Foreign Accents

ShadowCat

I get really nervous talking to or even thinking about talking to people with foreign accents (thick ones). I'm always afraid of not being able to understand them and getting really embarrassed. It sounds kind of stupid, but does anyone else have this problem?

Chilling__Echo

i deffinately do!!

when i worked in a shoe store, i would get so nervous with thick foreign accents because when i couldn't understand them, they would always get mad at ME for not understanding THEM.

argh!! i would get so mad b/c they'd get so frustrated with me when it should be the other way around if anyone's gonna be frustrated.

i did have one guy though from Mexico, and he knew very little english and we basically had to sign the whole time but he was so nice, i was very appreciative - i'll probably never forget him, little things like that go far.

allanboy

Hey, foreign accents are great! They are a clear sign that the person is foreign(duh) and he has weird and foreigns things to talk about. A great chance to meet someone interesting. Oh, and the person is probably is on his to somewhere else, you´ll wont see him ever again!

Chilling__Echo

true, i love foriegners. i'm actually more attracted to someone not my race (i'm white), it just makes me nervous if i can't understand them :lol:

but i do love how it's like a whole other culture, new point of view and way of thinking things, i'm with you allanboy :wink:

ShadowCat

I don't have anything against foreigners, hope that I didn't imply that. I really like foreigners, but I get really embarrassed when I can't understand them.

SaharaWorld

ShadowCat said:
I don't have anything against foreigners, hope that I didn't imply that. I really like foreigners, but I get really embarrassed when I can't understand them.

When my GP was away, a new doctor, with an unbelievably thick accent, covered for her and for the life of me, I could not understand him!! I found this really irritating - he couldn't even understand me and was about to prescribe tablets for a completely different problem.

Nothing against foreignors either, but very frustrating having to deal with a doctor who you can't understand.

Skyla

i have no problem with them. its easier than someone who speaks english. at least if you cant understand a problem they're having its not YOUR fault.
Everything i feel (people cant hear me properly, i stumble on my words etc) is what THEY'RE going through and its a relief all the attention and the "what?" faces are not on me. lol

Scottish_Player

I do alot of jobs for people who are foreign, i work in a very cosmopolitan part of Glasgow and it soon became easy for me after doing it for so long, i have ended up picking up key words from them that i can use and they kinda understand me if that fails then i just shout it lounder in english :lol:

Dont you think its strange when someone is trying to talk to a foreigner but they dont understand english so the person some how thinks that if they shout it then they will understand :lol:

PhantomPod

I love foreigners. I do have a hard time understanding them sometimes, but I just say "what was that?" or just ask them to repeat what they said. They usually don't seem to mind.

Plus, it works both ways. Sometimes they might not understand ME, so they'll have to ask me to repeat it.

eterno

from a foreigner

Hello all,
This is my first post in this forum. I realised that I have SA not more than 10 days ago. And this was a big shock for me as it was explaining every diffuculties that i faced all my life. In my studies, my relations and so on...

About the accent and language issue, what should i say...I just think that you are lucky to have english as your first language...

I studied in uk and finished my studies recently but the thing is that in more than one year that i have been here i was feeling always uncomfortable with my english. i have this fear that people wont understand me or i wont understand them. I have this fear both for english people and also for other foreigners. And even sometimes it is a clear english what i am hearing i am just thinking so much about it that i cant concentrate to what has been said...I was also the one who doubted about having hearing problems...I think it is just an other part of it...

Also I was very interested to find a job in uk but i always thought that my english was not capable to make me eligible to work. And also other classical stuff such as the fear of interview and other things (speaking on the phone etc) was also making me crazy and stop me to make necessary arrangements. I will soon go back to my country, and i am sad that i will lose my english there. And also i am really thinking how i will find the way to find a good analyst to get recovered because I have enough of it...

Thats it from me for the moment i would be more than happy if you send me messages...

thanks...

Chilling__Echo

wow i can imagine, i'm sure it's much worse on the recieving end!! i have so much compassion for you!

i don't know if it helps because i can't hear you talking, but your writing is wonderful, i can't even tell, what's your first language?

The_9th_passenger

In my day to day I am bi-lingual because in the part of Spain were I live there's another language which is the Catalan (did you ever heard of that?) which is my mother tongue. So you bet I know that problem.
But never felt that fear but just the oposite. I enjoy hearing other ways of speaking and other accents. I also enjoy using English & reading it & listening to people who speak it.

By the way... anyone out there being bi-lingual somewhere out of Spain?

LittleMissScareAll

Yeah, there are some doctors here that are very hard to understand...not to sound racist or prejudice or anything-- because I'm definitely not...but I just don't usually like going to foreign doctors--foreign people are fine but I dont usually want them as my doctor. That being one of the reasons....and there are other reasons too.