handwriting

schnookie

So I was doing research a couple weeks back and one of the websites mentioned that "motor functions" could possibly be impaired as a result of APD.

I'm assuming they are talking about handwriting. I'm 20 and my handwriting resembles that of a 2nd grader's. I don't know if it's from my 2nd grade teacher giving up on us on teaching us how to write properly or if it's a result of APD.

So I guess my question is, do you think your handwriting sucks? None of my letters ever have any conformity to one another, individual lines within letters are often crooked when they're supposed to be straight and they can also vary in sizes. The only way to get even conformity in my letters when writing is if I write at sloth speed, paying attention to every detail of each letter I'm writing.

splorff

You might be on to something there. My handwriting has always been poor. Other kids used to tease me about it when I was young.

rainbaby

LOL my too but I never thought about it that way. Well...the up side is that most of the school works in uni are typed. I usually print in all CAPS when I write so that way at lease my letters are around the same size and it dose look a little better.

Lea

Banned
You should certainly get a book about graphology, as the style we write says a lot about our character. Professional graphologers are sometimes hired by employers to evaluate new employees, they work for court etc. Because the handwriting can disclose not only character of the person, but also things like lying, manipulation, homosexuality, mental and physical diseases, discloses even people´s past and everything.

MotherWolff

Banned
Well I never thought my 3rd grade handwriting could be the result of APD. :eek: Its always been the same ever since I began writing; never worsening, never improving. And don't even get me started on my cursive! :/ I remember my 4th grade teacher was so concerned about that, she issued me a "how-to-do" book about cursive; free of charge. Yeah, my handwriting was that bad and still is. But I always assumed it was somekind of defect I inherited from my old man. Its comforting to know that my handwriting isn't the only one that looks like some form of primitive language; with words too close together, nearly under the lines on paper.

Lea said:
You should certainly get a book about graphology, as the style we write says a lot about our character. Professional graphologers are sometimes hired by employers to evaluate new employees, they work for court etc. Because the handwriting can disclose not only character of the person, but also things like lying, manipulation, homosexuality, mental and physical diseases, discloses even people´s past and everything.

Well if that's true, then my handwriting says alot of bad things about me like "YOU SUCK!!!! Hahahahaaa!" And it also says things like I'm a slow-witted 5 year old at heart...

schnookie

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17373892

The aim of the study was to examine the association between avoidant personality traits and motor impairment in childhood. The relationship between other personality traits and motor function was also explored. A population-based screened sample of 150 11-12-year-old children (50 socially anxious, 50 impulsive and 50 nonsocially anxious/nonimpulsive) was assessed using the Coolidge Personality and Neuropsycho- logical Inventory for Children (CPNI) and the Motor Assessment Battery for Children (MABC). Among the personality scales, avoidant personality traits were most strongly associated with motor impairment. Children with clinically avoidant personality traits (n = 31) showed a significantly poorer motor performance than children in the nonclinical avoidance group (n = 119). About 50% of the children with clinical avoidance obtained a motor score below the 5th percentile. No gender differences in motor performance were found in the clinical avoidance group. More research on the impact of motor impairment on psychological development is needed.

Of course, I think you have to have the right medical journal the view the actual study. Sad.

Lea

Banned
MotherWolff said:
Well if that's true, then my handwriting says alot of bad things about me like "YOU SUCK!!!! Hahahahaaa!" And it also says things like I'm a slow-witted 5 year old at heart...

Not necessarily! Anyway try to borrow (or buy) some book about graphology and evaluate your own writing according to it.

sketchy24

Actually... my handwriting is actually quite nice and elegant... and I'm a guy =/ Someone at work was like... OMG you write like a woman >.> Anyway. If I'm just rushing through it gets quite messy but still fancy swoops and swooshes and stuff.... Part of that I think is because when I was bored in school or where ever, and theres a pen in my hand, I'll write whatever comes into my head or just start doodling whatever. Or just write my name over and over just sitting there bored or something. Now its just kind of a habit...

bleach

Banned
The fuck? I'm pretty sure left or right slant is caused by which hand you write with, not personality.

sketchy24

Lea said:
This is from book Graphologie (Anne-Marie Cobbaert): "People with contact difficulties - whose causes reach from simple shyness till sick isolation of "I" - are leaving not only wide spaces between words and lines, but also leave wide right margin...."
Generally right slant of the writing signifies extraversion, openness, sociability - like if you lean toward other people, left slant is introversion, caution, mistrust, but also calculation and hypocricy. Vertical is something in between, can be also seen as cold and indifferent.
As I noticed, the majority of people have left slanted writing, it is always only me between them who has right slant (btw. hope "slant" is the right word).
Also people who write n like u (it´s called "girlanda") are seen as open, people who write n like n (it´s called "arcada") are rather conventional, pretentious, the image is important to them and how they appear on the outside. Sometimes they try to cover up or even lie (but this probably cannot be used alone as a proof of lie. Nevertheless there is caution advisable).
(I have girlanda btw.) Anyway this is just a very little and my english is not so good to explain everything, there are so many other interesting things about graphology so if you´re interested look into getting some book.

Well I guess I'm in the "it's all rubbish" camp. I write with my left and everything slants WAAY to the right. And I'm not any of those =/ Also my dad's handwriting is COMPLETELY different from my moms. You can at least read hers. He looks like he wrote his with his foot. Plus, you can write anyway you want it just takes practice. As far as how "nice" it looks... that just depends on the person doing it. But the style slants and all that, anyone can learn or change.

Danfalc

Banned
Im not sure that its an exact science and might not apply to everyone,but i think like alot of things we do sub-conciously.. like body language ect how we write can probaly give off subtle clues about us if your clever enough to understand and spot them and handwriting is probaly as unique as finger prints.Its deffo intresting.. I mean if you speak to people long enough... be it on the phone.. over emails or in person and get to know them well enough,you learn to pick up subtle certain things... Makes sence that you can probaly learn things from how people write.

Since ive been ill,my handwriting has changed and my style never stays consistent these days :? And im sure quite a few people have said somthing simlar in an older topic *shrugs*

Tamzin

Good handwriting depends partly on being relaxed, so maybe this is why so many people here feel their writing isn't very good. When you're tense you hold a pen awkwardly and this can show itself in your writing, with different sizes of letters, odd slants, etc. Some people can write well when on their own, but ask them to write something - a cheque maybe - in public with other people watching and their writing goes to pieces.

Try not to worry about your writing, then you might actually see it improve.

w*n*c*a*m

Actually, I read quite a lot of books about "handwriting and personality" and the explanation is logical and scientific. We might not be aware of it but what our handwriting shows is really a reflection of our personality, we just have to know how to interpret it. I can't really tell you in details because it's a broad subject... but it's really interesting. And I can say that it's not some bogus study because they've shown a lot of proofs and I've actually tried to interpret my family and friend's handwriting and I think it's accurate.

For example:

My Dad- he is very neat and organized, and his handwriting really says it all... it looks typewritten. That's how disciplined he is.

My bestfriend in highschool- we have a lot of similarities and she's also a shy and quiet person like me. No wonder our adviser keeps on babbling how she can't tell the difference between my bestfriend's handwriting and mine. (but at that time, I'm not aware about graphology)

My handwriting- I don't really like my handwriting because it doesn't look neat plus it's like a handwriting of an elementary student. And yeah, I'm a disorganized and immature person... so I don't have to wonder!

LOL! actually... if you're really interested in psychology (like me)...there are really lots of interesting topics about it. Like FACE LANGUAGE and SLEEP POSITION... it might reveal something from your personality that you're not aware of.