if you don't, there are always other opportunities. by the way how old are you shadowcat? just curious.

I'm a little confused, did you say that you did or didn't go to that sleepover? How was it if you did go and if you didn't, did you regret it? My age, I'm pretty young. I don't really like to say my age because I don't want people to lose respect for me because I'm so young. I'll tell you my age anyway though, I'm only a freshman in high school.

ShadowCat

Also, the last class camping trip I went on, I pretty much just hang out with my mom the whole time. I didn't have any fun at all really, that's one of the main reasons that I don't want to go on this one. There is an 8 mile hike and I would end up walking alone for that I'm sure.

paul

shadowcat I don't know why people would lose respect for you because of your age, I am only in 8th grade :) I did go on the sleepover. everyone else had a great time and I didn't have fun but ultimately I would call it a success because I wasn't dead anxious all the time.