Gamers thread

Ritta

I just watched Microsoft's XBox conference and they showed this new device called Kinect. Similar to the Wii, you can control everything with the movement of your body without controllers. It has voice control as well. Looks very neat. I wonder if Sony will come up with something similar for the Playstation.

Ritta

Ooooooweeeeeeee :eek: Gotta get me one of those. Actually I'll show my brother this clip and convince him to buy it ;)

Thank you for the video Pookah :)

Ritta

Don't say that Mrb. Technology is advancing quite rapidly. If you ever have a chance, rent the movie Gamer (with Gerard Butler).
They show the future of gaming. I don't think we're too far from it. And I don't mean the mind control part.
I mean the room scene where the computer is voice activated and has a 360 degrees screen which works as a touch screen. :)

2009_gamer_wallpaper_006.jpg

Ritta

Ooh I've seen that one. Really good movie. He was also in "The Ugly Truth" (really funny :D) and I can't believe he was the Phantom in "The Phantom of the Opera". Good voice.

Danfalc

Banned
Yeah the Wii is probably going to lose it's appeal now thanks to all this new stuff.

I don't know,The Wii was built with motion technology in mind.For me personally I can't help but worry that Microsoft and Sony are just trying to cash in on it's success.But that's all it will be,a poor imitation.

This E3 was a joke,if this is the way our games are heading,the future looks quite bland.

Felgen

I don't know,The Wii was built with motion technology in mind.For me personally I can't help but worry that Microsoft and Sony are just trying to cash in on it's success.But that's all it will be,a poor imitation.

This E3 was a joke,if this is the way our games are heading,the future looks quite bland.

I agree, but some of the stuff (eg. the new DS or the new Driver game) looked quite cool.

Danfalc

Banned
The wii's accuracy and motion detection is inferior to ps3 version.

While that's probably true.Just from my personal view point,I don't really care how accurate or "superior" any of them are.The whole motion controller thing to me just feels like a gimmick. Something which is cool for novelty value,but not changing the face of gaming.

Sorry If I sound cynical and negative about the whole thing.Owning a 360 makes what I'm about to say hard..But if anyone can put the technology to use,it will be Sony with the PS3 (The xbox Kinetic looks horrible).

But until then I'm not going to get caught in the hype,and enjoy my normal games where I don't have to wave my arms round like an idiot.And if I did want to..I would just spend 50 quid more and get an actual Wii and have access to games Like Zelda and Mario ect

I agree, but some of the stuff (eg. the new DS or the new Driver game) looked quite cool.

Yeah I'm not saying it was all bad,just compared to some past events.The new DS does sound pretty cool,and I was drooling over ID's rage.I know consoles are the big things these days,but it does seem sad they are increasingly forgetting about PC gaming.

Anyway wow rant,anyone played Singularity?It's been made out to be a Bioshock rip off.But I have been playing it and would say it's actually more like Half life 2 and takes inspiration from a few other games.But it does it all really well with pretty graphics to boot.

Pookah

While that's probably true.Just from my personal view point,I don't really care how accurate or "superior" any of them are.The whole motion controller thing to me just feels like a gimmick. Something which is cool for novelty value,but not changing the face of gaming.

Sorry If I sound cynical and negative about the whole thing.Owning a 360 makes what I'm about to say hard..But if anyone can put the technology to use,it will be Sony with the PS3 (The xbox Kinetic looks horrible).

I feel these are steps towards virtual reality. The part where he wielded a mace was especially impressive to me. That you could fight a game enemy with real world movements, precise and translated directly from your own.

Ritta

Wow that's so cool Pookah :)

Sony's controller is way better than Kinect. I agree with you that we seem to be getting closer to VR. With 3D Tvs, imagine how awesome it would be to have a light saber fight with anyone in the world :D

coyote

Wow that's so cool Pookah :)

Sony's controller is way better than Kinect. I agree with you that we seem to be getting closer to VR. With 3D Tvs, imagine how awesome it would be to have a light saber fight with anyone in the world :D

I think it'd be even cooler to have a real light saber duel.

I'm working on building one in my garage.

Testing has not gone well.

Anyone want half a cat?

Ritta

Kitty!! :eek:

You should test your light saber on stuffed animals instead ::p:

Although, I have to admit I've wanted to do the same to my bro's cat ::eek:: Like the day he drank all the milk in my cereal while I was in the other room. :mad:

ripewithdecay

lol ^

I have to agree though that all this motion control technology feels very gimmicky. It just doesn't seem like it can go much further than the same old table tennis, boxing, shooting the screen, swinging a sword, etc etc.

The only thing that stood out for me was the Child of Eden for Kinect. That one actually looks very interesting.