Guys who make fun of girls

shyflower

I notice when I go out to eat alone or are out at an event alone that people tend to stare at me more and the guys especially. They get in their own little group and stare and point at me. Me.. being a girl .. I am always wandering what is it that is so interesing about me that they feel that the have to make me feel uncomfortable pointing and laughing at me?:sarcastic:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
:thinking: Ah don't know... Red hair, mibbe? Redheads usually git treated like that fur some odd reason.

Y'know point n' laugh. "Look at that person wi' red hair" :sarcastic:

Though, that's jist one example. They might find something "funny" about what yer wearin', for example. Ah don't know, it might be summit really silly fur aw you know.

But from what ye describe it does seem rather immature on their part. Ah mean, there's hardly anythin' weird aboot going somewhere on yer own.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
The best thing - for you - to do is to totally wipe their presence from your awareness.

At a guess, I'd say they may be picking up that you're uncomfortable, and j e r k s being j e r k s - they make themselves feel better by picking on someone else.

So yea, pay no attention to these types. I mean, literally.

TreeBones

Hmm..maybe they're not doing it in a negative way.. maybe they're checking you out or something.. ?

Argentum

I don't know, but I get the same thing with the staring, even when I'm sure they can tell that I'm uncomfortable. Usually I just move if it doesn't stop. I've been shouted at from cars, too.

DepravedFurball

Sure sounds like sexual harassment to me though.

Oh, it almost certainly is.

Groups of guys are always on the prowl and looking for an easy target, or conquest, if you will. Once they spot one, the lewd and disgusting comments will follow, prompting the others to debase themselves even further.

If you had a guy accompanying you, they might glance over one or twice, and that would be the end of it. Ain't no guy gonna make disparaging remarks about another guy's woman... unless they've got no brains and no common sense. Or they just like being stabbed.

Unfortunately, if you're out on the town alone, there's simply no way to avoid that sort of thing. Other than just walking away and ignoring it.

Last edited:

MotherWolff

Banned
I notice when I go out to eat alone or are out at an event alone that people tend to stare at me more and the guys especially. They get in their own little group and stare and point at me. Me.. being a girl .. I am always wandering what is it that is so interesing about me that they feel that the have to make me feel uncomfortable pointing and laughing at me?:sarcastic:

I don't think this has anything to do with your gender. Anyone can be subjected to being made fun of.Is it the same group of guys who taunt you or different people? Just curious.

swissa

Everyone is subjected to ignorance and bully despite gender. Although the way women are projected and objectified in the media makes us a very easy target for satire.

For example: I was camping. When I camp I spend the whole time in just a bathing suit to attempt to get a tan - as does my mother and my brother. When my mom and I walk around - it's all cat calls or told to put some clothes on. On the other hand - nobody looks twice and my brother who is wearing just about the same amount of clothing.

Just my opinion - I feel women are judged far more harshly physically. Although it would be nice if there was a change, you just have to learn to ignore it and move on!

No matter what you look like or your gender though - people will always find something to taunt you for. Sadly.

shyflower

It is always different people. Sometimes I see the same people every week and those continue to do it every time. I am a natural brunette who has never dyed my hair.. I don't wear makeup either. I usually wear jeans and a nice shirt when I go out. Sometimes I wear a dress just above the knees. I don't think I am dressing inappropriately to go out. I think it is because I am by myself and there is no defense from me. I feel like I have to deal with it sitting there thinking of what I would like to do or say but feel if I were to....then I would be worse off and they would try even harder to make me feel self conscious and feel bad about how I look.

Argentum

It is always different people. Sometimes I see the same people every week and those continue to do it every time. I am a natural brunette who has never dyed my hair.. I don't wear makeup either. I usually wear jeans and a nice shirt when I go out. Sometimes I wear a dress just above the knees. I don't think I am dressing inappropriately to go out. I think it is because I am by myself and there is no defense from me. I feel like I have to deal with it sitting there thinking of what I would like to do or say but feel if I were to....then I would be worse off and they would try even harder to make me feel self conscious and feel bad about how I look.

I often think that, too, because I'm sure people not standing up to them gives them a power trip and makes them feel as though they can just continue as they are. There are no negative consequences to whatever they're getting out of it, so why would they stop?

I don't know what I'd say, though, so I just leave.

A couple weeks ago some guy stared at me at a local coffee shop until I moved to get away from him. I was so nervous I knocked over my coffee. The women nearby offered to help me clean it up and asked if my netbook was okay...

I know it's a bias, but it's hard not to have one with incidents like that.

OceanMist

I notice when I go out to eat alone or are out at an event alone that people tend to stare at me more and the guys especially.

Anyone that is alone at certain events is going to stick out like a sore thumb. It's nature's way of observing someone that one is different.

I've gone to many places alone, and depending on when and where you go, some places you'll be judged very harshly and other places people won't really judge.

A good example is if a person goes out to "hopping" college bars by themself (yes, I've done that a couple times) they will be judged quite a bit. The reason they judge in most cases is because they wonder why I am alone, because almost nobody goes to those type of bars at that time (late night) alone.

I think a lot has to do with timeframe. It's seen as perfectly normal to go to go to a bar to get a coffee or drink by yourself at noon, but it starts getting more weird the later in the day you do it and by nighttime people "hanging out" alone downtown in my city is seen as extremely weird, in fact, it just plain hardly ever happens unless it's some crazy looking homeless person which is more accepted because well, they are seen as crazy to begin with.

The bottom line is society expects people to have friends. So when someone gives off the appearance of not having friends, it will make people stop and stare and talk at times.

I am a male, by the way, and have gotten made fun of quite a bit while by myself. I don't think gender has all that much to do with it.

Last edited:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Oh, it almost certainly is.

Groups of guys are always on the prowl and looking for an easy target, or conquest, if you will. Once they spot one, the lewd and disgusting comments will follow, prompting the others to debase themselves even further.

If you had a guy accompanying you, they might glance over one or twice, and that would be the end of it. Ain't no guy gonna make disparaging remarks about another guy's woman... unless they've got no brains and no common sense. Or they just like being stabbed.

Unfortunately, if you're out on the town alone, there's simply no way to avoid that sort of thing. Other than just walking away and ignoring it.

Wow, that's pretty harsh on us males... Please don't lump us all in together, we're not ALL raging sexual beast's looking for our next conquest. Both males and females have their share of complete twats. Some of us males actually do treat others with respect and kindness :thumbup:

Last edited:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Wow, that's pretty harsh on us males... Please don't lump us all in together, we're not ALL raging sexual beat's looking for our next conquest. Both males and females have their share of complete twats. Some of us males actually do treat others with respect and kindness :thumbup:

Yeah, douches will be douches. Male douches tend to act one way, female douches another, douches of different races and cultures have their own particular douchness that they'll exhibit. To clump everyone into the big douche basket just because they happen to be the same sex, race, etc... of the offending douche is pretty much kindergarten-level reasoning.

WeirdyMcGee

This bothers me to the extent that I often start shaking and have to have a cry as soon as I'm no longer in sight of said onlookers...
My mind just tends to get stuck on the idea of them *laughing* or judging me-- or even planning to attack me; whether they be a group of elderly folks, teenagers, boys, girls, etc... I really worry about it.

My mother and therapist tell me that when people are pointing-- they could be pointing at signs in the store or just motioning with their hands; or that they're talking about how attractive I am but... come on... -__-' I just can't buy it.
haha

So... it bothers me alot and my way of coping by reasoning with myself in my head only works about 10% of the time. The rest of the time, I cry. :kickingmyself:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
So... it bothers me alot and my way of coping by reasoning with myself in my head only works about 10% of the time. The rest of the time, I cry. :kickingmyself:

That's hardcore, Weirdy, but it's understandable.

I come home and seethe for days sometimes whenever someone gives me the stink-eye, or big-eyes... or any kind of ocular gesture. And like you say, my interpretation is ALWAYS negative and paranoia-based.