Fighting my mind for control?

andsorry

I’ve wanted to see a psychiatrist again for some time now. Yesterday, I check my Chemistry test and I got an F and cried historically because that means I might finish the class with a C maybe. I want to get my GPA from beyond the 2.0 zone so I could get scholarships. My problem is having really bad test anxiety. For this week’s test I had extreme tightness on the right side of the chest, I experienced this weird instant cold where I went from normal body temp to feeling ice cold to the point I was shivering, I felt I had a virus taking over my mind where I could feel the heat of virus moving around my head, I had joint pain, I couldn’t feel my legs for a bit, I had chest pain and annoying intrusive thoughts. Mind you I didn’t do any vigorous activity. All I had was a test on Wednesday. A test I could have easily gotten a B on and I knew the materially very well. I knew the symptoms weren’t real and tried really had to convince myself I wasn’t taking a test which made it worst. Anyway after I turned in the test everything went back to normal, no pain and I felt fine. This really driving me crazy what do you do to combat these things?

sorry it's long.

Flanscho

Well, our senses and nerves bombard our brain all the time with information. With so much information, that our brain filters 99% of those out and we don't notice them consciously.

Prior to such a test, it seems that you spend all your concentration on searching for information your senses and nerves transmit to you, that could be interpreted in any negative way. That is, instead of having your brain ignore 99% of those signals, you actively try to perceive as much of those as possible. That you additionally expect them to be there not only magnifies any such sensation, but at times even makes you imagine additional ones.
Anyone could always feel some temperature changes, or "not feeling something for a short moment" or whatever. But our brain makes us ignore such stuff, because such small things are nothing to care about. But whereas others don't even notice such stuff, you focus on it.

How to 'fix' that? I don't know. I guess you first need to realize what's going on. Then you need to find a way how to prepare for a test that doesn't leave you that stressed. And finally it's a matter of experiences you make, that you can participate in tests without concentrating on feeling bad.

Scandic123

Unfortunately, the brain doesn't listen to logic in anxious situations, so I'd say the only way to solve your problem is to be well prepared for the test and get some good experiences, so that the brain will learn that nothing bad happens.

Quietguy11

My anxieties are triggered by people and social places, so naturally they deplete whenever I exit those environments. I have really bad test anxiety too which is why I have always struggled in school, and my concentration isn't the greatest either. Seeing a psychiatrist again would be worth the shot. Maybe a medication that relaxes the mind a little is all that you really need. Although at the same time finding the right medication can be challenging. I know this from experience. The next time you go to write perhaps you could get the psychiatrist you see to fill out a paper asking for accommodations, like maybe something like a private room to take the test in. Just a thought.

moms22

Thanks for your suggestion. I really appreciate that you took all this time to try and help us. Keep up the good work. Keep on taking action.

Last edited: