Hello to you all, usefull info for you.

Flatcap

Just wanted to say hi as I stumbled across this forum whilst searching for some information.

I started suffering with HH in my mid 20's (I'm now 39) and I was very fortunate to have an understanding wife and doctor. My main problem was I'm an actor and when I'm not acting I work as a salesman, two jobs that don't lend themselves to HH very well. My main parts that cause me problems are underarm and palms. I took Propanthaline for a long time and used various underarm AC deodorants which had little effect. To cut a very long story short I ended up having a Sympathectomy in 1999 which worked very well and still does today. However, I do get some compensatory sweating on my chest, back and stomach area but this is much more manageable with Propanthaline than the underarm and palm sweating was. But I do still get a dry mouth and on some days it just doesn't seam to work, no idea why??

But this is the reason for my post.....many people who have had a Sympothectomy will suffer from compensatory sweating (CS) on the head, neck and face when eating certain foods. I was particularly bad with cheese, chips, salt and vinegar crisps, bacon, and most spicy foods. Anyway, I have a prolapsed disc in my lower back and often find it difficult to sleep because I struggle to get comfortable. I take strong pain killers but I was still struggling. I went to see my doctor and he put me on a drug called Amitriptyline. Now these are supposed to be used for depression and also for helping pain killers work better for people with severe back problems. However, since taking these I have noticed that I get no CS when eating the foods that would normally cause me major problems. Even to the extent that I had a Chicken Tika Madras last night and my head was as dry as a bone. I told my Doc about this and he says he didn't know anything about it helping with CS in HH.

So there you go chaps, if you get bad CS from certain foods after having a sympothectamy have a word with your doc and if they're happy to put you on them talk to the about Amitriptyline.

By the way, I mentioned that I'm an actor. I'm far from being a household name but I've had some fairly good parts and did my first feature film last year which is released in the next month or so. My ultimate plan is to get into a high profile position and then raise awareness for HH. Many people have no idea of the problems we endure both physically and emotionally and I think if someone was to make the general public more aware it it wouldn't be so bad because peoples perception of our problem would change.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Darren.

Jezza

Hi there,

interesting story...I've read the odd journal about meds against depression also releaving from sweating, good to hear it does something for you too.

I have a question about the disc though...

Did you have that or a long time or did you have HH already before the prolapsed disc...?

I have had HH or a long time, but it developed very strongly when I was 16-17 when in a short period of time I grew quite a lot and had quite some back pain. I never really bothered about that too much, I figured it was normal when growing that fast. However, lately I've been noticing more trouble with my back and neck...I was thinking maybe there's a link with the sweating. It is a sensitive area with the spinal cord etc...I'm thinking there might be some injury...

Flatcap

Hi Jezza.

I'm not sure if there's any connection at all because nearly all my problems have been in the lower part of my spine. I could be wrong though, I'm only working on that assumption because the sympathetic nerve isn't near my problem area.

I've had L5/S1 and L4 discs replaced and I am due to have another operation this year but have deferred it for a little while because of work commitments. Also the pain is manageable at the moment albeit with strong pain killers like Co-dydramol 30/500 and Tramadol, which isn't ideal I know but I have to work when the work is available.

The first time I slipped a disc was when I was 19 and in the military, I was bedded down for a few days then put on light duties and physio until I was fit again. I then didn't really have any back problem until my mid 20's, apparently it's a life style thing. I've played football all my life just about, rugby, been in the military, rode a BMX for 20 year, done rallying for 15 years so they've just put it down to wear and tear, which I accept.

But also my HH didn't start to my mid 20's either, or should I say it became a problem around then. I did sweat a lot before that but didn't really give it much thought until the inevitable pi$$ taking started...sweaty betty, get a shower you scruff, etc. etc. You know the score! That's when I started to do something about it. At first my Dr was very good about it and referred me to my local hospital. However, the first consultant I saw was an total tw@t and I'm being polite. His attitude was "Tough, live with it" so I pursued a second opinion and got referred to another hospital and finally got it sorted.

Sorry it's a bit of a long winded answer so I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

Kind regards.

Darren.

Jezza

Yeah thanks that's good info...

I thought that the sympathetic nervous system is placed throughout the spine though?

For me the problem used to be confined to my lower back too, but lately I've been having some problems with my neck too. Not really a constant pain, but an annoying feeling like "all the bolts and screws aren't properly aligned"...especially when I wake up.
In my lower back it's more or less the same thing, sometimes I've had the feeling my spine 'tries to collapse' and it gives a brief shock of pain, probably because a nerve gets trapped. Luckily I haven't had that in a while now anymore though.

I'm a student so I don't have to do physically intensive work on a daily basis, which means in general it's just a minor inconvenience, especially in comparison with the HH, after playing sports it gets worse but still my main concern is obviously whether the two (back pain and sweating) are related. At least I'm going to bring it up next time I go to a doc. I don't know about wear and tear, I always played a lot of sports but not rugby or football (those do'nt really exist in my country :)) and I did some work in summer as a teen working at a distribution centre for supermarkets, loading up boxes of juice carts and water most of the day, which was quite intensive and probably not the smartest thing to do at that age. Still, I would be dissapointed in the quality of my spine if that would have worn it out...

There was someone else on this forum to who mentioned the troubles he had with back pain but it could all well be coincidence of course.

Flatcap

but not rugby or football (those do'nt really exist in my country Smile)

One does Jezza but you probably refer to it as Soccer, which I'm sure being Dutch you are fully aware of :wink: if not where have you been for the last 30 years!

Only messing my friend.

It would be interesting to know if to two are connected, please keep me informed of the developments.

Kind regards.

Darren.

missyv

Hi Flatcap

Hi flatcap, I found your post interesting.

I'm a 47 yr/o female with plantar HH. I visited lots of podiatrist in New York before relocating to Baltimore, MD and having a dermatologist what it was, just recently.

When I first arrived here, I had a good job with benefits, but I lost it when I could no longer travel on public transportation. Didn't find out about HH in time to find a doc here in Bal. that specializes in HH. Even though I was housebound before leaving NY I felt great when I first arrived, thought whatever it was had just disappeared. Thought it may have just been stress.

I once emailed a doc. in California (Dr. Reisen) regarding the surgeries for HH. i.e., ETS. Thought I could get pro-bono surgery for my awful problem. Ha, Ha :D :D Don't ask me what I was thinking that day!!

But, what I'd like to ask you is.. was the surgery painful? I'm sure you had insurance to cover, but is it very expensive? I think Dr. Reisen quoted me an out of pocket expense of around $5,000. How long is the hospital stay and how long does it take before you can get back to work. I'm wondering if it helps plantar HH.

Also, I'm a smoker, (really want to stop, but every time I get motivation up about quitting--get stressed about HH) :( and I'm scared for them to go messing around my lungs, cutting nerves etc.... Is this worry legitimate :?:

Sorry to hear about your back pain , but it's great that you were able to have the Sym. surgery and get such good results for HH.

Jezza

Ah yes, well we call it football too, calling it soccer is frowned upon, but I thought you meant American Football, since you were also talking about rugby. Yeah, we play that a lot over here, I've always done too and still do on a leisurely basis with some friends every week :lol: .

I have no news yet on the back pain...I did find out I have some thyroid problems. Problem is it takes so long between doc appointments it all goes much slower than I want.

I'm thinking now about just going to a private clinic to have an MRI. Considering I'm in The Netherlands and my situation that shouldn't at all be necessary and it irritates me a lot but in the end I'm not going to wait another couple of months to get things sorted out just because they don't want to take HH and everything seriously.

Problem is I always have to deal with dermatologists while really what I nead is a neurologist or endocrinologist. The dermatologists have all gone brain dead by having to see people coming in with rashes all day.

Aramid

The drug you mentioned has a side effect known as: sexual dysfunction. I cannot take that drug since sex is God's gift to humans.

Flatcap

Sorry it's been a while so I'll try and answer your questions as one.

The ETS surgery wasn't very nice I have to say because they collapse your lung when they do each side. When I came initially came round I was in intensive care on a ventilator because my left lung wouldn't re-inflate on it's own. It was several hours before it decided to work its self. The best advice I can give you is use surgery as your very last option as it isn't a particularly pleasant experience. As for paying for it we have the NHS in the UK so we get medical care free but we pay for it direct through our earnings, like a TAX so to speak.

I also found that stopping smoking actually helped with HH and cutting down on the coffee. I would advise you to stop smoking anyway just for your general healths sake :)

We also frown upon football being called soccer, it's an Americanism but hey ho. They have a world series and only teams from the U.S. take part - work that one out.

By the way, absolutely no problems with Amertriptaline causing sexual problems.

Thanks.