Going to the doctors (hopefully)...

I urge you not to go to some random family doctor, they are not normally trained in the mental health field. From experience, when I told my family doctor he rolled his eyes, until he found out it was an established college that had diagnosed me. I haven't been back since, even when I am having medical problems. Seek out a psychotherapist, one who is devoted to his job and helping with different problems as quickly as possible. I know relaxation techniques and hypnosis sound like a bunch of crap, but honestly you can train your mind to do anything if you want, just as easily as remember 50 names at work. If your feeling a panic attack coming on and in seconds you can train your mind to do or be somewhere else you can beat any phobia or anxiety disorder. If your insurance doesn't cover, ask him if he will be able to work with you even if you fall into financial hardship. I just started seeing a psychotherapist after seeing probably 20 different psychologists without any real help and a lot of wasted money. I am also under care of a psychiatrist but all they really do is experiment with different medications (hate it). A good psychotherapist will work with doctors in getting correct diagnoses and medications for anxiety associated with your social phobia. A family doctor probably won't even listen, not his field of work. My own PTSD manifested itself into agoraphobia and clinical depression. Get help now even if someone else calls for you, because your setting yourself up for possibly worse problems down the road, nothing worse then clinical depression, its one thing to be locked up in your house reluctant to leave, but try adding hating your safehaven because of depression can lead to disaster. I'm still there, first time in years feeling hope again.