Hi.

Collin

Hi, my name is Collin and I'm 18 years old.

Ever since I was little I've always been nervous around people. Specifically strangers. Social anxiety, of which I was ignorant of until about a year ago, had little effect on me until I was older. It seemed to surface just around 6th grade. Up until that point I was able to warm up to people eventually becoming somewhat of a class clown even.

Once 6th grade hit I began getting teased for various reasons and ended up fearing people a great deal more. By 10th grade I had isolated myself completely and began feeling depressed and suicidal. I left high school in my junior year and was forced, by my parents, into Jr. college. Feeling just as inferior and socially awkward as ever I could only muster about a month before quiting.

Here I am after lots of therapy, hostpital time (for depression), prescription drugs, and lonelines at age 18. Fortunetly, I'm feeling a great deal better these days. I've taken up flying, running, and am currently attempting to re-establish a social life.

I feel as though the last step in recovering from the years of depression is overcoming my social anxiety and making some friends. I have a great deal of trouble holding up my side of a conversation and I feel that my lack of self-esteem is to blame.

I truly believe that a good foundation of friends is the cure to my self-esteem and social anxiety problems. I'd much appreciate tips on where to meet nice, smart people. Preferably my age. I've tried college and I really feel as though I need to go into that setting with some friends to support me before hand. I've also tried some community service but I've found that the one's with lots of volunteers my age are usually full or hard to get into.

I'm not entirely socially incompetent, I just need a structured place to meet friends. If you have any ideas or comments I'd really appreciate them.

Collin

I've tried some support groups. The ones I tried were not that helpful. No one had the same problems I do and I mostly sat and listened to their storys. That doesn't mean there arn't other groups out there but I havn't found a good one yet. A group just for social anxiety would be wonderful.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous

Hi again Collin!

Yes, good groups ARE difficult to find, and it would be extremely discouraging listening to stories that you can't relate to, and I would imagine they could make you feel depressed? A group for social anxiety would be perfect. :wink:

I have been looking for a group or groups as well, and it's next to impossible trying to find any. I found some on the internet and the ones listed were so out of date that the phone numbers listed were reassigned to businesses and residents. How embarrassing do you it is to tell Global Moving & Storage you are interested in joining the support group they are offering? Needless to say, I emailed to website and asked them to PLEASE update their sites. :x

Gee Collin, I could suggest a number of places to meet people in general, but meeting NICE, intelligent people is a whole other ballgame. How does the saying go for females, "You need to kiss a few toads/frogs to finally hook up with the prince"? Maybe the same one applies for males, maybe you need to kiss a few 'frogettes' or toadies? Just be careful... I've been kissing toads for a looooooooong time, and frankly, it has gotten way OLD. I think my prince fell off his horse and cracked his skull. The horse probably skid on a frog!! sighhhh :(

Best wishes Collin!