Group Work

black_mamba

For those at school / college / university or even work situations when you are placed into a predetermined group;

How do you feel about it?

------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, it shows me what life could be like if I wasn't so socially inept. For a few days or weeks, the group of people who wouldn't otherwise communicate with each other are forced to, with varying results.

The thought of this for me ten years ago would be terrifying, but since I've become a bit more mellow I relish the chance to be around people.

For one of my uni subjects, we had to complete an experiment in a group then write up a report about it. Since most students weren't too keen on writing it was left to me and one other girl to complete the entire report (which was very long and very technical!).

We met up, spent a few hours typing it up, discussed some of the results which didn't make sense. I tried to start conversations about non-technical stuff but it was hard, although I did enjoy the company. The other girl would give one worded answers to my questions, but when it came to talking about herself - boy she talked for ages! But she was fun, and had a lot of info to share.

Towards the end of the day another guy came along to join us, luckily someone whom I like. I had such a nice time: the three of us agreed on a lot of stuff work wise and had fun 'chatting' [oh my god, me chatting??] the sun was shining through the windows, very calming.

When the report was finished, I said my goodbyes to the 2 very nice people and got on the uni bus. I was dissapointed to have left that situtaion. Its not often you get the chance to talk and have everything you say both heard and appreciated. A few minutes later the same 2 people got on the bus, but they were together. My lasting memory of that day was the longing - I just wish I could've been close enough to them to have stayed longer. :(

Think I've rambled on for too long now, your turn!!
:lol:

BrownEyes

I enjoy group work. I love talking to people. I dont enjoy group work when the work is to be presented...that ruins the entire experience for me.

Meatwad

revealing the fact that I have no friends...

Does anyone else get worried about when they finally do find someone to be friends with, that you have to have them know that you have no friends and don't really do anything? This is always a worry of mine.

I get so embarassed when people ask what I do. I have nothing to say, because I don't hang out with anyone.

ignisfatuus

Group work is lazy teaching. Period. I can see the necessity of it in labs where there is limited equipment or language classes where a verbal component is necessary, but in any other situation it only serves to waste time. I don't pay tuition to hear some idiot blather on unchecked. The few scraps of insight that may be gleaned from student contributions are far outweighed by inane opinions.

black_mamba

I enjoy group work. I love talking to people. I dont enjoy group work when the work is to be presented...that ruins the entire experience for me.

Same here, it clouds my mind so much I cannot complete the work pre-presentation.

Group work is lazy teaching. Period. I can see the necessity of it in labs where there is limited equipment or language classes where a verbal component is necessary, but in any other situation it only serves to waste time.

Unless the profession you are entering involves you sitting alone for the majority of the day (e.g. writer), getting involved in group work does improve people's awareness of each other and improves that tired old phrase - team work. Or maybe you'd prefer to learn the masics of managing a team small on the job? *shrugs*

Plus I've gotta admit, hearing other people's 'opinions' on technical matters makes for very interesting debates. :D

BrownEyes

Re: revealing the fact that I have no friends...

moog said:
Does anyone else get worried about when they finally do find someone to be friends with, that you have to have them know that you have no friends and don't really do anything? This is always a worry of mine.
I understand what you mean. I hate these types of personal questions. I especially loathe the intimate questions like, "Do you have a boyfriend?" "Why not?" ect....

Lisa

BrownEyes said:
When I am assigned to work with others, all I can think of is how embarrased I will be when we have to present the work. :oops:

ignisfatuus

If you are taking a business degree then group work comes with the territory (I dropped out of it and transferred to liberal arts for this very reason). What usually happens when groups are formed is one or two outspoken individuals dominate the conversation and the others kind of follow along. The time wasted 'discussing' the assigned topic could have been used ten times more productively alone. There seems to be an increasing number of instructors who like this 'interactive style' and I shudder every time I walk into one of their classes. There are many better ways to foster teamwork skills than wasting lecture time.

black_mamba

There are many better ways to foster teamwork skills than wasting lecture time.

Hmm my group work is out-of-lecture work, we never get assigned lecture time to complete it. Is this why lots of people here deride group work? It seems understandable now. :?