Hiding?

Kanon

Does anyone have something that they hide behind, or some place that they can sort of hide in that makes them feel comfortable?

I have been doing photography for a couple of years, and I have noticed that whenever I have to go into public, I sort of hide behind my camera so people will think I am busy and sort of leave me alone.

Does anyone else have something like that?

aboobooboobooo

My car.

I can't eat inside restaurants so I eat in my car instead so I won't feel like a loner since I have no one to eat with me.

Kanon

>_< That is what I do on my lunch breaks at work. I usually just listen to music in my car. Plus I kind of feel self conscious eating when other people are around..

tjdr59

i hide behind my headphones. some times i wear them when I'm not even listening to music. its kind of a subtle way of keeping anyone who might want to talk away. . oh its also a way for me to listen to other peoples conversations without them knowing.

I have a huge problem with eating in public too.

Lewis

yep! books!!!

If I'm gonna hide away in my shell I may aswell learn something while I'm in there!!!

princess_haru

I hate eating in public too. I always feel like I look greedy and get paranoid that there's food on my face or between my teeth. I probably don't eat as messily as all that, but sometimes my nervousness causes me to eat clumsily which makes me even more self-conscious :oops:

Hiding... well I've had long hair almost all my life and I often hide behind that, using it as a curtain between me and other people's gazes.

LLawliet

princess_haru said:
I hate eating in public too. I always feel like I look greedy and get paranoid that there's food on my face or between my teeth. I probably don't eat as messily as all that, but sometimes my nervousness causes me to eat clumsily which makes me even more self-conscious :oops:

I also dont eat in public at my work,outside I do but I feel all nervous.

princess_haru said:
Sometimes i will spend my breaks at work in my car, when i feel vunerable..
I also spend all my breaks alone also,sometimes in my car,about hiding I also used books,earphone,wearing a cap among other things.......

celestialrecluse

i used to hide behind my camera also! or a big important looking book! that always worked as im sure there are not many people that would want to start a conversation about criminalistics or forensic entomology!lols!

now i dont really go out much, when my parents have friends round (which they seem to find as much a nescesity as breathing) i go out to my brothers treehouse and read, i do get the odd occasional drunk person wanting to ask what im reading, but i simply distract them by asking if they need a top up! lols!

Kanon

celestialrecluse said:
i used to hide behind my camera also! or a big important looking book! that always worked as im sure there are not many people that would want to start a conversation about criminalistics or forensic entomology!lols!

Lol! If only that worked in my area. If one is reading, people here seem to have no problem interrupting them. In fact, the bigger the book, the more attention it grabs. haha

This kind of leads to my next question. What do all of you do when you can't go to the places or do the things that all you to hide?

The last few semesters, most of the instructors I have had are very much into "group assignments" and I seem to always get grouped with lots of girls, or intimidating guys.

What happens then?

alex29

hair, searching my purse for something, using my cell phone, headphones

basically i make myself look busy with something so that i dont have to make eye contact with people

also being in my car alone makes me feel worse, unlike eveyone else so far. i always think people will look in and notice me just sitting there and wonder why im not driving or with someone

anonymous_r

Yep, I do that.

When I use to go to school I'd deliberately pretend I was working hard so teachers wouldnt pick my name out and ask me a question but usually they did and then I wouldn't know what to say.

And I do it in other situations, like at the dinner table with my own family, I just think someone will ask me something so I go out to the kitchen and pretend I'm getting a drink or something.

Why does life have to be so hard. :oops:

sketchy24

I'm always trying to make myself look busy as well. At work I read the newspaper and hold it up to pretty much hid my face from anyone. Or I just pretend that article I've read 5 times now is REALLY interesting...

And I can't just sit in my car. Maybe if I'm eating or pretending to talk on the cellphone, but I can't just sit there. To me that just screams "LONER!"

I used to have really long hair for a guy (shoulder length I guess), and I'd hide behind that a lot. I felt so naked when I finally got it cut (I hated my hair long but I never wanted to cut it cause having it long for so long then cutting it would draw attention ("OMG you cut your hair") and I wouldn't have anything to hide behind anymore).

If I can't hide and something is bothering me so much, I just say I have to go to the bathroom and take a little time out. Comeback a bit later pretending I don't feel that well and then that way hopefully wont think I'm weird or anything, just feeling a little sick at the moment....

slicenrice

i will usually be listening to music to block out other people. sometimes i will also have a book that i may/may not be reading. and finally, if all else fails, the cell phone comes out, and fake text messages get sent. yeah i know i'm too cool :roll:

roseycheeks

i hide behind my mobile sometimes
music is great as well, especially on public transport
and i feel much more at ease when i can wear my sunglasses

alex29

roseycheeks said:
i hide behind my mobile sometimes
music is great as well, especially on public transport
and i feel much more at ease when i can wear my sunglasses

i love wearing my sunglasses too. people dont notice my eyes as much and i dont have to worry about eye contact

jamie99

I used to have long hair too for a guy too, when i cut it i started wearing a cap and haven't stopped wearing it since.